What to do with Lambs liver?

Options
2»

Replies

• wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks all- some really useful advice!
    Looks like I'm going to be soaking it in milk, taking out any yucky bits, then covering in flour and frying with bacon and/or chorizo! Yum!

I've never really liked Liver before (as I think I've only had badly cooked liver!!)- but then I like (good) haggis, black pudding...... etc.

I would never eat something just because someone said it was good for me, but it's a cheap cut, it's good for me and suppoedly great when cooked properly! Yum!
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Seriously people...she was asking for recipes, if you don't like the stuff what the hell is the point in replying with "give it to the dog" or "garbage disposal" etc, etc. Just don't bother replying at all!! :grumble:

Yep. Takes me back to my "Fresh Sardine recipe ideas please?" post, about this time last year!

:yawn:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That sounds like something that I would give to the cat. That's what I do with chicken livers anyway. :bigsmile:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    That sounds like something that I would give to the cat. That's what I do with chicken livers anyway. :bigsmile:

Do you ever contribute in a postitive way to any thread with like ACTUAL suggestions?
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of liver, but my ex was. I used to fry it (obviously not much olive oil if you're on here) with onions, garlic and cherry tomatoes and apple slices, boil up some small new potatoes and add those in and brown them. Then add thyme and black pepper. Apparently it was very nice, there might also have been a dash of red wine, but it was years ago and I can't really remember. Serve it up with some steamed broccoli.

The liver was seasoned with paprika and pepper before frying, and there was also bacon in it.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of liver, but my ex was. I used to fry it (obviously not much olive oil if you're on here) with onions, garlic and cherry tomatoes and apple slices, boil up some small new potatoes and add those in and brown them. Then add thyme and black pepper. Apparently it was very nice, there might also have been a dash of red wine, but it was years ago and I can't really remember. Serve it up with some steamed broccoli.

The liver was seasoned with paprika and pepper before frying, and there was also bacon in it.

Apple sounds like a great addition.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Seriously people...she was asking for recipes, if you don't like the stuff what the hell is the point in replying with "give it to the dog" or "garbage disposal" etc, etc. Just don't bother replying at all!! :grumble:

Or maybe we'll start feeding people to the cat when they complain! :wink:
    :laugh:
  • wifealiciousness
    Options

Yep. Takes me back to my "Fresh Sardine recipe ideas please?" post, about this time last year!

:yawn:

I'm just ignoring them! I'd imagine they're bored!

Actually I hate fussy eaters and hate people who judge things before trying them ("oh that "looks" disgusting".... for example. WTF does "disgusting" look like? We eat chocolate and that looks a bit like *kitten*. That surely "looks disgusting"........ )
  • wifealiciousness
    Options

That sounds yummy! I have a feeling I might (accidently) amalgam all those recipes together and have the weirdest meal ever!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My former flatmate used to serve it in recipe she got from her German Jewish mother. Lightly fried in butter with a grated carrot salad to which a tiny bit of icing sugar had been added and then served with toast.

Surprisingly good actually.
  • Stephanie_dee
    Options
    My hubby dry fries it. He cuts it up into quite thin slices and just fries it on both sides and eats it like that. :-) I'm not a fan of liver though, can't get my head around the texture!

There's tons of recipes online for using it in family meals too... I did look into it before I tried it!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Mix plain flour with a generous amount of pepper and a little smoked paprika, dip the liver into it,shake off the excess and shallow fry in a small amount of olive oil, lift out as soon as the flour has browned and set to one side (bowl advised as it'll be oozing). To the pan add some finely chopped bacon to crisp, then add onions and some button mushrooms. Once these have started to soften stir in another spoonful of the flour, add a dollop of tomato puree, and some good wholegrain mustard - this will form a roux - keep stirring for a few minutes more to cook the flour through and then slowly add water to thicken to the desired consistency. Once your gravy is ready return the liver to the pan and cook to your taste (I love a bloody steak but couldn't eat liver like that). Serve with mashed potato and steamed green vegetables such as broccoli or beans. Ooh go on, have a glass of Chianti with it too... :wink:
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Mix plain flour with a generous amount of pepper and a little smoked paprika, dip the liver into it,shake off the excess and shallow fry in a small amount of olive oil, lift out as soon as the flour has browned and set to one side (bowl advised as it'll be oozing). To the pan add some finely chopped bacon to crisp, then add onions and some button mushrooms. Once these have started to soften stir in another spoonful of the flour, add a dollop of tomato puree, and some good wholegrain mustard - this will form a roux - keep stirring for a few minutes more to cook the flour through and then slowly add water to thicken to the desired consistency. Once your gravy is ready return the liver to the pan and cook to your taste (I love a bloody steak but couldn't eat liver like that). Serve with mashed potato and steamed green vegetables such as broccoli or beans. Ooh go on, have a glass of Chianti with it too... :wink:

This sounds amazing!!
  • elperrogigante
    Options
    get a sheep's stomach, heart, and lung and use it all to make a haggis. :bigsmile:
  • wifealiciousness
    Options

Sounds great! The Liver is currently soaking in milk and I'm looking forwards to dinner tonight. That is providing that no-one throws themself under any of my trains today and I can get home in time to cook it!
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite dinners is lambs liver with bacon and onions...nice rich gravy served with green veg and maybe new potatoes. Yummy and lots of iron!
  • wifealiciousness
    Options
    Bad news guys.... I followed the advice but neither of us liked it too much. The flavour isn't bad, its just too intense! I think if I'd just used a small amount and chopped it smaller, there would have been more crispy outside bits which were the nicest! I would cook it again, but as a flavour rather than the staple protein I.e. use it to flavour a stew (like chucking dome Bacon in) rather than planning a meal around it! Thanks for the advice though!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'd give it to the dog.
  • wifealiciousness
    Options
    I'd give it to the dog.

HAHA too late.
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    LOVE LIVER.....

In fact, I had it for supper last night.

Little olive oil, fry oinions, add liver, cook slowly. Use juices to make a lovely gravy.

I use to love eating it with mash potatoes, now I mash cauliflower instead.

Healthy and heavenly.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!