confused about calories

Options
I'm not sure I understand what "net" calories are - or if I am consuming too many calories per day. If, with excercise, my "daily goal" is usually around 1600 calories, but I want to lose weight, should I be eating 1600? Or should I be eating less? Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• stephanielamb79
    Options
    What is your goal if you do not exercise? I was on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and earned an additional 600 calories the days that I worked out. Most of those days I pushed 1800 simply because the heavy workouts will leave you hungry. I recommend taking advantage of the 1600, or lightening the calories by switching out foods for other foods, and consuming near the same amount. I have switched to wheats (including a GREAT 35 calorie bread), turkey meat (instead of ground beef, etc) and I've discovered I can still eat things I love live pasta and burgers without feeling nearly as guilty. Good luck.
  • MississippiRob
    Options
    If you are using the recommended calories that you got from this site, then that is the proper amount of calories to help you reach the weight loss goal you set in the time frame you set. Now, that does not mean you have to consume all of the calories. But if you consume that many per day, you will be on track to achieve your goal.

Not sure what you mean by net calories. I think you may be refering to the fact that when you log your excercise here, it adds calories back to the total you are allowed (the added calories are the same as the amount you burned in exercise). I personally would not consider those calories to be usable, as I feel exercise should supplement your weight loss efforts, not give you extra calories to consume (that is my theory though, if you use the calories you burn to be able to eat more, you should still acheive your goal).
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I personally would not consider those calories to be usable, as I feel exercise should supplement your weight loss efforts, not give you extra calories to consume (that is my theory though, if you use the calories you burn to be able to eat more, you should still acheive your goal).

Whether or not you should eat your workout calories depends on how hard your workouts are. If you are burning too many calories in your workout and not eating enough, you still risk going into starvation mode because you are burning so many more calories than you're feeding your body. If you are only lightly working out, it should be fine not to eat those calories, but if you work out hard, your body needs more fuel and therefore you should eat at least some of what you've burned off.

'Net calories' basically refers to how many calories you have left for the day: Daily Target (not less than 1200) + calories burned -food eaten). Your goal is to be under your calories for the day (have some left).