Eating plan guide for 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest giving yourself a little more food. I started at 1200 without eating back exercise calories, then upped to 1300-1350 with exercise calories and am losing as fast. And I used to be a firm believer in 1200 calories, so I'm kind of a convert by seeing my own results.

But here's what I'd do for 1200 calories, and if you up it you can just add a little more food in elsewhere.

Breakfast: 70 calories (rice cakes, not super hungry in the morning)
    Second Breakfast: Banana (120 calories)
    Lunch: 300 calories
    Afternoon Snack: Cashews (160 calories)
    Dinner: 300-500 calories
    After dinner: Eat whatever's left!
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is how I do it:
    Brekky - 300cal
    Snack - 100 - 150 cal
    Lunch - 300 cal
    Snack - 100 - 150 cal
    Dinner - 400 cal

Roughly. On days I exercise with some sort of intensity I eat more as I am hungry but I never eat back all of my exercise calories, only some. Good luck, and remember if your body stops responding, up your calorie intake :)
    You should have to worry about having your body "stop" responding. The problem is people immediately go bare bones and cut every thing out. You have to look at weight loss as peeling an onion. You have to strip each layer from the onion when you reach a sticking point.

At 1200 calories you have NO room to make any adjustments and you're on way to metabolic rehab. This is not a scare tactic, this is real life. Even if the original poster is severely obese 1200 calories is still not advisable.

The whole point is to make your meals filling. Meal frequency is not an issue, so you don't need to eat 6,7, and 8 meals a day. IMHO, snacks make you fat, and are an indication that your meals are not filling.

1200/3 = 400 calorie meals or 1200/4= 300 calorie meals. Both are a much better choice then having a 100-150 calorie "snack" which will leave you hungry.

That's exactly what you said "your opinion" Everyone is different, you're not right, and the person you quoted is not right. You are just right for your own body. I eat 1200 calories of clean foods everyday, and yes that includes 2 snacks and I am very satisfied. However' I'm not going to tell everyone thats what you're SUPPOSED to do, and the only way to be successful. Everyone's body is different, and everyone's journey is different. You do what works for you, others will do what works for them. When someone asks for an opinion on here, you can give them your opinion but you cant really say "you HAVE to do this, or you CANT do that"... thats just silly.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs, mainly sticking to 1200 calories & more if I work out. I just eat if I'm ACTUALLY hungry then. A typical 1200 day for me is:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup whole grain, old fashioned oats cooked with water, 1/2 cup crushed fruit, 1 T almonds, a bit of cinnamon, 2 cups of coffee with splenda and sugar free coffee creamer (15 cals per T)

Lunch: 2 slices of Healthy Life whole wheat bread (35 cals each), lean turkey or chicken, low sodium, spicy mustard, romaine lettuce, tomato. I also add about 1 1/2 cups of cut up veggies, such as carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers. Very filling! Or a 4 cup romaine salad with added grilled chicken, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, nuts of some sort, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple and reduced calorie salad dressing. My fav. is Maple Grove Farms sugar free raspberry vinagrette. If I'm in the mood for something more savory, without fruit, Maple Grove has a honey mustard dressing. Both are 15-30 cals per T.

Dinner: I usually have 4-6 ounces of lean grilled meat such as fish or chicken. You can fix either a million dif. ways with herbs and spices! I also grill a ton of veggies like red, yellow and orange bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, squash or whatever I have from the garden at the time. Baked potaoes and sweet potatoes are another good option

After dinner snack if needed: Fruit, Dannon light and fit yogurt (60 cals? I think), cheese, nuts, frozen yogurt bars, frozen fruit bars, 100 calorie bags of popcorn, or like last night I was hungrier and ended up eating a peach, a pear and a peanut butter cup AND yogurt However, I ran 3 miles plus did an hour of water aerobics. It just depends on how my day went, how hungry I am and what I"m in the mood for!
  • tammyp1
    tammyp1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. I eat 1200 calories a day and having an easy time with it.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to eat more. Good luck trying to make any progress on such a low calorie intake.

This guy right here has it exactly right.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Add me...and check my diary close to 1200 every day. I eat no processed foods...healthy only. Fruits, veggies, extra lean meats, & some dairy.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1200, you will need a lot of fiber to feel full. Green veggies are great fiber sources, some fruits, and oatmeal. Stay clear of fatty meats b/c it will drive the calories up to high. Stick with chicken and turkey. Limit cheese b/c it is high in fat- stay away from sauces like bbq, mayo, ketchup. Instead use mustard, lemon, pickles, and spices to flavor food. Go for about 125 grams of carbs, 100 grams of protein, and 25 grams of fat daily and split it all between 5-6 balanced meals- it'll help you stay full longer. I did 1200 for a long time and lost 50 lbs and it worked.. but my suggestion would be to seriously just up your activity level so you can eat more. I stick with about 1500 now, and still lose. 1200 requires that everything you eat be full of nutrition, otherwise you are going to be hungry. It also doesn't leave any room for an occasional treat and for me, i felt a sense of failure when I exceeded my calories. so it was kind of discouraging even to be just a 100 over. It's doable, but it's not easy.

Good luck.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Unless medically instructed to, or nearly comatose with being sedentary I see no reason to try and exist on 1200 calories a day (especially if youre not going to be eating back exercise calories as one poster here mentioned.) I have never understood that mentality. Eat more = move more, why not just set a reasonable calorie limit and then go for walks to make a wider calorie margin for yourself?

Good luck with whatever you do, I can't help you on instructions on how to survive on barely eating, hope you figure it out in a healthy way. :flowerforyou:
  • pspam
    pspam Posts: 9
    Options
    When your brain believes it is catastrophically underfed, your body will further reduce the amount of calories it burns to maintain itself. At a caloric intake below 1,200 kcal, your body is approaching this "hard deck" as it was referred to above. This is around the point where your body believes itself to be starving with no credible future supply of calories. It is not exactly 1,200, this is a general area where you flirt with catabolism.

However, when you have failed to meet the minimum caloric intake for around 48 hours, your brain signals your body to conserve all of its fat stores. These fatty acids hold 9 kcal of energy per gram for every 4 kcal of energy that proteins hold. In essence, you body will catabolise as much protein as possible until you lack enough muscle to sustain survival functions. Once you have catabolised the majority of you own muscle for energy, your body will begin to tap back into its fat stores. Consider also that as you lose muscle mass (nonselectively), your body composition worsens, and you can potentially do permanent damage to muscles such as your heart.

So, when MFP estimates you burn 1,600 kcal sitting behind a desk all day, that is assuming you aren't starving. If you were starving, you would potentially barely burn over the rate as if you were in a coma.

For the math of an average day behind a desk: 1,300 kcal in - 1,600 kcal out= 3 kcal lost
    For the math of a starving day behind the desk: 1,000 kcal in - 850 kcal out= 150 kcal gained

Also consider that your body does not metabolise a single gram of fat under average demand signals until your glycogen stores have been depleted and the fatty acids are converted to ketones and aldehydes.

Is is possible to go under 1,200 safely? YES, most likely. There is a lot that goes into figuring this out and it changes as your body composition and health changes.

Is 1,200 your personal "hard deck"? probably not, but generally speaking you are safe to aim for 1250. This is why MFP cautions strongly against not meeting 1,200 intake.

What about my Net intake, can it go under 1,200 kcal? Yes, as long as you are eating enough for your brain to be reasonably satisfied it is not starving (aim around 1,250 minimum), or anytime will soon be starving, you can exercise to bring your net caloric intake under 1,200 with good assurance that it is safe. After you burn through your glycogen, you will burn almost exclusively fat if operating under low demand (after 30 minutes of walking at 2 mph, you are probably burning fat exclusively).
    Example: 1,250 in - 350 exercise = 900 kcal net and safe at that.

