Waking Up STARVING?

arlacher
arlacher Posts: 7
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
The last few weeks there have been several nights when I wake up just starving! It usally happens around 5 or 6 a.m. so I get up have a bowl of cereal and then lay back down before getting up and working out at seven. I usually have a small snack before I go to bed and eat my recommended amount of calories or close to each day. Does anyone know why this would be happening? It has never happened before. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• What is your activity level during the day? How much are you exercising? How many calories are you eating?
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    The other day I was reading about metabolism and how often you should eat in order to keep your body well-fueled. They recommended eating your last food of the day no earlier than 8-10 hours before you are planning to eat breakfast - that way, you're body doesn't have time to think that it's starving. Maybe you could increase the amount of food you eat before bed, and make sure what you're eating has lots of fiber and protein so it will last through the night. Your metabolism is probably just more revved up than it has been in the past. Good luck!
  • bzelt
    bzelt Posts: 2
    I have this problem fairly often, even before I started trying to lose weight. I don't know why it happens, but you might want to try having a cup of milk (low-fat or skim) before bed. I haven't woken up hungry since I started doing that, and I sleep better too. Sometimes I add chocolate milk mix or heat it up and have hot chocolate. :happy:
  • Aartichokie
    Aartichokie Posts: 60 Member
    I like to have a low carb (or at least very low sugar) protein shake before bed. This stabilizes my blood sugar and provides a satisfying snack. My favs are BSN Dessert Vanilla Whipped Cream powder mix (150 cals) and Oh yeah Vanilla RTD 12oz. (220 cal).
  • My calorie intake is about 1800 calories per day, I exercise for an hour in the morning, and it usually consists of 30-40 minutes of hard physical running or on the elliptical machine, and then I do my ab, arms, legs, ect workout and finally I stretch and cool down. Thanks for all the great adivce tonight I will try the milk and a small snack and hope it works!:smile:
  • My calorie intake is about 1800 calories per day, I exercise for an hour in the morning, and it usually consists of 30-40 minutes of hard physical running or on the elliptical machine, and then I do my ab, arms, legs, ect workout and finally I stretch and cool down. Thanks for all the great adivce tonight I will try the milk and a small snack and hope it works!:smile:

Good for you for eating well!! At least 1800 sounds like a good, healthy number, considering I don't know your weight or height. So many women on here eat 1200 cals, along with exercising, and wonder why in the world they are so hungry all the time! I too get a ravenous feeling every couple of weeks, and sometimes I just need to increase my cals for the day or two days by several hundred--have something I've been craving (peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...ahhhh!!!) and then get right back on track the next day. A lot of times this will do the trick for me. It also re-sets and revs your metabolism if you've been eating under maintenance cals for a while to lose weight. Also, if you're intense with your strength training and been building muscle for a while, thus increasing your bmr, maybe you need to add 100 or 200 more calories on a daily basis to keep your energy levels up and help you feel more satiated at night..?? I'm not an expert (YET! :tongue: ), so just "food" for thought....ha ha!

Hope this helps a little....you're not alone, sister! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.