Sugar - is it REALLY an addiction, or a media myth?

Options
Just wondered what people's thoughts were on this subject as I find it really interesting how certain nutrients/food groups get pathologised by the media.

H :)

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The question you have to ask is at what dose and in what context. At an excessive dose an and and everyday context, there is some research that indicates that sugar actives the same part of the brain as cocaine. At reasonable doses and common sense use, not so much.
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    yup im addicted to sugar
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've always had a massive sweet tooth - sweet treats are really hard for me to avoid and I often crave something sweet, especially at the end of my meal.

But, I've been tracking for about 2.5 weeks now and I hate logging that I ate candy/sweets, so I haven't been. I didn't go through any withdrawal and when I ate a golden delicious apple on Saturday, it tasted hyper sweet to me. So, just after a couple of weeks, I've managed to curb my appetite for it, at least somewhat. I'm still a sucker for chocolate milk...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    anything that you try and suppress or reduce form your diet becomes addictive LOL
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with addiction.

I've pretty much cut out all sugar possible, and I don't crave it anymore. When I do eat something sweet, I usually find it TOO sweet.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not addicted to sugar. I just like it.
  • sundrine
    Options
    I hope it's not an addiction, but I crave it like it is one. It's probably because I'm lacking a certain nutrient in my diet though.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I've never known of anybody to go into true withdrawal (muscle twitching, shakes, vomiting, etc) from giving up sugar.
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    Sugar on its own, I like, but I can put it down as needed, but if you combine that sugar with fat and salt, it's a whole 'nother ball game. After eating that combo for a while, I actually do go through a withdrawal upon its removal--takes about three weeks, though the worst is the first 10-12 days. It feels very similar to how I felt when I quit smoking.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    there is some research that indicates that sugar actives the same part of the brain as cocaine.

This is extremely misleading on the part of those writing such a study. Cocaine activates the pleasure center of the brain, but so does hugging your child, seeing puppies, and smiling. Cocaine and sugar have very little in common.

Sugar is being demonized because lots of folks refuse to accept that eating less and moving more really and truly IS the answer.

It's easier to demonize a food group or ingredient than it is to say the plain boring truth: eat less and get moving, and keep doing that until you have lost the weight you need to lose. Patience isn't sexy. Nor does it make for sensational headlines.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It isn't an addiction like drugs, but the more I eat the more I want. The less sugar I eat, the less I want.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The question you have to ask is at what dose and in what context. At an excessive dose an and and everyday context, there is some research that indicates that sugar actives the same part of the brain as cocaine. At reasonable doses and common sense use, not so much.
    This is part of the "media myth." It's true the body releases dopamine when you eat sugar (the same pathway as cocaine,) however, dopamine is released by the brain for thousands of things you do each day. It's the human body's reward system, and it's how the brain "teaches" you to do things. Exercise also activates that pathway in your brain, as does eating other foods that your body needs. This is also where "comfort food" comes from.
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    For me it is but I think I'm more sensitive than most. I'm fine without sugar in my life. Have a tiny bit and its like I can't get enough so I just crave and crave and crave. And wreck my diet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    there is some research that indicates that sugar actives the same part of the brain as cocaine.

This is extremely misleading on the part of those writing such a study. Cocaine activates the pleasure center of the brain, but so does hugging your child, seeing puppies, and smiling. Cocaine and sugar have very little in common.

Sugar is being demonized because lots of folks refuse to accept that eating less and moving more really and truly IS the answer.

It's easier to demonize a food group or ingredient than it is to say the plain boring truth: eat less and get moving, and keep doing that until you have lost the weight you need to lose. Patience isn't sexy. Nor does it make for sensational headlines.
    This last paragraph is key. Doesn't anyone find it odd how sugar (and carbs in general) have been demonized using the EXACT SAME arguments as were used to demonize fat in the 80's and 90's? Once the scientific consensus comes back that says sugar isn't the problem (just like science figured out fat wasn't the problem,) this same group of demonizers will probably turn these same arguments onto protein. After all, it fits the pattern. Fat is bad, carbs are good, then carbs are bad, protein is good, so protein is bad, fat is good is the next logical step.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Doing lines of sugar only makes my boogers stickier. And the high is nowhere near as good as cocaine.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Partly demonized because the ONLY reason we eat sugar is because we like it. Our bodies don't Need us to eat sugar to survive.
    Sweet things just Taste good. The more you like something. the more you want it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

This last paragraph is key. Doesn't anyone find it odd how sugar (and carbs in general) have been demonized using the EXACT SAME arguments as were used to demonize fat in the 80's and 90's? Once the scientific consensus comes back that says sugar isn't the problem (just like science figured out fat wasn't the problem,) this same group of demonizers will probably turn these same arguments onto protein. After all, it fits the pattern. Fat is bad, carbs are good, then carbs are bad, protein is good, so protein is bad, fat is good is the next logical step.

Totally agree!! If you overindulge in ANYTHING or in everything overall, you will have issues with health and weight control. That is where some common sense should come into play. It appears that is often too much to expect.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Doing lines of sugar only makes my boogers stickier. And the high is nowhere near as good as cocaine.

I have missed you! Glad you're back from the trip :)
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think it is absolutely addicting.