Planking...what's the big deal??

Options
2»

Replies

• jennahowden
    jennahowden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been informed by my physiotherapist that the plank/hover is no longer on the safe list. She has had quite a few people coming in with excruciating lower back pain and it has been a direct result of the plank. The problem is, you do it until failure. You are holding a certain position for as long as you can, but as you start to fatigue, you begin to drop your pelvis. You don't even realise you're doing this, and by holding this as hard as you can is therefore doing damage. There's many exercises that give much better results, and are so great for your core.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    We do planks in my TRX class all the time. I thought they were hard before TRX... now they are just insane. I dread plank to pike combos. It hurts to laugh the next day my core is so sore. lol
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff on variations & why planks are great (and they are!). Saw at least one mention of lower back issues/considerations, and those are also valid concerns.

It sounds as if you have a really solid core already, so I'm just going to add my two cents as someone who's been there and sure isn't currently!

Back in the day, planks were easy. Sure, when I trained for tris, it was important to balance the extra cycling with extra core work, but no problem.

Time went by. Years. Things happened, and with ~80 lbs to lose, everything was out of whack. Couldn't jog my usual "beginner" flat slow 3 miles. I get in my own way doing stretches. My core was practically non-existent (sort of like my biceps), and all the extra weight made my lower back ready to seize up at the slightest provocation. Most exercises were considered provocation :-/

So I had to start by walking, for the first time EVER. And make a point of stretching and balancing muscle groups. And doing pushups/planks from a ball at first (under my hips), then gradually getting to the point of "girl" push-up position. Tonight, I was able to do a few moves that included a couple of seconds in full plank position. Shaky, but progress! It's still incredibly difficult, like a limb when a cast has just been removed.

I suspect that if I could get to this ridiculous, embarrassing state after being a year-round & then college swimmer, and then triathlete...I'm not alone! So yeah, when I can do a buncha minutes in plank position, you might see that kind of post from me, too! Of course, there will also be one when I get back to an 8-something or faster mile :-)

If you are ever foolish enough to let your core deteriorate, I think you'll be impressed by planks as a benchmark for the condition of your core. And all the variations? Make it possible to do a gradual ramp up to the ahem, Full Monty, as it were. Or beyond, for someone like you! For now, just enjoy the ability to do them with wild abandon!

Anyway, that's just my guess re: fuss/popularity.