Chain restaurants nutrician BS

Options
jjl0412
jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
:grumble: I think….

It is stupid and ridiculous that chain restaurants do not have their menus listed with nutrition info, especially on line! I have decided to stop eating where they keep info a secret. Otter BS. It is a waste of time and damn near impossible to piece ingredients together later after wasting 30 minutes on Google trying to get an idea of what to list or how to count values. It is easier to just not go to these places. That is My Opinion.. ScrewEm!!

Ie: Huddle house & Po folks and bunch more.:angry:

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree. I thought chain restaurants had to list at least their calories in their menus. But I guess the way they're getting around it is to just have it available on their website. It makes it much harder to make healthy choices.
  • jjl0412
    Options
    I agree. I thought chain restaurants had to list at least their calories in their menus. But I guess the way they're getting around it is to just have it available on their website. It makes it much harder to make healthy choices.

My main gripe, is a lot of it is NOT listed on their site, nor can you find it with a WWW Google search!!! NADA! NIX! NOTADARNTHING! Sure, they may list a menu.But that is it. Try to cross reference for nutritional info and maybe someone has posted a menu item they deciphered the info but that is seldom, & again How accurate?.

The biggest problem is you do not know exactly what the portion is and how much sodium, butter, fat or anything else they dumped in it. You can guess, you can use some other restaurants list, to guess. (but sometimes, the mystery meal is a mixed, say like a taco salad, all you can do is guess. I don't know about you, but every time I guess, head or tails, up or down, red or black, I usually LOSE!!!):noway:
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If I know which restaurant I'm going out to, I usually check their website before I go and plan out what I'm going to get. Most restaurant websites have their nutritional info on them, you just gotta look harder on some websites than others.

And yeah if you can't find it on the website, Google it. It's probably out there somewhere.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when it's not listed in their menu and my friends and I are just picking a restaurant on the fly. Then it's a matter of trying to make a wise choice and sometimes that's not very easy.

If it's a choice between fast food and a different restaurant, I try to choose a diner. They seem to never have their nutritional info listed, but their food is definitely healthier than fast food. And I've found that the MFP database usually has something that's pretty close so I feel like I'm pretty close to the calorie counts.
  • jjl0412
    Options
    :ohwell: Totally agree to limit fast food. And yes, for those things you can find a decent substitute, that can work. Bit if some meals are impossible to figure. You can guess, but is just that. I usually will just add extra calories. That is the point of the post. It is like PITW!

I'll give you an example: Huddle House Chili Salad: 5 star chili ladled on mixed greens, carrots, red cabbage, tomatoes and topped with cheddar cheese. Cals, fat, sodium, etc...What?

Chili, how much is a 'ladle'? A bowl of their chili is a bout 300 cal.How much is that? 1c, 1 1/2c, more, less, how much? Chunks of beef, beans, what kind?, tomatoes, onions and more. Veggies: 1/4c, 1/3, 1/2/ each? Cheddar cheese. What kind? How much? it can be from 25 to 100c. WHAT?

Yeah yeah.. some neat jiffy person will be glad to figure it out and educate me on their jiffyness.. but ya just GUESSED! Period! My whole point. I just add 500 extra cals for dinner cause after over 30 minutes on Google, wasting my time I said SCREWIT!
  • jjl0412
    Options
    If I know which restaurant I'm going out to, I usually check their website before I go and plan out what I'm going to get. Most restaurant websites have their nutritional info on them, you just gotta look harder on some websites than others.

And yeah if you can't find it on the website, Google it. It's probably out there somewhere.

wthout repeatng what has already been posted... in detail... it aint there!