Runners: How fast can I run?

Options
I haven't been able to find any articles or books on this specifically, so I thought I'd throw it out there to fellow runners. I started running 20 years ago, but I've always been slow. I've run around 10 or so races over the last 5 years with the primary goal of finishing and building/maintaining good form, but now I'm finally paying attention to speed.

I started off at a 12min mile. Now I'm around a 9-10min mile. I'd love to run a sub-7min mile, but right now I'm shooting for running a half at an 8min mile pace. It seems unfathomable. Is that possible??? I'm trying to figure out what my goals should be, and I honestly have no idea what is realistic.

Replies

• srustin
    srustin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and have to work hard on my pace and stride to run just over 8 min miles. At 4'9", your strides per mile will be high! You are working harder than most of the folks you will be running against. Just push for your best and enjoy it! I am currently hurt from over training to run in a local fund raiser and have only been running for 2 years, so it is just my humble opinion!-)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Just run more. Throw in some speed-specific workouts. But mostly just run more miles. A half a 8-minute mile pace seems super fast to me, but each person is different. At 160 lbs and 5'7" I'm a pretty heavy runner but was pleased to finish my half this summer in 2:00:18 (Yes, I missed it by 18 seconds haha)... But I think with more time, more miles, more strength I can get faster... and so can you! :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The only way really to find out is to build up and max out your training for a few years and see what it gets you.

For running, to max out your training is probably no less than consistent 10 hours of running per week with speedwork for several years.  Depending on your fitness level right now, several could be up to six to ten years.

If you have been training less than that then you are nowhere near your potential and the goal may very well be realistic.

If you want to pursue that then you should read some training books.  Here are a few recommendations 
    Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf 
    Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels 
    Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon: How to be Your Own Best Coach by Matt Fitzgerald & Brad Hudson 

This one is not really a training book but more an encyclopedia on everything running. 
    Lore of Running by Dr. Timothy Noakes
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    the Lydiard link scottb81 posted is fantastic. It is a long article but well worth your time.

I started off at a 12min mile. Now I'm around a 9-10min mile. I'd love to run a sub-7min mile, but right now I'm shooting for running a half at an 8min mile pace. It seems unfathomable. Is that possible??? I'm trying to figure out what my goals should be, and I honestly have no idea what is realistic.
    Probably! Give it some time though and don't feel pressure. This is a sport where you slowly chip away at that pace over months and years.
    This link will give you a good estimate of what you could race for a half marathon in the near future (assuming you trained for that distance, not how fast you could run it tomorrow if you haven't been running to train for a race of that length).
    http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and have short-ish legs (30-31" pants inseam). Running can definitely be like an enemy!

I would say if you are at an 8-9 minute mile, you may definitely have a 4 minute half-mile in you.

I say this because the fastest mile I have ever run is 7:22, but I have recently run a 3:11 half mile and have done as good as 3:00 in the past. I would say right now if I were to try a good mile, my pace would most likely be in the 7:30-8 minute range.