Sodium Struggles?!?!

Options
Over the past 5 months I have lost a healthy 98# :) However, the last 3 weeks I have struggled to drop the final 2# of my 100# weight loss goal. I have been changing up my weight lifting and cardio routines throughout to prevent plateaus and have been doing great until now. I have a bodybugg so I know that my calories burned is less than calories consumed and should of achieved my goal already. I have just assumed that my weight plateau the last few weeks was just water weight due to sodium intake (3000 mg/day). With that being said I have been trying to control my sodium the last few weeks but no luck. My workout shirts dont show any signs of salty residue and I drink at least 24 glasses of water a day as well as a few diet sodas. I have also been trying to consume higher levels of potassium (usually around 2000 mg/day) but that hasnt worked either. Sorry for the long rant but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or suggestions?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Elle562018
    Elle562018 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with sodium intake too. The more I eat sodium, the more I retain water. I have been trying to eat fresh fruits and vegetables and less on the process foods. It seem to help. Plus when my husband and I cook at home, we can control the sodium on the food. Eating out is really hard, the food seems to always have so much sodium. Good luck on your program.
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I totallly feel your pain. I was a vegetarian for 16+ yrs and my sodium intake was very low. Now that I am eating meat again I am struggling to keep it under 2500!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Just keep cutting back, and if you are trying to fight it with potassium, 2000 mg isn't enough. You need to get more potassium than sodium. Are you sure that's what it is? How many calories are you eating? Sometimes the last few pounds are the hardest. How frequently do you weigh? Maybe wait longer next time?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i do too for the most part but i try not to eat processed food as that is the main culprit of sodium. those lean cuisines are terrible! I try to make sure i am drinking my 8 glasses of h2o and drink my tea...
  • Roosta62
    Options
    I am burning 3500-4000 calories/day and consuming 1750-1900 calories/day. I weigh myself daily first thing in the morning and that is how I have been doing it for the entire 5 months.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Maybe its not got anything to do with sodium if your are burning that many calories maybe you need to eat a little more.You could try to increase your calorie intake to 2000 daily and see if that does anything. The last few pounds are always the hardest (so I have heard) About the only thing you can do is change things up like increase your calories change up your workouts, change your macros just make 1 change a week and see if the scale starts moving again. You have done so good, just keep plugging away!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    try lowering your carb macros and upping protein to replace it. and search out meats with low sodium too. I get plainville no salt added turkey and i add other spices to it that are salt free.
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    boiling celery and drinking it warm not hot helps with water retention. It flushes the water that you retain.