help with cravings!

Have been trying to convince myself that chocolate and cranberry juice are the devil. No matter I much I convince myself that they are loaded with sugar and calories it makes me want them more.
I'm a sucker for fresh fruit juice and will drink litres of the stuff a day.

How do I control these?

I have a bowl of cereal or scrambled egg on wholemeal toast for my breakfast and I find that I'm STILL hungry.
I've suffered from IBS in the past and had same problem so wondered if this could be part of the reason? I find myself going to the toilet twice a day (sorry for tmi) when I usually go once.

Need advice. TIA x

Replies

• violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    I am a HUGE craving eater. Since becoming vegan & eliminating processed foods, I've become much more mindful of what's actually going into my body (probably because cooking those same treats at home allows you to really see how much sugar, oil, etc is going into each one). I now only cook recipes with 1/4 c. or less (& even that is high for me) of oil & sugar. I try to use only whole wheats & unrefined flours. I also only bring home what I think I should be eating. No sweet treats, no junk food, no processed vegan "meats/cheeses", except as the rarest treats, because I know if I have them I'm going to crave only those things.

I love to follow OhSheGlows for vegan recipe ideas (sometimes high on the sugar/oil, but I just lower them), and vegweb for meal ideas. I try to find as many healthy snack ideas as I can and use those for my cravings. I make a lot of homemade muffins, energy bars, and occasionally some treats (just found a recipe for date "caramel" - basically food processed dates, peanut butter & salt). Also recipes for frozen "soft serves" (variations of frozen fruits processed in a food processor - really really good). It takes time to scout out what will become your go to craving snacks, but it's well worth the effort. I also find you eat less of them simply because your snacks now take *time & planning* to make.

As for the bowel movements, I don't think twice a day is concerning. If you look at most animals eating their natural diet, most do go multiple times per day. I consider that a good sign that your food is moving through you, not sitting there weighing you down. I myself go anywhere between 1-3 times per day, usually around 2 since really focusing on eating better.