Eating Under My Calorie Goal...

Options
So for the past few days I've been eating under my calorie goals, which I thought was a good thing. I'm also working out so I end up adding a crazy amount of calories to my goal at the end of the day. I usually work out late so I'm not about to get home from the gym and eat all of my exercise calories.

I'm now getting a notice from MFP that I'm eating too few calories and that I'm putting my body into starvation mode! I don't want my body thinking that I'm not eating and then store EVERYTHING I put in it. Does anyone else have this problem?? What should I do??? I don't really want to consume 2,000 calories a day just b/c I'm working out! :huh:

Replies

• liebling
    Options
    i'm having the same problem. although like you i'm not sure it is a problem. I feel like i am eating enough and i'm still under my calorie count by sometimes 700 or more. If you find an answer let me know. good luck!
  • caristear
    Options
    So here is what I do and I've had pretty good success with it. My calorie goal is 1200 calories a day so I eat at least that in food. I workout most nights so I have those extra calories to eat if I choose to which I never go over 1400 a day. Now I plan my food for the next day the night before so that I'm not trying to come up with extra food at the end of my day. It takes some planning but it works out in the end.
  • ashmarie8722
    ashmarie8722 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would consult your doctor to be completely honest. Or eat more calories. I don't see how you people are so far under your goal all the time, I barely make it usually and sometimes work out extra to knock off some overage i have. I would assume you can't be eating a healthy diet that low in calories, but everyone is different so again i'd talk to a doctor.
  • mctipton
    Options
    I am eating a healthy diet and I'm definitely eating! I guess I'm just not eating enough. I typically "play it by ear" when it comes to my food (whatever I'm in the mood for). I'll start planning better and that may help. My daily goal is 1200 as well.
  • kelley1006
    kelley1006 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also have at least 300 calories left at the end of the day. I dont feel hungry most of the time so if you find an answer to this problem please let me know. If I eat all of my calories I dont lose any weight. Its crazy!!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    mctipton- I checked out your diary, you may want to try and eat a bigger breakfast, also your lunch didn't have any protein in it... you are doing pretty well but I'd try and get some more protein in your breakfast and lunch, you will find that you have more energy too. Its ok to be under sometimes, I usually judge by if I'm hungry or not on wether or not I eat all my exercise calories :smile: Good luck!!!

~Leash :heart:
  • mctipton
    Options
    mctipton- I checked out your diary, you may want to try and eat a bigger breakfast, also your lunch didn't have any protein in it... you are doing pretty well but I'd try and get some more protein in your breakfast and lunch, you will find that you have more energy too. Its ok to be under sometimes, I usually judge by if I'm hungry or not on wether or not I eat all my exercise calories :smile: Good luck!!!

~Leash :heart:

Thanks! I'll try that. I do notice when I eat eggs in the morning I feel more sustained.
  • nolan_84
    Options
    Well, if you're ending up with the 1200 and after you exercise you should have 2000, maybe for for 1600 a day instead of 1200. That way you're not so far below the overall calorie goal w/ exercise included. That's assuming of course it always ends up at 2000. What I do is add half of the calories I gained during exercise. So if I'm at 1500, and i earn 500 more to equal 2000, I've have 1750ish. That way you're gaining some of the calories back but still having an extra deficit that isn't large enough to cause your body to go into 'starvation mode.' So choose how many extra calories you are going to earn in advance, then just find the middle ground and eat that throughout the day. I hope this was helpful and that I didn't make it too confusing.
  • jeffreyrashad
    Options
    i get that everyday!..and its wierd because I'm eatign more now than before i stared!
  • mctipton
    Options
    Well, if you're ending up with the 1200 and after you exercise you should have 2000, maybe for for 1600 a day instead of 1200. That way you're not so far below the overall calorie goal w/ exercise included. That's assuming of course it always ends up at 2000. What I do is add half of the calories I gained during exercise. So if I'm at 1500, and i earn 500 more to equal 2000, I've have 1750ish. That way you're gaining some of the calories back but still having an extra deficit that isn't large enough to cause your body to go into 'starvation mode.' So choose how many extra calories you are going to earn in advance, then just find the middle ground and eat that throughout the day. I hope this was helpful and that I didn't make it too confusing.

:happy:
    Not confusing, however I was just using 2,000 as a hypothetical. Only once this week did I workout so much that I had over 1,000 calories remaining when I went to bed. Thanks for your advice though!
  • lorenn98
    Options
    I eat parts of the calorie i gain from exercising it feels good, and i don't feel guilty or whatsoever! It's awesome.

I've lost a total of 13 pounds this is my 3rd week, i dunno how i did it, all i know is that i eat enough and a little bit over my calorie needs. It's probably my water weight.

Try to eat your calorie so you won't feel hungry and starving.