I have done the BMR making no sense...advise please

Options
2»

Replies

• suemorgan1969
    suemorgan1969 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    OK whatever, but initially she stated that she had a 230 cal deficit for the 1,200 not 500, maybe I did not understand this right. But if the deficit is only 230 at 1,200 then that is not a pound per week. :huh:

The real basic math is 10x your weight minus 500 and eat what you burn for 1 pound a week loss.

that makes sense...my weight is 165 so 1650-500=1150cals a day.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    OK whatever, but initially she stated that she had a 230 cal deficit for the 1,200 not 500, maybe I did not understand this right. But if the deficit is only 230 at 1,200 then that is not a pound per week. :huh:

The real basic math is 10x your weight minus 500 and eat what you burn for 1 pound a week loss.

That isn't any sort of real basic math at all.

Besides, it was a 230 calorie deficit at 5pm. Which means her body would be burning hundreds of more calories by the end of the day, thus altering her deficit numbers.

OP, I suggest you rely on the average numbers in your weekly fitbit report rather than some random equation backed up by zero logic.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Facts in this case.
    The 230 was a given daily deficit by MFP (read the original post again). 235 was what fibit said she had burned extra over what her body burns on its own doing nothing. The 1200 she was given by MFP already factors in calories burned in normal activity which are in the fibit number too, workouts are extra to the 1200. This is why she and most people using MFP are confused to what they really should be eating.

If you are going to use a fibit then you can not go by the net MFP gives you. One needs to go to what if you stayed in bed and did nothing which is 10x your weight minus minus 500 and add fibit# for what you should eat daily to lose 1lb a week.

So if Sue veg's out the rest of the day then 1650-500+235=1385 cals
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    So many trying to be helpful, but some key pointers are flat out missed.

1. MFP will not set any goals BELOW 1200 c/d as this is an unhealthy diet.
    2. BMR & TDEE need to be defined. BMR is what you need on a daily basis in order Maintain your present weight. This is PARTIALLY based on your daily activity level IF using the goals set by MFP, which are AVERAGED. TDEE is your BMR + ALL activity ABOVE AND BEYOND your normal day (Again, utilizing the goals and MFP system).

Yes, 500 calorie deficit per day to lose 1 pound a week. but keep in mind...going BELOW 1200 c/d is HIGHLY unadvised by Medical Standards.

There are 2 theories on TDEE - eat or dont eat back the cals. My suggestion. Try one for 3 weeks. Then try the other. for the same period. That which works best for you, follow until you plateau. When you do, change it.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The MFP plan already has the 500 calorie deficit factored into it. So, the simplest solution (while sticking to the MFP plan) would be to either eat back or not eat back the exercise calories you've burned using your Fitbit, but still maintaining the base calorie consumption defined by MFP settings. Not use the calories to further your deficit. To use the Fitbit correctly, you'd need to take the total calories you've burned in a day and subtract the 500 from them (to achieve the calorie deficit required to lose a 1b a week), and that is the amount of calories you should consume in a day.
  • suemorgan1969
    suemorgan1969 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Facts in this case.
    The 230 was a given daily deficit by MFP (read the original post again). 235 was what fibit said she had burned extra over what her body burns on its own doing nothing. The 1200 she was given by MFP already factors in calories burned in normal activity which are in the fibit number too, workouts are extra to the 1200. This is why she and most people using MFP are confused to what they really should be eating.

If you are going to use a fibit then you can not go by the net MFP gives you. One needs to go to what if you stayed in bed and did nothing which is 10x your weight minus minus 500 and add fibit# for what you should eat daily to lose 1lb a week.

So if Sue veg's out the rest of the day then 1650-500+235=1385 cals

thank you x
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Your Welcome:happy: