purchase p90x or insanity? opinions please

Options
I want to go ahead and order one of these but not sure what to go for... leaning towards p90x. But i want some opinions and some advice from people with personal experience?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What are the goals you are trying to accomplish?
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    To look good naked lol

Gain muscle, lose fat :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I like Insanity because it doesn't require any sort of equipment. I've had great results with it so far!
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    To look good naked lol

Then p90x is probably your best bet. Insanity will help you lose weight and fat, but you won't gain any muscle with it.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I like Insanity because it doesn't require any sort of equipment. I've had great results with it so far!

I didn't know this... I love P90X but can't do all of it b/c it requires equipment/weights.
    Of course I've heard Insanity is much harder but with doing P90X - they say, "do what you can" etc. I suppose it would be the same with Insanity
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    What dies p90x offer that insanity doesnt?
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    P90X is more of a resistance workout. Good for building/defining muscle. Insanity is a great cardio workout which helps to lose the weight.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    To look good naked lol

Then p90x is probably your best bet. Insanity will help you lose weight and fat, but you won't gain any muscle with it.

This is not true. Insanity definitely builds muscle; I have noticed a huge difference in the 7 weeks I have been doing Insanity. All those pushups, lunges, squats, etc., have given me a lot of muscle that wasn't there, and I have also lost fat. From what I understand, P90x is more for strict muscle building, if you are already closer to your fat loss goal.
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't do either become a God.

Pretty simple really.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If your main objective is to gain muscle, p90x
    If your main objective is to lose weight, Insanity.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Welllll....if you want to work with your own body weight (no equipment) do Insanity. If you like pull-ups do P90X. In a nutshell lol Also, with insanity you'll burn fat and look leaner. With P90X you'll get more RIPPED.....
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i have been doing p90x since Jan 2012, its great for losing fat and building muscle! i think insanity is more cardio and i wanted something with more weight lifting.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to have to use extra equipment, I also don't even have a nearby door frame for the pull up bar, so I have Insanity. I started week 3 on Sunday. I already notice a difference (so does my husband).
    I had been doing Jillian Michaels workouts (I have 6 DVDs) since April. I was doing two workouts a day, 5-6 days a week. I thought I was in decent shape. The Insanity fit test nearly killed me. I was sore for a week. I'm burning at least 300 calories with each workout (except Cardio Recovery). I'm already planning when to do the next round (after the holidays).
    One thing I also noticed is the amount of time per workout. The first month of Insanity is mostly 40 minutes per day. There is one longer workout (Pure Cardio plus Cardio Abs) but that's it. Month 2 workouts trend a bit longer. The P90X workouts all go closer to an hour and there's one that's 90 minutes. I don't have that much time.
    I did a couple of the P90X workouts (ones that didn't require equipment) and they were plenty hard. So if you have the room for all the extra stuff and the time to do it, go for it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Torrent.

This sooooo annoys me. This is morally no better than walking into a shop and stealing it. These companies will go out if business is everyone does this and then us honest people will not be able to buy these programmes!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't agree that P90X is for muscle building. Or, it can be, but only if you eat at a calorie surplus and lift in the 6-8 rep range. P90X hits you all over, with smart recovery built in. The inclusion of weights makes it a fantastic calorie burn and it shreds you down, no doubt. On the downside, you need weights and a pull up bar to make it effective. If you don't have the weights heavy enough to push yourself, then you'll get less impressive results. It will majorly shred you down if you do it at a calorie deficit, while maintaining the muscle-mass you already have.

Insanity is, IMHO, a badly designed programme in comparison with P90X. The reason being that the same body parts are hit over and over again without adequate recovery. The chances of injury are massively higher with this approach. Sure you may burn more calories per workout with Insanity, but if you're hobbling around on a f*cked-up knee after three weeks, what good will it do you? Plus, for some unknown reason, the Insanity workout starts out with dynamic (but over aggressive) warm-up and then proceeds to a static stretching session halfway through the workout and then goes hell-for-leather again. This is just plain wrong in so many ways!

So, one vote for P90X here. If you commit to it, you will be a better machine by the end. And, more importantly, you will look amazing naked!
  • victoriannsays
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. i think im just going to go ahead and buy both!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Having dabbled with both I find the Insanity is nearly all cardio and plyometrics (jumping around) while P90X is more centered on weight training. As has been said above, you could ramp up the weights and do sets of 5-6 while the DVD folks are doing their longer sets with lighter weights.

Also, if you have a dooframe type pullup bar and resistance bands, you won't need extensive weights for P90X. There is a trainer on the DVD who uses resistance bands which is interesting to watch. Resistance bands are never going to be heavy weight sets though. I feel the resistance work in P90X is more to do with endurance (light long sets) and calorie burn rather than strength and muscle mass (heavy short sets).
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    To look good naked lol

Why don't you just lift weights 3 days per week and eat a deficit then
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member