Eating at night is the hardest part of my day.....

Options
Does anyone have any good suggestions for how to overcome this issue. I really stuggle at night - I have been on track all day long, even logged in this morning my meal plan so I could stay on track. I ate perfectly today...until today turned into tonight....:sad: Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! :wink:

Replies

• shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am on day four of my new commitment not to eat anything after supper. I tell myself, I am not hungry and I do not need food. Tonight, I made me a sugar free hot cocoa, 60 calories.... But it's not food. I am trying to retrain my brain not to eat if I am not hungry. Would love to hear other people's suggestions.

Susan
  • donnat871
    donnat871 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find brushing my teeth and drinking a big glass of water usually curbs the urge to indulge after supper.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try doing a DVD workout for 20 minutes. It can be low impact. My wife and I both want to eat in the evening but find working out takes a bit if the edge off.

Good luck
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I schedule out some food--I know I'm going to want a treat as soon as I finish dinner, so I just make it part of my calories. Also we go to bed at 9:00 b/c we get up so early for the gym...I know it's super-lame, but it definitely cuts back on the nighttime eating!
  • rockingranny45
    rockingranny45 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drink water and try to go to sleep. No one should be up at 1:00 am especially eating. That is what i used to do eat whole meals in the middle of the night:)
  • Rita_1967
    Options
    I have the same problem. I eat well all day, 3 meals and 2 snacks, but in the evening I start rummaging through the fridge and cupboards looking for something. I am not sure why I do this, maybe boredom, but I have to distract myself and find something to do. I now have a very clean house, well watered plants and organized closets. If I have to eat, I try to eat fruit or something healthy. If all else fails, I get a glass of water and go to bed early.
  • suelar
    suelar Posts: 2
    Options
    I always want to eat as soon as the kids go to sleep. Now I schedule one of my snacks for bedtime. I usually have a protein drink, something to fill me up but low in calories/carbs. A cup of hot herbal tea helps curb the munchies too and even a stick of gum.

I get in bed early and work on my computer and just forget about the food.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That is my biggest struggle too. I tell myself - and i know it's true - that what i am feeling is NOT hunger. But I physically feel this empty need. I try to save some calories for a modest snack in the evening (today I was thrilled to eat my little apple at 8:30, though I recognize how pathetic that is). But lots of nights I just tough it out and go to bed early if i have to. Sometimes I I think about eating something ALL evening. Sigh. It gets easier a little over time. But I have to say, every time I manage to resist it, I feel mighty proud. Strengthening my resistance muscle, as one of those diet book authors says. But it is really really really hard.
  • pinkflybaby
    pinkflybaby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. And my other problem is that we eat way too late. 7 p.m. tonight. It seems like the afternoon just flies and it's 5 or 6 before I get it started. At least I'll be lest apt to eat any more tonight. Just started this today.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I leave about 300 calories after dinner for snacking. I know that I will just sit here and think about the food I could be eating if I tell myself not to eat after 8 pm or whatever the rule is supposed to be. So I eat less calories at lunch and save them for after dinner.

I also keep hot tea on hand. If I'm really craving something and I'm out of calories tea will make me feel like I'm having something.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i keep myself busy.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Save calories for nighttime, by eating slightly less during the day.

I just skip breakfast so I have more calories to spend later. Then at night, I eat them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I just skip breakfast so I have more calories to spend later. Then at night, I eat them.

^this.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Chocolate protein bar, cut in half, can usually get me over the hump. My real problem is that when I'm bored, I want to eat. If I can keep my mind active, usually I don't even think about late night munchies.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

^this.
    ^seconded.
    I almost always have at least 1000 of my calories after 6 pm. Works fine.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

^this.

double this! i have coffee in the morning and eat a snack around lunch and save the rest of my calories until later. I love it. AHMnomNOMnom!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Ditto. My absolute favourite time for eating is at night... ALL THE FOODS!
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Drink water, and eat healthy nuts.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Ditto also! If I don't eat after dinner I go to bed hungry, which means I don't sleep well and am anxious. then I wake up starving and eat too much at breakfast.

Sorry, I meant to say I don't skip breakfast, but I try to make sure it's a small breakfast!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

^^Yep! Easiest way for me!!