Balancing 1720 calories over a day

Options
Hi all

I am trying to learn to balance 1720 calories a day. Any ideas on how to appropriate them over a day. Also, t eat workout calories or not?

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I eat just over that. I just eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes I have a huge breakfast, sometimes I snack throughout the day, sometimes I barely eat anything and then gorge on dinner (or DESSERT!). I think it's best to listen to your body.

And I don't like the idea of eating back exercise calories. It's too difficult to gage an accurate number. Just factor your activity level into your calorie count. (Like on a calculator like scooby or fat 2 fit radio)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    860 calorie lunch, 860 calorie dinner

You're welcome.
  • soundofmoosic
    Options
    Trying to not feel hungry will mean success
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    1720 is a lot of calories: 400 breakfast if you like eating breakfast, 350 launch, 100 Snack (most fresh fruit tend to be around 80), 600 Dinner, leaves you with 270 calories to play around with a desert or more snacks.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I am trying to learn to balance 1720 calories a day. Any ideas on how to appropriate them over a day. Also, t eat workout calories or not?

Thanks for the input!

I found that pre-planning my day made this waaaay easier. I bring my breakfast, AM snack, lunch, and PM snack to work with me, and I try to eat them at regular intervals during the day (I start at 8am, so breakfast at 8, snack at 10, lunch at noon, snack at 2 or 3, then supper when I get home sometime after 5). I usually have room for a little snack after supper, too.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot of calories, but it goes quickly (at least to me, it does). Here is today for me:

Breakfast - I try for higher protein...seems to go better for me. This week has been 1 egg w/ 1/4 cup egg white, chopped peppers, scallions, melty cheese on top (1/2 oz). I put it on top of 1 slice sprouted bread with 1/4 avocado mashed on top. This is usually my biggest meal, as this is when I'm hungriest.

Snack - Smoothie - yogurt, protein powder, 1/2 banana, rasp/strawberries, handful spinach, and 1 oz of juice or almond milk. You could change around ingredients for this. I always use the spinach though...just a great way to get it in my diet.

Lunch - 4 oz chicken, squash ans zucchini sauteed in butter/evoo, creamed spinach (onions, garlic, evoo, spinach, cream cheese), 20-30 grapes (I haven't counted yet)

Dinner - Usually small - 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 10 baby carrots

Snacks (usually with meals, but I don't know which ones yet) - 1/4 cup cinnamon almonds, 4 squares 72% dark chocolate.

After workout - Premier Protein shake. Today, I threw my back out so I won't be working out... UGH (I'm really p'oed about it!). But, I will still eat the shake.

According to MFP, it's 1623 cals. Protein/good fat help me feel full, so that's what I'm trying to eat. I still like to have my sweets though...so nuts, Kind bars, dark chocolate keep me sane.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I eat 1750 per day and it typically looks something like this:

Morning - 150-200 (mostly coffee and cream)

Lunch - 300

Afternoon snack - 150

Dinner - 600-700

Evening - 200-400
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Just depends when you are hungry. I'm on 1800 so I have the same issues. My breakfast is almost 500 - lunch about 400 - Dinner another 500 and 400 for snacks. IF I could manage I'd be happy. I normally end up having so many calories left over after dinner that I am turning to some pretty calorie dense bedtime snacks. I'm close to 1000 today but I'm going out for dinner and look forward to a nice desert (or sharing one anyway).

Planning is the key, especially knowing what you will have for dinner - my problem is that I always feel the need to 'save' for those days when my boyfriend wants to order in (happens a lot) but then when he does not I get stuck with 600 calories of girl guide cookies ROFL (not good I know!) If you can plan your dinner you are in the clear ;)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I divide my calories out fairly evenly for my 4 meals per day, saving 100 for my bedtime snack.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You just have to find what works for you. Myself, I skip breakfast, eat a big lunch, small snack in the evening pre-workout, then a huge dinner. Works great for me. Use a little trial and error and see what works for you.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    1720 is not a lot of calories depending on your physical stats. I'm 5'4.5" and my goal is 1800/day. My diary is open to friends, so friend me.

I eat the same breakfast almost every day. Oatmeal + avocado + Mrs. Dash ~ 400 cal depending on how big the avocado is. 500 lunch, 100 afternoon snack, the balance at dinner (sometimes I leave room for a little somethin' somethin' after dinner). Everything is +/- 100.

I try to have protein at every meal/snack. I lose about 0.5 lbs / wk, although struggling the last few weeks. I'm looking forward to incorporating weights to jump start my metabolism. I have a head cold right now, so not really at my best.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1800 a day.

400 - breakfast
    400 - lunch
    600 - dinner
    300-400 for snacks throughout the day (whenever I'm hungry) and something sweet after dinner