monthly cravings....

Options
:explode:

I struggle with my cravings around that time of the month.... I do great all month long then right around that time my cravings are out of control and i have a hard time staying on track. The worst part is once i give in alittle i can't seem to control my portions.. Anybody have any suggestions on the topic???

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am just past this 2 days failed. Not as bad as it would have been before I started all of this. Not perfect by any means. My defense is to workout like crazy.
  • IronTitaness
    Options
    I try to keep working out as difficult that may seem. Also I try to have some healthy snacks that I really like or healthy versions of my favo foods ready for the graps.

x
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    Same problem here. :embarassed:
    I hope I get some ideas, it is hard to fall back every month again and again. I tried drinking more but that means I have to stay home because of poor bladder control during "that" time.:ohwell:
    Good thing is to know it will get over after some days.
  • charlottelouise12345
    Options
    Maybe buy a small portion of whatever you're craving so you can only eat that?? When I crave chocolate I buy a small one like a milky way or a freddo frog :p then go alll the way home (so I'm not tempted to buy more...) and eat it there.

If I buy a bigger packet I will eat the whole entire thing. Like every single bit of it even if I feel sick :p
  • kirstineu
    kirstineu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I made a chocolate chickpea cake last week. High protien to help with cravings and it is low fat.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Me too. I just try and save my cheats for "those days" during the month. So, for instance, I love pizza, but I will have it only during that time. It helps, but yes, I still down cupcakes like I will never be able to have one again. *sigh*
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I find I get cravings and eat generically more for four to six days Before my period. During it I have very little appetite at all but then I get cramps, headaches and feel sick lol. Mostly I give in and have a little of whatever it is I want when I want it because I have tried to ignore cravings and found that not only did it not work, but I got snappy with people and ate a lot more of whatever it was when I finally got it then if I just gave in and had some to begin with.

Maybe try to leave 100cals or so free for must have munchie moments. Also really focus on the taste and texture of what you are eating, chew slowly and thoughtfully that can help with getting satisfaction in just a few bites rather then an entire bag, box, or whatever. :smile:
  • nymami
    nymami Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i eat smaller portions of what i am craving and workout if i am felling up to it. i don't try to fight it because i found it doesn't work then i just binge.
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have heard before that one reason we have such high cravings, is that we're low in some vitamins and minerals, and because things like magnesium is found in chocolate, that's one reason we crave chocolate. I have no medical background or knowledge, but if you don't take a multi-vitamin, maybe adding that and especially getting your magnesium level up would help you avoid or lessen cravings at that one time of the month.

Other than that, I think being on this site will help, logging the food no matter what it is, and keeping up with the other good habits you've formed.
  • BlueJue2
    Options
    Girl, I wish I had the secret key. Your post just described me to a tee. I lose all composition at THAT time and then feel guilty for it. A very viscious circle. Sorry, no words of advice from here.
  • amtaylor93
    Options
    happens to me all the time. I let myself have something sweet or I will go crazy, but as a vegan, my choices are usually not as vast. I always have something like strawberries or dark chocolate which is very good for you. remeber that you can have these things in moderation. Another thing that really really helps me is staying out of the kitchen, or any place with food! Out of sight out of mind. Drink green tea, which curbs your appitite, go to the gym, or worse come to worse, cave, have a pice of pizza, then walk away. Having 'bad food; every once in a while won't kill you! (: good luck!
  • Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I agree I usually just give in at that time of the month. My cravings are always chocolate and fried foods. More chocolate than the fried foods like this past week was my TOM so every time I went to the store I ended up buying a box of raisinets to eat lol. Then I make myself do a sugar detox to clear my system for the next month lol. I remember one time I tried to fight my cravings and ended up binging on everything in sight and "gained" 6lbs during that time from it. After that I swore i would never deny my body of anything b/c it took me two months almost to lose what I had gained.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    hi. if we used our monthly friend as an excuse to over indulge then we would never get anywhere with our journey.

If you are one of those type of ppl that can get by with a small treat and get right back on track then that might help.
    However, i am one that cannot afford that luxury.

Give yourself a tough talking too when u get in that mode. Eat more healthy snacks, walk it off, w/e it takes to get your mind off the cravings. You know deep down what will work for you.. if you dont feel like getting out to the gym, or your DVD or w/e exercise you do, then cowgirl up, take a couple midol, put on your baggy workout clothes and get movin :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I try to save calories for sugar. My problem is not being able to exercise. I have been just trying to stay under my calories. I am usually in too much pain to exercise, or simply feeling too *****y and irritated to do anything. I have a really hard time exercising during TOM.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It is that TOM for me right now, and I find that eating more protein (~150 g/day) controls any hunger pangs.

I found a raw 76% organic chocolate called Olivia Chocolat (from the chocolatiers of Chantley, Quebec, Canada) that has very little added sugar and is 133 cal/portion; the high cocoa % satisfies my cravings quickly. It is, quite simply, the most delicious chocolate I have ever had.

http://oliviachocolatiers.com
    (you can order it online)
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Cravings generally mean you're deficient in something. Determine what that deficiency is. Here's a link that will help...

http://www.dailytransformations.com/2011/05/05/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/

This states what you are craving, what the deficiency usually is, and healthy alternatives to curb the craving. Try that. Also, TOM makes us anemic. We're losing blood, so our iron levels drop. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin, or eating iron rich foods during this time. It will help as well. Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Give yourself a tough talking too when u get in that mode.

I would probably smack my own mouth if I tried to talk to myself like that when I'm PMSing. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Cravings generally mean you're deficient in something. Determine what that deficiency is. Here's a link that will help...

http://www.dailytransformations.com/2011/05/05/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/

This states what you are craving, what the deficiency usually is, and healthy alternatives to curb the craving. Try that. Also, TOM makes us anemic. We're losing blood, so our iron levels drop. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin, or eating iron rich foods during this time. It will help as well. Good luck!

Great link! Thanks for posting!
  • GuardiansChild
    Options
    I usually allow myself to eat a little bit more. For me, I don't just having cravings, but it takes more food to make me feel full. I figure my body's working harder than usual at that time, so it's ok to give it more fuel. But I also keep exercising, so I'm working off some of the extra calories. As long as I'm not suffering from cramps, I make myself do something, even if it's just taking a casual walk around my neighborhood. One thing I've discovered recently is that the more consistent I am with my exercise (and not just during my TOM), the better things go during that week. I started working out a few months ago, and since then, I've found that I have lighter periods, am less likely to get nauseous or have cramps/backaches, I'm less emotional, and I crave less during that week. I don't know if that's just my body type, but making sure that you're working out consistently might make your TOM easier.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I find that I can never get enough food the week before my TOM. One thing that has helped is Flax Seed Meal I add it to my yogurt, oatmeal, shakes or whatever. The omega-3's have helped curb my appetite. I also try to eat more salmon and tuna. During my TOM I make sure to get in some lean beef and lots of spinach for iron. When I am craving sweets like nobody's business I will get a chocolate cake mix (usually devils food) and mix with 1 can of pumpkin and cook like muffins. Then I have one of those with some whipped topping. I put them in the freezer and only pull one out at a time and only allow myself the one. Best of luck - it's something I think a lot of us struggle with! :flowerforyou: