Too many carbs - not enough fat or protein

Options
Today I haven't even hit my calorie mark but I have already gone over the carbs. I find it very difficult balancing the macronutrients - I always end up way over the carb amount, rarely get close to enough protein, and I am lucky if I get half of the fat. I know it may seem odd that someone who is 100 pounds overweight would not get enough fat but I don't. And it isn't like I am paranoid about fat - I use olive oil or canola oil when cooking (roughly a tablespoon 4 servings) and I put real butter on my bread. The problem is I am apparently not putting enough but I have never really liked really fatty foods except fried food and indulgent desserts. However, I don't make fried food at home and I usually don't have desserts at home either.

I know I should be happy that today I did not go over my calories yet but I really want to eat a balanced diet more than meeting my calorie goals. Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing my protein and fat without increasing my carbs? I have been trying to add protein powder to milk once a day but I still fall short. I guess I am the true picture of a "carbaholic" :wink:

Replies

• katieann_52
    Options
    I always try to eat a little protein with every meal. Especially with anything with sugar. Like fruit. You can find protein in just about anything. Try low fat cheese, hard boiled eggs, nuts (almonds), and my favorite the packaged starkist tuna/salmon.
    Not a wealth of information, but I thought maybe it would help you out! Best of Luck!
  • missykaye1975
    Options
    My favorite protein sources:
    whey protein
    low fat cottage cheese - LOVE it!!! (search for the the thread that has all the things you can do with this if you have trouble eating it.)
    light string cheese
    plain non-fat yogurt (in my protein shakes)
    whole eggs and egg whites
    lean chicken, turkey, beef, etc.
    fish, shrimp, scallops, etc.
    beans

My favorite "good" fats:
    nuts - especially almonds
    avacados
    milled flax seed
    natural peanut butter
    Udo's oil (a balanced combo of omega 3-6-9's-- flax and sunflower oil - can purchase off the Internet. I've been taking for 2 years and it's done wonders for my hair, skin, and nails. Healthy fats also help you BURN fat! ;0)

From a recovering "carbo-holic" to another...good luck, and keep with it--it will pay off!! :tongue:
  • MississippiRob
    Options
    Protein helps you feel full and it helps replace muscle (which suffers from weight loss efforts). Fat is necisary for your body as well, however, I would not stress about not getting "enough" fat. The fat levels listed here are more a guide of what you should not exceed. Going under those levels will not hurt. Carbs are not a boogey man either (if they are good carbs). A lack of carbs will make you feel lethargic and notice a definate drop in your energy levels. However, you do want to try and keep your carbs close to the levels given in your diet goals. Too many carbs will provide your body with more energy than it uses, and that will be converted to fat.
  • missykaye1975
    Options
    Protein helps you feel full and it helps replace muscle (which suffers from weight loss efforts). Fat is necisary for your body as well, however, I would not stress about not getting "enough" fat. The fat levels listed here are more a guide of what you should not exceed. Going under those levels will not hurt. Carbs are not a boogey man either (if they are good carbs). A lack of carbs will make you feel lethargic and notice a definate drop in your energy levels. However, you do want to try and keep your carbs close to the levels given in your diet goals. Too many carbs will provide your body with more energy than it uses, and that will be converted to fat.

I absolutely agree with this. However, the TYPES of fats you take in are the key here. You DO need to get enough of the "good" kinds of fats to assist with fat burning (the right kinds of fat in the mouth does NOT equal fat on the thighs), not to mention all of the other roles fat plays--absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, structural compononents of hormones, cell membranes, etc.

I also most definitely agree that carbs are CRUCIAL to a balanced diet--you cannot build muscle (i.e., your metabolism) without them! Again, the TYPES of carbs that you are taking in are what is important....all carbs are not created equal! For example, non-refined, slow energy-releasing carbs like rolled oats, barley, brown rice, etc., are far superior to your health and well-being than, say, white bread, pasta, white sugar, etc., which provide virtually no nutrients--strictly a very quick energy source.

....and on the last point stated above--absolutely true! Carbs are your body's preferred source of fuel...as long as your body has carbs to burn, it is perfectly happy and will NEVER turn to burning fat for fuel--why would it? :tongue:
  • tanyashealth
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips. I agree that a diet needs to have carbohydrates, protein, and good fats. I wasn't surprised that I wasn't getting enough protein but I was shocked to find out I wasn't getting enough fats. Although my diet leaves a LOT to be desired. If I look at overall diet and go look beyond the macronutrients to the various food groups, I am horribly short on fruits and vegetables which is interesting because I love them. Part of that I think comes from preparation - I'd rather grab something that can be eaten directly out of the package such as whole wheat bread than to grab an apple that needs to be washed or a pepper that needs to be washed and cut. I just need to set aside time to prep all my veg for the week so I can just grab it and go.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary and it's the mountain dew that's killing you. I feel you on that one b/c I had to cut it out of my diet until I could be satisfied with one serving. Also the fruity pebbles are high in sugar. You may want to try to ween yourself off the mountain dew. Everytime you have something high in sugar have protein with it- chicken breast, someone mentioned packaged tuna. Beware of lowfat and fatfree products like yogurt and cheese they are usually high in sugar and sodium. For easy veggie try the steamables in the frozen food section. Also try fruit with a people and frozen fruits which don't have to be washed.