Will one day below your hard deck hurt you? probably not. Your body tends to respond to starvation after 2 days, but why flirt with dangerous scenarios. However, there will be times you just aren't hungry. Balance risk versus reward, understanding the risk generally outweighs the reward heavily.

Can anyone HERE tell you how to go below 1,200 safely? NO, No, and NO. They may have done it, and they may have been under doctor supervision, and they may have hurt themselves and won't know it for 15 years.

Why? This type of diet requires doctor supervision as you are potentially flirting with permanent damage and most frequently this is something that is closely monitored and recommended for someone facing higher risk categories in other areas; i.e stroke, heart disease, myocardial infarctions, etc...

MFP doesn't set anyone up for 1,200 kcal. Misinterpreting this is a recipe for serious injury years down the road.

Long post short, and I don't post frequently, aim to do it safely and add in a nice walk around the neighborhood or on a treadmill. And don't forget, when you start a diet by eating better, you typically drop your sodium intake back to safe levels (1,600 mg) and this will lead up to 2-3% drop in weight just by your body shedding water to maintain electrolyte balances to ensure electrical signals get all the way from your brain to your toes without dehydrating your cells. Don't be frustrated after you plateau two weeks into it. That's when it really starts.
  • jenwilcher
    Options
    Do you know what your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate is? This is the amount of calories you NEED to consume just to STAY ALIVE. I would go for a minimum of your BMR or maybe a little over for calories and that's if you believe that calories in/calories out is actually how metabolism works. I don't. I'm on here more for tracking Macronutrient %. Anyways my BMR at 29 years old, 5'1", and 130 lbs is around 1,300 calories.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to eat more. Good luck trying to make any progress on such a low calorie intake.

This guy right here has it exactly right.

I eat about 2400 and i've lost a few lbs myself
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You can make progress eating 1200 calories, I have been eating 1200 calories since February and I am making great progress.

You can check out my diary for ideas on how to split it up, I also have recipes in my blog on here and that isn't private either so you can see those, they are low calorie. I don't log on weekends, but I still eat 1200 calories, I'm trying to get used to not being solely depending on the site.

You can do this, I wish you the best of luck with your goals on here!
  • bsimonton
    Options
    Katrina, There is good advice in all the replies -- but in a nut shell, you need to know where you are at, to know whether 1200 is ok. If you are excessively heavy, and have been eating 2500 calories a day (and not know it ...) then 1200 will be virtually impossible to maintain. If you are trying to lose a small amount of weight and are used to eating 1500 calories -- 1200 might be managable but you still need to analyze what you "have" been eating -- often its not the calories, but where they come from.

Trying to eat all fruits and vegetables is great, for someone who has done it all their life or do not have other people they have contend with (moms feeding families, we know some are great but most of us have to fight to get them to eat balanced)

I would advise tracking what you eat currently, without changes and be absolutely honest about what passes your lips (its an eye opening examination) Coffee with sugar/creamer; beverages with sugar, even diet soda no matter how empty it says it is EVERYTHING. Take a week, two if you feel you had a bad week, analyze it -- know your carbs, know your protein, know how much processed foods you eat vs non processed (and just because you cook it does not mean its processed, processed is everything that is prepared/canned/cooked outside your own kitchen) Everything processed has preservatives, you might find that instead of buying prepared entrees, you will do better to make your own.... you just have to know what your are looking for.

Then and only after you have a good idea of what is actually being taken in -- try measuring your food, not guessing (you'd be surprised at what you think is a cup of something only to find out when you actually measure out a cup, you were eating a whole lot more) Measure EVERYTHING for a week (dont look at the calorie numbers just yet....) then see if you have a weight change on the scale -- you may find that what you thought was 2500 based on guess was more like 3500 or more.

After you have weighed your food, and you find that what you were eating is what you thought it was -- then you can chose (as fitsocial says peel the onion) what you should start to cut out. Making adjustments slowly will allow you to "change your habits and lifestyle" which in turn will help you with your weight goal.

You can't go from 2500 calories of carbs and fat from fast food/processed/pasta/bread -- to 1200 of vegetables/fruit without being hungry. That is not the physical talking its the mental. Our brain gets addicted to our foods and convinces out bodies we need certain items (I will be the first to tell you tracking your food helps, when you stop, you forget you dont estimate as well as you thought and trying to work out daily and live on 1200 calories or less is difficult, but not impossible)

As far as eating below your BMR -- seriously? The point of the BMR is to know what your body needs to function at your ideal weight (yes it will change as you lose weight) Finding your BMR is a guideline -- if you follow the above, in the stages listed, then if your BMR is 1500 and you chose to work with a 1200 calorie diet, then you a built in deficit -- ideal if you are not excercising -- if you excercise, you should allow yourself the option to eat back those calories because you WILL be hungry and rightly so.

It is all about balance --you cant go from being on the couch eating 3000 calories a day - to 1200 calories and 1 hour in the gym overnight and expect your body to respond. With that, if you have been eating, tracking, weighing diligently for a while and 1200 is where you decided you need to be -- then 1200 is very doable -- and I will agree with either the 3 or 4 meals a day -- eating more often only says you are not getting full so you get hungry thus you need to snack -- and telling yourself that snacking is ok --- if you have always eaten often -- then 6 meals may be just what you need -- some tend to overeat when they try to break the day into 6 meals --- some do well with larger breakfast, some do better with larger dinner -- balance this with when you excercise -- the whole point of breakfast is that "break" "fast" --- so those that skip breakfast or go extra light only allow the body to continue in "storage" mode..... breakfast is not the meal you eat at 5-6AM -- its the first meal you eat after a sustained period of not eating -- sometimes thats 10AM -- it is what it is -- and many times the last meal is at midnight (some of us are just late nighters) Eating late is also not a "no-no" -- it depends on the person.

Bottom line -- don't do exactly as someone else just because they are doing 1200 calories --- do what makes sense for you to change your lifestyle --- we dont gain overnight -- we dont lose overnight -- it took 20 plus years (most often) to create the habit/person we are -- we arent going to change it in 2 months -- despite our best efforts. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE STARTING, before you know where you are going.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I think MFP sets most women up at 1200 calories! :tongue: That's what I started with as well, and lost a few pounds, but eventually stalled on weight loss, was hungry, anxious about going over my limit, and didn't have enough energy for my workouts.

Earlier in this topic someone mentioned knowing your BMR and TDEE, two of the greatest terms I've learned here, and how to use them. I did so through this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info there and links to tools to find your BMR and TDEE, and what to manually set your calorie and macro goals to here at MFP. I am now set at 1800 calories a day, and while my scale doesn't change much as I'm very near my goal weight, I am more focused on my measurements and how my clothes fit - and the fat is steadily coming off, and I keep having to buy new clothes! Since switching to the higher calorie intake I've dropped another two pants sizes - expensive, but a good feeling! LOL :bigsmile: Thrift stores are becoming my best friend as I transition through sizes!

If 1200 works for you, you're not hungry, tired, or stalling in weight loss, go for it. But check out that thread, lots of good info - and why eat the bare minimum when you can eat more, feel better and stronger, and still lose the fat? My whole fitness journey has been a learning process, and I'm just hoping to share what I've learned with others along the way.

Edited to add: My diary is open, feel free to have a look. I log everything, and some days I go over (some days WAY over!), but I'm still losing.

