Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

ANOREXIA NERVOSA SYMPTOMS

pannellkat
pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Anorexia nervosa, commonly referred to simply as anorexia, is one type of eating disorder. More importantly, it is also a psychological disorder. Anorexia is a condition that goes beyond out-of-control dieting. A person with anorexia often initially begins dieting to lose weight. Over time, the weight loss becomes a sign of mastery and control. The drive to become thinner is actually secondary to concerns about control and/or fears relating to one's body. The individual continues the endless cycle of restrictive eating, often accompanied by other behaviors such as excessive exercising or the overuse of diet pills, diuretics, laxatives, and/or enemas in order to reduce body weight, often to a point close to starvation in order to feel a sense of control over his or her body. This cycle becomes an obsession and, in this way, is similar to any type of addiction.

Making her or himself throw up
Taking pills to urinate or have a bowel movement
Taking diet pills
Not eating or eating very little
Exercising a lot, even in bad weather or when hurt or tired
Weighing food and counting calories
Eating very small amounts of only certain foods
Moving food around the plate instead of eating it

****Okay so after reading this I can see how a couple of these symptoms apply to me. I am in NO WAY calling myself anorexic...but afer looking at some of the symptoms...how do I prevent myself from becoming this. I do weigh my food and I think I do have an obsession with counting calories, restrictive eating and I exercise when I'm sick, bad weather, sore muscles, TOM, etc.
I take laxative teas for bowel movements but that is not to lose weight, that is just because I am getting older and can't seem to get enough fiber in my diet so I use laxative tea 2-3 times a week as an aide. How do you know when you are out of control?

Replies

• cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    "Weighing food and counting calories "

Isn't that why we're all here?

As for being out of control, to me that would be excessive dieting when you are already at or below a healthy weight.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    If you are meeting your calorie goals- meaning you eat 1200 or so you are safe.
    If you see yourself correctly in the mirror you are safe- if you have a highly distorted body image and are underweight and only eat one meal a day, I would say that you have something to be worried about.

Restrictive eating in this context means that you eat nearly no calories and only very very few foods- such as one cracker and one carrot- not full meals. If you are avoiding chocolate cake, fried foods, and the like it's not restrictive eating, it's choosing wisely.

But- the fact that you are concerned is a good sign. It's healthy to examine our relationship with food, as it is easy in this society to develop and unhealthy relationship with eating/exercise/weight. If you are really worried, you can always consult a psychologist or counselor in your area.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Yeah - sometimes it does feel like your getting sucked in too far! I wouldn't worry about it too much until you get close to your goal. If you are at a healthy weight, then set your goal 10 lbs lower, then 10 more, then 10 more, then you find your self in the underweight category and continue to set weight loss goals and push yourself then you probably need help! I would guess that if you're thinking that coherently about it, you don't have a problem. Not nearly defensive enough . . . Lol!

Congratulations on your loss so far!
  • if you have to ask, then you're good.....trust me, there is a part of you that will KNOW what you are doing is wrong and harmful for your body--i am speaking as someone who has been classified as anorexic and bullemic(10 yrs ago, in college) and worked hard to overcome it. it's kinda like being an alcoholic, you'll always be considered in recovery---so when i do diet i have to be exceedingly cautious about how i do it. there is nothing wrong with watching what you eat, weighing your food, working out......but when you are only eating a couple hundred calories a day, working out for hours at a time, and most importantly lying to the people around you about what you eat and how you work out THEN you have a problem.
    but i think it's awesome that you are conscious about it and aware of the similarities between how we diet and how it can get out of control....it is a slippery slope for those that aren't aware of that dangers.....
    :)
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    The definition you posted was very vague - here are the clinical criteria used for diagnosing Anorexia:

From http://www.psychologynet.org/dsm/anorexia.html

Anorexia Nervosa
    Onset is usually in adolescence and affects females 10:1 over males. Prevalence in young women is up to 1%. Some will also have episodes of binge eating or purging. Anorexia is a life-threatening disorder, with mortality over 10%.

Early signs may include withdrawal from family and friends, increased sensitivity to criticism, sudden increased interest in physical activity, anxiety or depressive symptoms.

A.Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g., weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected; or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).
    B.Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.
    C.Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.
    D.In postmenarcheal females, amenorrhea, i.e., the absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles. (A woman is considered to have amenorrhea if her periods occur only following hormone, e.g., estrogen, administration.)
    Specify if:

•Restricting Type: during the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has not regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behavior (i.e., self-induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics, or enemas)
    •Binge-Eating/Purging Type: during the current episode of Anorexia Nervosa, the person has regularly engaged in binge-eating or purging behavior (i.e., self-induced vomiting or the misuse of laxatives, diuretics, or enemas)
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Thanks for your comments. I know I am NOT this and do not want to become this but like someone mentioned, sometimes it feels like I am getting sucked in too far lol. Family and friends make comments about me being obsessed with calorie counting (a lot of us are) and sometimes I find myself wanting to rather be at the gym than being around my family - gosh I know that sounds bad but that is only sometimes when the kids are getting on my nerves!! lol

I can totally see myself getting to my goal weight and possibly still not being happy...but I guess everyone has issues about their bodies, even if everyone else thinks it is perfect. but that doesnt necessarily mean anorexic. Thanks YAY'LL!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    I have known from my past a couple of individuals with that disorder - the one was a pre-teen and her parents took her to see doctors about it and had her on meds. The second unfortunately had no one step in for her and she ended up with a heart attack and that is when it was realized that she had a problem. (She passed away not long afterwards). I shared the stories as I remember them and wonder if they really had any idea what they were doing. So in your case it sounds like you are safe as you realize what you are doing and take accountability. LIke CMW72 said, we are all doing the counting and watching - face it we are here to change our habits and become more aware of what we are doing. The one thing that was offered at the beginning of every Psych class I have ever taken was basically '... not read too much into the diagnosis. We fit all of the symptoms somewhere or at sometime ... '. You are doing wonderful! If you should have concerns then ask your doctor what he/she thinks.
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    I've actually been wondering about myself lately. I eat enough technically but I completely OBSESS over what I do eat. I weigh myself if given the chance almost ten times a day. I pinch and measure and poke and cry about my body/weight often. I tell myself in my head over and over that I'm fat.

I don't have an eating disorder but I worry about my tendency to develop one. I honestly don't know what to do about it though. I don't want to gain weight again and not counting calories seems impossible to comprehend. I'm still "overweight" but I recognize that my body image is distorted at times.

So, the question is- where to from here?
This discussion has been closed.