Exercise and Calories??

Options
2»

Replies

• YouniquelyInspired
    Options
    Yes! Eat those calories! I know it sounds completely against the point of losing weight by eating more calories, but you NEVER want to go under your total calories per day. which for you is 1330. When you do, your body starts storing fat (survival mode) Exercising allows you to speed up your metabolism which is KEY to losing weight. Calories is just the fuel you need to maintain healthy living while you're doing that. Kind of hard to explain, but in a nutshell, the object is to exercise. Exercise increases your metabolism (the main objective). So yes, I say definitely eat up those calories!

Info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Take your time to understand it because you don't want to make it that much more difficult to lose weight!
  • I'm still debating this. Im going to stop eating back my exercise calories and see how it works, because it looks as if eating them back keeps me at the same weight just about. However if I feel like I NEED to eat those calories back, I will if I feel famished :-)
    I'll let you guys know what happens!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise on here so I have the same goal everyday that includes my exercise. It is just easier for me to eat the 2000 than fuss with it for now. Good luck to you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results?hl=exercise+calories+psulemon&page=1#posts-10742097

Eat at least some of them because not all weight loss is equal. If you don't eat them, your overall weight loss MIGHT be greater but that is because you lose muscle and fat. If you eat them, you reduce the amount of muscle you lose. But here is the advantage of eating them... when you reduce muscle loss, your metabolism is higher, you burn more calories, and you need to lose less weight to have a fit body (you will become defined quicker). To put give it more perspective, every women I have designed a calorie plan for is eating 1700-2000 total calories a day and they all lose. Its simple, fuel your body or it will fuel itself by catabolizing your muscle.
  • carfanman
    carfanman Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories if I'm hungry. If not, I don't usually.

this!, bingo. I try to eat three balanced meals a day, plus snacks and exercise, if I am hungry then I eat, if not then I do not eat them back.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yes..or most of it! MFP calculates your goal to lose weight if you do not exercise at all! Of course exercise is a definite plus!
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    MFP already has your deficit calculated. Anything extra (exercise) is not. Exercise burns are estimates. I would recommend eating them.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends that I take in 1330 calories per day....If I reach that amount and then burn off say 200 calories with exercise that day, do I eat back that 200? Or do I stay at 1130 calories for the day?? Sorry this might be a dumb question but for some reason I'm not sure. Thanks!

Using MFP as designed you eat the calories back. I would suggest doing that for various reasons. Realize that the calorie goal MFP gives is lower than other sites and not using it the way it is designed will result in a reasonable calorie cut becoming a huge calorie cut resulting in more muscle loss. The goal here is to lose fat, and your body can only use so much fat in a day. Obese people can use more, but the more a person loses, the less fat their body can burn in a day. If the calorie deficit is much bigger than that, your body will take the energy it needs by breaking down your muscles. So use MFP as designed which means eating your exercise calories.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise, I find that this simplifies the whole 'eating back?' dilemma greatly.