Who gets candy?

Options

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Be careful in turning them down. My oldest son was nearly 6'0 tall when he was 10 years old. I remember him coming home in tears because all his friends were still out trick or treating. Some old hag told him he was too old to trick or treat. Yes, he was dressed in costume.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'd give everyone candy but be sure to tease those older kids not in costume. "Oh, are you a lazy teenager? Great costume."

Great answer....yes make fun of the lazy ones. I'm going too.

Then maybe you can hire them to clean up the TP in the morning!
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    I'd give everyone candy but be sure to tease those older kids not in costume. "Oh, are you a lazy teenager? Great costume."

^^^This definitely this lol! I would ask them what they are supposed to be. If they don't answer then I would say this XD
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I hand it out to everyone. But, it's pretty easy to tell when it's time to shut it down for the night when the little kids disappear and the kids without costumes start showing up. Until the little ones are gone I'm more than happy to give candy out to anyone who wants a little:)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I hand it out to everyone. But, it's pretty easy to tell when it's time to shut it down for the night when the little kids disappear and the kids without costumes start showing up. Until the little ones are gone I'm more than happy to give candy out to anyone who wants a little:)
    See you tomorrow :smile:
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Any person who made an effort to put on a costume or had an excuse why they didn't. No age limits.
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I would never deny candy to anybody that comes to my door, dressed up or not.

Just on Halloween or any given night? Can we be neighbors? jk :)
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Be careful in turning them down. My oldest son was nearly 6'0 tall when he was 10 years old. I remember him coming home in tears because all his friends were still out trick or treating. Some old hag told him he was too old to trick or treat. Yes, he was dressed in costume.

If they are dressed...I don't care if your 40yo...I'll give candy. Its the lazy teenagers in shorts, flip flops and a pillow case - no sense of a costume whatsoever that irk me!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    simple solution: don't give out candy.
    We like to give out small cannisters of play doh and sometimes those glow stick/rings thingies. Both are inexpensive.

but still-- no costume? no reward! Put a sign on your house that says "No costume - no candy!"
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    everyone
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The ones that really bother me are the ones that come to the door, no costume, late at night, when the lights are off and everyone is in bed and get upset that we aren't still handing out candy. Sorry dudes, you are the ONLY ones left on the street. That should say something to you.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I GET THE CANDY!!!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the responses. Here's what I do.... everyone gets candy. But I have two types in my bowl, good candy (fun snickers, milkyway, etc.) and cheap candy (the cheapest candy I can find in the store). Those who are dressed up get handed the good candy. Those who are not dressed up get a dum-dum lollypop or other cheap candy.

And, yes, I have lived in a neighborhood where I used to give out over 1,500 pieces of candy- with one piece of candy per person. That was always a crazy night!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets candy- I don't want any of it left around the house after tomorrow night.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Nobody over 15 IMO. If you're old enough to have a job, you're old enough to buy your own candy.

I think the whole concept of trick-or-treating is stupid though. so whatever.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I always buy "good" candy-small size bars... and "bad" candy- tootsie rolls.... I have 2 trays/bowls by door when the "child" is older they get the "bad" stuff when the child is younger-they get the "good" stuff. Is this bad of me-I don't think so-when you are 14 or 15 in my opinion you don't need to be "trick or treating". this year however after 34+ years raising kids and doing this holiday-we did not even buy any candy and are not participating this year. I wish each of you a fun-filled holiday with a little candy and lots of smiles.:laugh:
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    If they didnt dress up they dont get **** from me lol

Cruel so be it but oh well
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Do you have a teen? I would rather have teens getting together walking and trck or treating than other things. It seems like a great teen type thing to me. I am over 50 and to me they are just babies. Much better than sitting around on Facebook. Frankly our brains aren't totally developed until early 20's. That is why drinking is so bad for teens and very young adults. I don't think they eat all of the candy themselves. They are always giving it away to each other. Yes it is nice for them to dress up but they aren't all the same and it is time for them to be themselves and not have us tell them what to do and look like especially on Halloween of all times. Maybe when they go visit their grandmothers. So yes my teen went trick or treating whenever she wanted as long as she didn't do it alone. Everyone was/is welcome at my house. She was a big cosplayer so dressing up was part of the fun for her but teens need to be right on the edge sort of on their own but not quite. Close enough to be safe if needed. Sounds alot like trick or treating to me. I remember when my son was a tot. School aged kids seemed so big and grown up. I just feel so differently now that my baby is in college. I look back on myself and think wow you knew nothing then. As my kids grew I fell in love with each age. Maybe you need a teen to fall in love with. Of course it is true some parents don't they are the ones that are missing out.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    dont be stingy. give them all candy.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hand it out to everyone.

The only time I get pissed off is when someone tries to come by twice.

I think any age is fine.

My 23yo sister still goes trick or treating, lol.

I haven't gone for over 3-4 years. I grew out of it. But I would go if I didn't have class tomorrow and my friends lived closer. :laugh: