Finding Nutritional Value when eating out

Options
I was wondering if anyone had/has the same problem that I do with counting calories when eating out and if have you found a solution/work around etc...

By far MFP is the best as having the biggest database of food information so that's why I joined. But it doesn't have everything.

The situation: 1. I am in sales so "wine & dine" is a part of my life 2. I'm on the road a lot so I don't have a lot of time to search for nutritional information when it's not a chain restaurant. 3. Even when I cook I don't eat lot of processed food and being Asian it's hard to find the nutritional value of some Asian ingredients.

I was spending a lot time looking up nutrition values of foods which was discouraging when I don't have a lot of free time to research and I know how journaling/tracking is so important to weight loss.

Help?

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I just figure out what restaurant I am going to and look at their nutritional info on their website before I go.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    1. I you are eating in a restaurant, look for similar types of food at other restaurants (i.e. I eat at a non-chain Mexican restaurant so I use the nutrition infor for Hili's fajitas or Chevy's Chile Rellenos.) It will be similar enough in regards to calories, fat and sodium. Home cooked food generally has less fat and sodium than restaurant food.
    2. If there are things that you make often, put those recipes into MFP and then they will be there the next time you cook that dish. Yeah, it will take about 15 minutes to do that the one time but then it is there.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    1. I you are eating in a restaurant, look for similar types of food at other restaurants (i.e. I eat at a non-chain Mexican restaurant so I use the nutrition infor for Hili's fajitas or Chevy's Chile Rellenos.) It will be similar enough in regards to calories, fat and sodium. Home cooked food generally has less fat and sodium than restaurant food.
    2. If there are things that you make often, put those recipes into MFP and then they will be there the next time you cook that dish. Yeah, it will take about 15 minutes to do that the one time but then it is there.

yeah I always look up beforehand. if it's a local restaurant or no info is available, I try to search for a general term or a prepared dish that is at least pretty close to the one I'm having.