Calories from P90X vs. Strength Training

Options
I've heard that the calories shown on my HRM for strength training really aren't accurate and likely shouldn't be included with respect to calories eaten back. For that reason, I typically just enter 1 minute for every 10 minutes I lift weights just for the sake of noting that I lifted weights.

However, how accurate are the claories on my HRM if I do P90X? With P90X, say chest and back, being somewhat of a strength training and cardio workout, what percentage of my HRM calories should I actually count?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Calories from HRM aren't the most accurate for non intense cardio exercise. Their algorithms are not designed for it. That is why it's much better to include exercise in your TDEE calculations and you will not have to worry about the calories burned.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    but that is the point.. he is asking about intense cardio work. with a HIT type workout like P90X, you are lifting but it is also very intense from the cardio load perspective. I can say that i use the number, but did not eat it all back, from my HRM and it would be a large number when I first started it and my numbers are smaller as my body got stronger and more able to handle the work load.