carbs/protein numbers

cds2327
cds2327 Posts: 439
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I totally realize that I shouldn't go over my numbers for fat, obviously.....but what about protein?
i am assuming that staying under my recommended amount of carbs will help me lose weight, but I love protein.
will i gain weight if i go over my recommended amount of protein?

Replies

• I try to keep my protein a little higher because protein and healthy fats help keep the blood sugar at a normal level and therefore keep our body if fat burning mode.
    My goal is 30% protein/40% carbs/30% fat. But would rather have the fat (healthy fats) and protein go over than carbs. But that's my personal opinion.
    God bless,
    Karen
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    I try to keep my fats down as low as I can, still making sure I get some fat intake though. I have 60 grams of protein per day. I go to a nutrionist and those were her recommendations.
  • Michelle923
    Michelle923 Posts: 28 Member
    But to the original question, how does excess protein effect our weight loss efforts? My calories were in line today, but I was something like 34 grams over my target. Does any know what the impact of the excess protein?
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

If you have too much protein all the time(atkins diet etc) it can put alot of stress on your kidneys. Also, if you have too much protein your body will startying taking calcium from your bones. Theres also evidence that eating too much protein can cause or aggravate allergies.

I am 163 lbs, I consumer 60g of protein a day as set by my nutrionist.

Hope this helps :)
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Adding to my topics.
    Good Info here.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Anything in excess is going to be stored as fat, but protein excess can be tough on the kidneys. However, I wouldn't worry about overdoing the protein if it is here and there, only if it is a constant problem.
This discussion has been closed.