Ideas for Kielbasa

Options
ltlhmom
ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
Take Hillshire Farm - Lite Polska Kielbasa cut and boil for 8-10 minutes then take out and cut in half top with mashed potatoes, sprinkle with some cheese and bake at 350 until the cheese melts.

Any one else have some ideas? Or ideas of what you can serve with it?

Replies

• DEBDOUGLAS
    Options
    I cut it up into little bite size peices and take a tablespoon of olive oil and cook it in a fry pan until it carmelizes and add a bag of stir fry veggies and cook till tender. YUMMMMMM
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I like to use it in place of meat in spaghetti sauce. Or even do a light version of spaghetti sauce by using a can of diced tomatoes and similar flavors and bell peppers.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    i like those diets where you can eat things like that....mashed potatoes???????????hhhmmmmmmmm?

sweet
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We don't have sausages or hot dogs very often any more because they are incredibly high in sodium, however, when we were eating them, we would quarter the sausages, put them in the pan to cook through, and served with baked potatoes. Bangers & champ! YUM :)
  • rrlucero
    Options
    I've bought the Turkey kielbasa before and it's pretty tasty. I heat it up in a saute pan and like it plain with just mustard :happy:
  • dietingsucks
    Options
    Boiled dinner: potatoes (reds work really well), lite kielbasa, potatoes, carrots, small (or 1/2) head of cabbage -- cut everything up bite size into a deep skillet, add water to about half cover everything, season with Mrs Dash (or whatever spices you like) NO SALT, cover pan (make sure you use a lid that releases steam) and bring to boil then simmer until potatoes are tender-done (carrots will be a little crunchy)

Make sure to add water if it cooks down too much -- you don't want it to dry out. It serves up sort of like a stew... Sop up the juice with bread (pita works nicely too) :love:

I haven't made it in years so can't tell for sure the calorie count.

This is a modified "depression era" recipe my mom used to make when we were kids -- she learned it from her mom. My version is lower in sodium.

...dang. Now I'm hungry for it :tongue:
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I cut it up into little bite size peices and take a tablespoon of olive oil and cook it in a fry pan until it carmelizes and add a bag of stir fry veggies and cook till tender. YUMMMMMM

My mom more or less cooked it this way when I was a kid and served it over egg noodles.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I buy Turkey Kielbasa, chop it up and throw it in cabbage soup with celery, carrots, onions, garlic and cabbage with a veggie broth! So yummy
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Turkey kielbasa and sauerkraut. Ya, I know, loaded with sodium. I'm always up a pound the next day, but it's just water and I don't care. Good treat dinner and very lo-cal.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Turkey kielbasa and sauerkraut. Ya, I know, loaded with sodium. I'm always up a pound the next day, but it's just water and I don't care. Good treat dinner and very lo-cal.

I'm with Casper on this one - I haven't had it in YEARS (I'm actually a vegetarian now, so it's been a loooong time) but my mom used to cut up kielbasa (not the turkey kind though - never had that) and put that with sauerkraut in the crock-pot and let it cook all day. That was one of my favorite meals when I was a kid.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options

I'm with Casper on this one - I haven't had it in YEARS (I'm actually a vegetarian now, so it's been a loooong time) but my mom used to cut up kielbasa (not the turkey kind though - never had that) and put that with sauerkraut in the crock-pot and let it cook all day. That was one of my favorite meals when I was a kid.

Yes, that is really delicious!