5K Walk

I have signed up to do a 5K walk on December 8th. I currently walk about 1.5 miles a day, anyone have suggestions on how I can step it up. Maybe tips on how to get my distance up at a safe pace.

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    You can add some time to two or three of your walks each week -- maybe make two of them 1.75 miles for this week then 2 miles next week, etc., keeping your remaining days at 1.5 miles as your recovery days (since you are already used to that amount).
  • That is so awesome that you signed up for the walk. What a great goal! Ixap idea is excellent on increasing your distance. You also might want to take one day a week and make it an endurance day. If you watch the biggest loser they have them run very short distance at a fast pace. I actually started doing this with my walking. I would sprint 100 yards as fast as I could go. I usually cut the distance down that day because I am more focused on heart rate and stamina. Then after I sprint I walk for a while and every so often put in a sprint. My daughter challenged me and we just finished our first half marathon at a walk. I could not believe that I did it and I was not even winded at all. But I been on recovery now for 4 days, because I was sore the next day... haa haa But tomorrow I am back at walking and my normal routine.

I have learned to push myself as hard as I think I can and then go 10 seconds longer. You can do it! Yes you can! Keep us posted on how it is going. Go Go SwitzerS - you can do this, because you deserve it and you are awesome!!!! Yeah SwitzerS!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    You have plenty of time and your goal is extremely reasonable. Just start adding a quarter of a mile a week until your walk. You have roughly 6 weeks, so you should hit three miles right around the time you need to. Unlike running, walking doesn't put a huge strain on joints or connective tissue; so realistically you could probably just continue to walk your current distance and finish the 5K without any issues. If you're concerned though, got ahead and do the increments.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    5K is 3.12 miles so you need to double your distance. Just start adding a bit every time you walk or I would probably just got out and try to do the whole thing but that's me!
  • I'm with ixap and drgndancer on how to increase your distance. Keep it up, do what you can, and try to surprise yourself by doing a bit more than your daily goal, even it it's just a tenth of a mile over the distance!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    If you add just .25 miles to your walk each week, you'll be at a 5k distance in time for the walk. At a 3mph pace, that's just walking five minutes longer.
  • Thank you everyone for all your encouragement and advise, can't wait to start training.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Well keep us posted! Sounds like an exciting goal. Races are fun.