This is all great info ^^

I too started summer of 2011 at 1200 calories and was doing Insanity workouts 6 days a week. I found that I would not be hungry after a while, etc, etc, and loss 14 lbs over the course of about 6 weeks, which was great, right? Then I got sick for literally a month. I had bronchitis, then recover for a couple of days, then upper respiratory infections, sinuses, etc etc and couldn't work out, obviously. I also couldn't continue to only eat that amount either, so I gave up only eating 1200 for several months and gained it all back quickly. Looking back, I know that I was pushing myself too hard to just be skinny and lose the weight as quickly as possible and my body finally told me no more! And I found that I could not live the rest of my life eating only 1200 calores a day (yes, I had cheat days too!), so now I eat much more manageable calores because I am aware of what my TDEE is and what is a healthy range for me. I am losing slowly, but it is more bodyfat loss, less lean muscle loss, and I continue to be healthy. I actually do leangains and lift heavy weights and am loving both, but you may have other interests. The key is to be aware of your numbers and work your program so it is sustainable and is something you enjoy. The link above can help you figure out your numbers.

Good luck!!
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    While many have stated it isn't advisable to be on a 1200 calorie diet, I must say...it worked fine by me when my doctor put me on it...4 months and I lost 58 pounds. Yes there is more to life than just calories and the longer I was taking in only 1200 calories, I learned more about exericse, protien and carbs and made sure I was hitting my targets as set up by my dietician.

I have gone from BMI of 52.9 to 37.9, I still have a long road, but with the help of my doctor, NP and dietician, I will continue to get my body where it needs to be.
  • carlavandenbrink
    Options
    I have been doing this for almost 6 months and have lost 50 pounds and feel great. I eat very little meat, eat lots of tofu (great recipes on the web), spinach and beans. I try to eat as much vegan as possible. I cut out all milk and ice cream. I treat myself to yogurt and a small piece of cheese very seldomly. I use Soy milk or almond milk. Drink lots of water and no liquids 30 minutes before a meal and 30 minutes aftter a meal or during. LIquid acts as a water slide and swoops all your food down so fast that your natural enzymes can not digest and put the nutrients where they need to go. You also will not feel full until its too late. Chew very slowly. Put your fork down after every bite! Yoga and walking. Never go without 4 hours inbetween meals. Eat 10 almonds if you cant eat anything else. I was 307 pounds and ate over 2500 caloires a day with no exercise. I never thought I would be able to do this as I have always been a carnivore, but I started seeing a Naturopath doctor and I am trying to follow her advice. I am not doing exact and I am over in calories some days, but I do not beat myself up. google california creamed Kale - great recipe with great energy and fullness! My kids even love it!

Good Luck!:bigsmile:
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Plan on being hungry. :indifferent: I tried it, and it's just not enough calories. I lost 1.3 pounds in 3 weeks eating 1200 calories (mostly "good" food). I actually often ended up below the 1200 because I was so worried about going over, so I definitely was not eating enough. My doctor said that 1200 was ridculously low, especially for someone who is exercising regularly. It also gets confusing trying to "eat back" exercise calories. He told me to try more like 1500-1800 a day minimum, and more on hard work-out days. Of course, that's not knowing your stats (I'm 5'7" and started out at about 173), and everyone is different. I honestly think you'll do better if you eat a little more. However, if you're trying to split them up, it will really depend on your eating habits and when you're the most hungry. You could always split them into 6-200 cal. "mini" meals, or divide them almost equally among the three main meals and eat any surplus for snacks......it really depends on what your own needs are.

I also followed the advice I found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It seems to be much more realistic, more flexible, and much more manageable for me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    *highfives* to JennKie1 for also following & posting the Road Map thread! :bigsmile: It really has made things easier for me, and as I plan on staying healthy and keeping the weight off for life, it's also practical and doable, whereas for most people, certainly me, 1200 a day is not.
  • Jwithrow4
    Options
    bump
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hey Kat, i am in the 1500cal a day range...feel free to take a look at my diary and adjust yours from there. As a general rule for myself, i try to do 300, 500, 700...with snacks during the day. And as snacks...apples, cheese sticks, sugar free pudding cups. Just have a look and good luck and healthy eating.