Running NSV (C25K Grad)

Options
10 months ago I couldn't run AT ALL. I would get winded running for a bus.

I decided to do C25K on a treadmill at the gym in order to get my cardiac fitness up and burn more fat. I already walked a lot but I wanted to be able to RUN.

I completed C25K on the treadmill, then did some DVDs while I was working on my dissertation instead of the gym. When I graduated university and turned 26, I decided to start running outside. Best decision I have ever made.

On August 1st 2012, my 5k speed was 43mins 36secs.

On October 27th 2012, I ran the Great South Run 5k and here's my RunKeeper screen:

a17aeb.jpg

I smashed all my previous bests for distance, pace and speed, even in 2c temperatures!

2i1pojb.jpg

Who can say no to the free goodiebag at the end of a race? I love the shirt and I think I might get addicted to collection participation medals.

For every single person that sees this post... If you're one of those people that "can't" run. YOU CAN.
I'm not going to be running any marathons soon, but I'm proud of myself, and when it comes down to it, the best we can do is put one foot in front of the other.

Replies

• ssilvey726
    ssilvey726 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, this is awesome. I'm currently nearing the end of my own C25k journey. I'm on Week 6, Day 3, and have really enjoyed myself. It's a great way to "learn" to run. Before I started this journey, the longest I think I'd ever run was 5 minutes. Tomorrow I'll be doing 25.

Your post helps those of us on the journey know that it does work, and that if you stick with it after the program, you'll be able to accomplish all kinds of things we never thought possible. Thank you!
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That is AMAZING! You've been a great inspiration to me when it comes to running. You made it and so will I!

You look terrific too! Positively FIT!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I actually used c25k again when I was learning to run outdoors, as it is SO different to using a treadmill.
    Keep on running, I know I will be :)
  • screwedfrombirth
    screwedfrombirth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the PR. I'm gearing up to start training for a half marathon, which will be in March. One thing that helped make an easier transition for me from the treadmill to running outside was actually a tip I picked up from Chris Powell, the guy who does Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition.

To help more accurately simulate outdoor running, always run on a treadmill with the incline set to at least 1. Apparently, if it is set lower than this, the treadmill is doing the work for you. Let me tell you, I had my 5k time on the treadmill in a good place (28:57, I think) before this. Then I started running with the incline. It's been a battle, but I finally bested that time this past Sunday (28:23). And get this, when I run outside my top speed is actually higher than the speed that I set for myself on the treadmill.

Hope that helps make the transition easier for others as well.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nice! Great job. My 5k are 41 min. I can appreciate your hard work and I hope I can soon get up to 30 min. 5k.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's brilliant! You're right about outside being totally different from the treadmill!! I did all of the C25K on the treadmill, then when I went outside I thought I had lead trainers on! I'm thinking of going back a few weeks on C25K and building up my stamina!
  • dipletti
    dipletti Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    fantastic!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!