Help with this recipe please

Options
I made some home made chili for dinner and I can't figure out how I'm going to enter it. I usually use sparkpeople but how do I enter in the beans that were made from a bag of dry small red beans. I think that's the main thing I need, I no longer have the bag it came in, but it was a whole bag I bought at walmart

1 bag dry beans cooked
2lbs 16% fat ground beef
1.5 medium onions
1 cup green pepper
1 can petite diced tomatoes (great value) 28oz
.75 can tomato paste great value 6oz
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons flour

I think this was all of it, I also added chili powder, cayenne pepper and chipotle powder but I didn't measure.

If anybody could help me out with this, that would be great. now servings are another thing all together, it almost filled the pot (dutch oven size/style) but right at this moment I don't know how much it holds and I served myself a cup and a half.

Replies

• r1chy
    r1chy Posts: 48
    Options
    I wasnt sure on how to check the calories either.

I am doing something simular this evening and all I am going to do is add all of the ingredients to a separate meal group then when I am finished click remember my meal.

I dont know if this is right. Some clarification from others would be good
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    On spark people recipe calculator, you can find Vegetable - Bean - Small Red Beans - Dried Winn Dixie - grams, 35 gram that would probably be similar. I don't know how big your bag was. If it was one of the really small bags, it was probably one pound. The next bigger one is probably 2 pounds. There are about 455 grams in a pound, so if you did choose these beans, just change the 35 to 455 for a pound. Hope this helps.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    msh0530

thank you so very much, I was ready to start figuring it all out by hand, I couldn't find the beans.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I enter all of the ingredients into MFP and get the calories, etc, for the whole recipe. Then I work out roughly how many calories I think is acceptable for a meal and divide the total calories by that figure - that gives me my number of servings. Then I serve up that many servings and freeze what I don't eat for that meal.

For example - if the entire recipe works out to 3000 calories, I figure that 300 calories is acceptable for a meal for my daily calorie allowance, so I'll divide the food up in to 10 servings, one for my plate and 9 for the freezer.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    Also - if the extra servings are already in the freezer before I sit down to eat, I won't be tempted to graze on them after tea!