How critcal of a thinker are you????

Options

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    how hard to you think you would need to throw a white bagel at someone to kill them?

do you think you would need to toast it first?

interesting.....
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Science is crap, they keep changing their mind.

That's the WHOLE POINT OF SCIENCE, testing the conditions under which a theory should apply.

Frequently it's the interpretation of outcomes of science that are picked up by the media / popular culture and run with.

Genuine scientific endeavour underpins so much of what we consider base reality that very, very few people even understand that there was / is science involved. Why does your car go? Science. Why do computers work? Science. Why do you follow a diet? Science.

that's the wonderful thing about science, it's self-testing and SELF-CORRECTING, unlike other unfortunate habits of humanity.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as 'bad' food, just people who eat badly.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ignore it all. Until CNN reports a death by white bagel, I'm gonna eat it.

Even then I would question CNN's sources! :laugh:

That is probably a good strategy when dealing with CNN...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Science is crap, they keep changing their mind. Eggs are good...eggs are bad...eggs are good...eggs are bad.
    I do try to follow links to reports, or ask for sources when none are given.
    Far too often you find the 'eggs are good, eggs are bad' people are the one making a mountain out of a mole-hill study,
    A lot of study's often don't draw conclusions entirely in line with reason considering their sample size etc - but at least when reading it we can understand this and better, understand how likely it is to refer to us.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

That's the WHOLE POINT OF SCIENCE, testing the conditions under which a theory should apply.

Frequently it's the interpretation of outcomes of science that are picked up by the media / popular culture and run with.

Genuine scientific endeavour underpins so much of what we consider base reality that very, very few people even understand that there was / is science involved. Why does your car go? Science. Why do computers work? Science. Why do you follow a diet? Science.

that's the wonderful thing about science, it's self-testing and SELF-CORRECTING, unlike other unfortunate habits of humanity.

:drinker: I agree. We mock what we don't understand...
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Science isn't the problem... a desperation for quick-fixes, greed, and a fundamental misunderstanding of scientific method are the problem.

^ this.

i'm always immediately skeptical of study conclusions drawn solely from statistics, at least when it comes to human diet/health/nutrition.

correlation does not equal causation.
  • HellyMelly
    Options
    Who funded the study also plays a role in how much I accept the hype. For instance if a company that makes x funds a study into the benefits of x and finds they are all negative, then the study will never see the light of day. However on the other hand the slightest positive benefit will be over hyped by their PR machine.

Independent studies are more reliable, e.g.from consumer advocate groups etc.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sufficiently that even when I read a published article I can analyze the conclusions from the reported data and determine is the endpoints are relevant or not to a specific claim. There are good and there are bad peer reviewed articles.

If a study is looking at a specific molecular mechanism I'll be likelier to consider the conclusions as relevant and valid versus a demographic study with a posited mechanism for x or y diet or weight loss method.

Everything I know can be questioned.

Studies from consumer advocate groups with respect to science are next to useless.

Edit: Nothing from television has any value without reading up on it. In fact I watch almost no television for informational content.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of those scientific researches in TV and even did my own researches. And I have came to conclusion that there is no food what is indeed bad for you... in moderation.

What research did you find that said man made trans fat is not harmful?

I'd ask anyone to define harmful before they proceeded there...

Has been shown to have a negative impact on health.

too much of any food will have a negative impact on health. Also, at what perceptable level can we truly say something is having a NEGATIVE impact? Do we account for age/genetics? For example, seems that "gluten free" is a trend right now..yet the ONLY people for whom gluten had a discernable "negative" impact is people with sensitivity to gluten or celiac disease. The rest of us can eat gluten with no problems. Also...there are some foods that will have a VERY negative impact on infants/babies/toddlers (as in babies cannot process adult foods, and honey can cause botulism in small children). Yet those foods are fine for older children and adults.

I personally think it's wise to be wary of generalizations. And even wiser to seek out legitimate, scientific sources that are peer reviewed before you take nutrition information to heart.

Geez Louise! EVERYTHING health related is individual. On the internet generalization are all that make sense.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat everything except for soy and hydrogenated oils.....
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    I eat what I want. It's kind of like babies... When I was a baby, parents were supposed to put us to sleep on our stomachs so we didn't drown in our own vomit. Now, we're supposed to put them to sleep on their backs to avoid SIDS. Both are/were supported by the current research.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I tend to approach food with three steps:

1) Does it occur in nature, in some form? If no, then;
    2) Does it have *any* nutritional value or, conversely, known poisons?
    3) If you have to get to #3... it's probably fine, provided you don't have 300 servings of the stuff.

I think it's very easy these days to get a bit pathological about trace elements and trashy-mag-nutritional facts. People aren't stupid, you know when you're eating super-processed food that it's probably not great for you but is unlikely to make you drop dead on the spot :)
  • HellyMelly
    Options
    Sufficiently that even when I read a published article I can analyze the conclusions from the reported data and determine is the endpoints are relevant or not to a specific claim. There are good and there are bad peer reviewed articles.

If a study is looking at a specific molecular mechanism I'll be likelier to consider the conclusions as relevant and valid versus a demographic study with a posited mechanism for x or y diet or weight loss method.

Everything I know can be questioned.

Studies from consumer advocate groups with respect to science are next to useless.

Edit: Nothing from television has any value without reading up on it. In fact I watch almost no television for informational content.

The original question/post did not ask about scientific studies:
    In regards to exercise and nutrition? We all hear 'buzz words". We hear that "Dr. Oz says don't eat (insert trendy "bad" food here). So..when you hear that a food is bad for you, how much investigation do you do, if any. When you do research(if you do), what resources to you go to?
    Maybe where you are from you do not have excellent groups such as Choice, here in Australia.
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Very critical. If there isn't a randomized controlled trial (or at least a very large study published in a peer-reviewed medical journal) I am skeptical.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm currently studying nutrition to get certified. I hear things like that and just go to my books.
  • jekissa729
    Options
    Science is crap, they keep changing their mind. Eggs are good...eggs are bad...eggs are good...eggs are bad.

Dr. Oz is a highly endorsed quack...I don't listen to anything he says.

My ideal is, eat well, play hard, live long. We all have to go sometime, so enjoy every moment you possibly can.

^^^^Agreed!!^^^^
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Changing conclusions based on new observations is the very nature of science and is what makes it superior to pseudo-science inasmuch as "true believers" can not be swayed no matter what the evidence is and are dogmatic despite nothing but anecdotal evidence supporting conclusions.

Very well said.

That^^^^
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    whatever fox news tells me to eat i eat.