HRM Question????

Options
I was pressed for time this evening so I only got 20 mins. in at the gym tonight. I just got a Sportline S7 HRM, and I used it on the treadmill tonight to compare the results. The heart rate on both the machine & the HRM both read the same, but the calorie burn was VERY different. After 20 mins. the machine read 150 calories, and the HRM read 337 calories!:noway: I don't get it??? which result should I record????? I don't want to over estimate, but I certainly do not want to sell myself short.

PLEASE HELP!!!! :sad:

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If the HRM is one you enter your personal stats on, I would go with that one. If you are really concerned you can average them.
  • mctipton
    Options
    I would definitely stick with what your HRM said. A lot of the times the machines do not accurately calculate calories burned. For instance, last night I did 30 minutes on the Elliptical Trainer and my HRM said I burned 449 calories but the machine said I only burned 100!!! Huge difference! I worked my butt off and know I burned more than 100 calories so I entered my HRM info. Good luck!
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I worked my butt off and know I burned more than 100 calories so I entered my HRM info.

I definitely was sweating!!! :bigsmile:
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Most machines are set up to use an average person , My treadmill at home says the calories burned are based on a 185 lb. male.
    so if you are able to put your own age & weight into the HRM...I would go by that, it will be more accurate.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with your HRM!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I doubt that either one is correct. The TM number is 450 cal/hr and the HRM is over 1000 Cal/hr. At best you are somewhere in the middle.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. I cycled for 5o mins for 20 miles and it was only 420 calories. If you were on a treadmill for 20 mins and burned that..I would fly out to see this workout you do :). I would be weary of eating those calories
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I'd have to agree w/coronalime I WISH I could burn 337 calories in 20 minutes. Also I see you have a Sportsline S7 and I don't think those use a band that goes on you. I think it's the one where you put your finger on the sensor & it records your pulse. I had one of those and it was WAY OFF. I returned it for a Polar F4 and am very happy at how much more accurate the one w/a band is. Sorry, I know you probably don't want to hear that :ohwell:
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the helpful input. I figured those #s were too good to be true, so went with the 150 that the machine gave me. I suppose I rather under estimate than over estimate. I'm well below my calories so I'm ok no matter what...I'm glad I kept the receipt...this p.o.s. it going back! THANKS AGAIN!!! :happy:
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I walk/run for 20 minutes every morning on my treadmill I am 38 yrs. old & I weigh over 200lbs. and I burn 250 cals. give or take 25 depending on the intensity.

337 cals. could be possible depending on your weight and intensity.....when I put the treadmill at a higher incline I burn 300 cals.

your best bet would be to get a different HRM.
    I use the MIO Classic , you enter, birthdate, weight, resting HR and sex.

Best of Luck!!
    :happy:

Compare your numbers here:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is my exact problem with the sportline s7 hrm! I bought mine yesterday and I wore it all day while at work (i have a desk job) and a full 8 hrs later it said I burned over a thousand calories....I wasn't so sure about that. I fidget a lot in my chair and walk up and down the stairs a lot during the day (i work from home) but i know i didn't do enough to burn a thousand calories. If I burned a thousand calories every day then weight loss would not be an issue.

After work I did 20 minutes (1 mile) of a Walk Away The Pounds dvd and the hrm said I burned 292 calories...I hardly broke a sweat. After I did that video, I reset the hrm and did 30 minutes of my ea sports on my wii to compare what the wii figured vs what the hrm said. After 30 minutes, the wii said I burned 187 calories and the hrm said I burned 610 calories. I KNEW that couldn't be right. After seeing this post, I'm putting the thing back in the packaging and taking it back...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    That is my exact problem with the sportline s7 hrm! I bought mine yesterday and I wore it all day while at work (i have a desk job) and a full 8 hrs later it said I burned over a thousand calories....I wasn't so sure about that. I fidget a lot in my chair and walk up and down the stairs a lot during the day (i work from home) but i know i didn't do enough to burn a thousand calories. If I burned a thousand calories every day then weight loss would not be an issue.

After work I did 20 minutes (1 mile) of a Walk Away The Pounds dvd and the hrm said I burned 292 calories...I hardly broke a sweat. After I did that video, I reset the hrm and did 30 minutes of my ea sports on my wii to compare what the wii figured vs what the hrm said. After 30 minutes, the wii said I burned 187 calories and the hrm said I burned 610 calories. I KNEW that couldn't be right. After seeing this post, I'm putting the thing back in the packaging and taking it back...

I know that times are tough for a lot of people, so I don't say this lightly, but there is more to an HRM than just the display. HRMs are not as accurate at counting calories as most people think, but they do give a decent ballpark figure for many activities. And there is a definite difference in the software calculations that determine caloric expenditure between top-quality brands and no-name knockoffs. To me, going with an established brand such as Polar or Suunto is worth the extra $$.