If there was a pill that made everything taste the same..

Options
I have been thinking about how much easier eating less and losing weight would be if there could be a pill that would take away my sense of taste, or make everything taste the same, neutral or perhaps very mildly pleasant. Then I could just eat for fuel and never have cravings. I truly LOVE the taste of most foods, and although it has brought much pleasure to my life, I would give it up.

In the past, I actually did take a pill (for something else) that made me not be able to taste carbonation. I don't know how it worked, but it made all pop and beer and sparkling water taste 100% flat. It was very weird. It also had a lot of other negative side effects though, but it is known to help people lose weight, probably in part due to the change in taste.

If there was a pill that made everything taste the same (neutral or mildly pleasant) would you take it?

Replies

• YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would... I think so if afterwards I could reverse it..... but not if I had to have one flavor for the rest of my life.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Only if it made everything taste like pizza or bacon.
  • fedupwithit
    fedupwithit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That sounds almost as yummy as the sci-fi nutripaste you see slopping into bowls in the movies.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    It would make making love very interesting....

But as far as making foods taste the same i say hell nah. Food is one of the joys in life, bad food is meant to have as a reward, and almost 100% of family traditions are based around meals (thanksgiving, xmas, etc.) to be huddled around a giant table of cardboard tasting food would suck, plus foods get their own culture, if everything tasted the same we all may be white, hairless chested drones. LOL im in panic mode to think my Panda Express would taste the same as my wings lol.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Only if it made everything taste like pizza or bacon.

hahaha, I would be DOOMED if that were the case!
  • cmacphee3
    Options
    It would make making love very interesting....

But as far as making foods taste the same i say hell nah. Food is one of the joys in life, bad food is meant to have as a reward, and almost 100% of family traditions are based around meals (thanksgiving, xmas, etc.) to be huddled around a giant table of cardboard tasting food would suck, plus foods get their own culture, if everything tasted the same we all may be white, hairless chested drones. LOL im in panic mode to think my Panda Express would taste the same as my wings lol.

I didn't think of implications that weren't actually food related. Haha.

Well I agree that culture and family traditions can be very food based, but I don't really mean for everyone or permanently, I just find that the cravings for a particular taste really wreck my efforts at times, and it would be easier on me to just not be able to taste it. It's a laziness thing I suppose.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about how much easier eating less and losing weight would be if there could be a pill that would take away my sense of taste, or make everything taste the same, neutral or perhaps very mildly pleasant. Then I could just eat for fuel and never have cravings. I truly LOVE the taste of most foods, and although it has brought much pleasure to my life, I would give it up.

In the past, I actually did take a pill (for something else) that made me not be able to taste carbonation. I don't know how it worked, but it made all pop and beer and sparkling water taste 100% flat. It was very weird. It also had a lot of other negative side effects though, but it is known to help people lose weight, probably in part due to the change in taste.

If there was a pill that made everything taste the same (neutral or mildly pleasant) would you take it?

Dear lord no. It is possible to make healthy food taste good, in fact a lot of healthy food tastes good without much effort anyway. Fruit tastes good, lean meat tastes good. FISH tastes good. Olive oil tastes good.

Besides, doesn't everything taste like chicken...
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I might have to kill myself if everything I ate tasted of nothing.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

isn't food supposed to be a source of pleasure in life, like sex, happiness, and other forms of endorphin releases? seems as human beings that self control and discipline are a last resort if there's something that will do something for us :-(
  • cmacphee3
    Options

Dear lord no. It is possible to make healthy food taste good, in fact a lot of healthy food tastes good without much effort anyway. Fruit tastes good, lean meat tastes good. FISH tastes good. Olive oil tastes good.

Besides, doesn't everything taste like chicken...

Oh, I'm not saying I don't think healthy food tastes good, I have trouble with eating too much of that too!
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I remember living social doing a special event where they gave you this special tablet and then had you eat things like raw peppers and onions and supposedly it made everything taste like candy..... I need to find where you can get those....
  • cmacphee3
    Options

isn't food supposed to be a source of pleasure in life, like sex, happiness, and other forms of endorphin releases? seems as human beings that self control and discipline are a last resort if there's something that will do something for us :-(

It is a source of pleasure, but for me, it is the same way some people treat drugs, alcohol, etc. I use it to medicate myself a lot. I agree, my self control and discipline are lacking. I have lost weight twice before, and the only way I seem to be able to do it is to eat the exact same foods everyday for long periods of time, almost so I forget what other things taste like. I have read studies that have stated that people who eat variety are more likely to eat more calories, so I guess it makes sense. Anyway, I know it is a persona failing of my own, I am kind of shocked nobody else would want this option though, considering all the other crazy things people do for weightloss.
  • asyrinsgirl
    asyrinsgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Were you on Diamox? I took that stuff a few years ago to manage PTC symptoms. Weirdest thing ever. I didn't drink soda for almost two years because it all tasted nasty and slightly metallic.
  • cmacphee3
    Options
    Were you on Diamox? I took that stuff a few years ago to manage PTC symptoms. Weirdest thing ever. I didn't drink soda for almost two years because it all tasted nasty and slightly metallic.

No, it was Topiramate (Topamax) for off label use as a mood stabilizer (which we then found out I didn't need). It didn't just affect my taste though, I also ended up having "tip of the tongue" syndrome, when I often could not find the right word for things (Once, I couldn't remember the word for "door") and it made thinking kind of fuzzy. But while I was on it, I didn't drink anything carbonated because it all tasted 100% flat. I don't know how that is possible because it seems like bubbles should be a feeling rather than a taste!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I remember living social doing a special event where they gave you this special tablet and then had you eat things like raw peppers and onions and supposedly it made everything taste like candy..... I need to find where you can get those....

Miracle berries. You disolve it on your tongue and it messes with your taste buds for about 10 minutes. I had it for a giggle a couple of years ago. Fun to mess about with for a little bit I must confess.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No, but that's because I don't have a lot of weight to lose. If I had 20 or more pounds, I'd give it a shot.

Now, if there was a food that made everything taste great to me, I'd take that and then eat all of my veggies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

NO!!! No No No No NO NO NO NO, OMG NOOOOOoooooo!!!!! That would be horrible. :noway: :sad:

I truly love food. I love everything about it. I love growing it, cooking it, trying new recipes, smelling it cooking, eating it. I love family gatherings with lots of food. I love cookouts with friends. I love pairing the right wine with a good meal. I'd rather just practice self control than give that up.

I also wonder if this pill would really work. I have a friend the lost much of her sense of smell and taste after an illness. She didn't lose any weight. I asked her once why she would eat anything unhealthy if she couldn't taste it anyway. She said it was horrible because she just kept eating and eating trying to find something that tasted good or at least familiar. And she usually ended up going for things like hamburgers, tacos or chocolate that "felt" familar.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    This sounds absolutely dreadful to me! Now that I have figured out what kind of food I am supposed to be eating, and started actually eating it, I LOVE the taste of all of my food. It would be very sad indeed to me if it all tasted the same!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options

bump