Replies

• DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tomcat941
    tomcat941 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You can read brain over binge, that has helped me and i have BED.
    Basicaly it says this;
    The higher brain is like the frontal lobe, which as you know, our frontal lobe is significantly larger than that of animals. It's what allows us to interpret message from other part of a brains and choose either to ignore them, ro act on it. It controls our movements, and is where we think and it is the 'I' of the brain. It's the part that you would consider you. The higer self if you will. The lower brain is the Hypothalamus, which controls hormonal secretions from the Pituitary gland. It produces all the animal instincts, like desire for sexual reproduction, eating, drinking, growth, maternial instinct, and is involved in the aspects of your behaviour. It also contains your biological clock. It is what creates addictions. It sends out urges to breathe, to drink, to eat (in normal amounts) But if you have something, such as alchohol regulary, or you binge eat, than it becoems an addiction because the Hpothalamus believes that it is vital for survival, and creates neural pathways, which stimulates the urges. The reason there are triggers, is because if you happen binge eat during a period of time when you are stressed, because you're going to dinner with your parents in a restraunt(for example), than your Hypothalamus will believe that you need to binge eat in stressful situations, in restruatants, and with your parents, and will create urges when you encounter similiar situations. Your brain creates habits, and the more you do something, the stronger the neural pathway gets, and the stronger the addiction is. Hypothalamus will create urges, but your frontal lobe decides whether you follow it. That's why the hypothalamus is the lowerbrain, that is why it's called the animal brain, and your frontal lobe is the higer, human brain, because it controls conscious choices, rather than instincts. Also, the brain adapts, it strengthens the neural pathways that are used a lot, and weakens, and eventually destroys the ones the aren't used. That's why you get better at things with practice, but get worse without practice. So, if you don't follow the urges, the neural pathway weakens, and eventuall is destroyed and the urges will stop. The whole idea is not to avoid urges, because they're instinct, but understand that they are meaningless, and nothing more than habit, and that allows you to get over it.

Basically, to not binge, you have to detach yourself from your uges. Don't conntect with them emotionally. Your urges will say something like 'you are all alone, why not turn to food' or 'weight loss is so hard, just give up', which sounds stupid if you remain detached and think about it logically, but if you connect with it emotionally, you get into that 'poor me' mindset, and that is when you are likely to binge. Don't fight the urges, just listen to them, and accept that they will come every now and again, but it will always be up to you to act on them. So far i've been binge free for 9 days with this knowledge, usually i can't go more than 3 :)
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The thing that has always helped me out is a phrase I always see floating around the forums. "If you are falling down a flight of stairs you would catch yourself not just let yourself fall all the way down."
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You can read brain over binge, that has helped me and i have BED.
    Basicaly it says this;
    The higher brain is like the frontal lobe, which as you know, our frontal lobe is significantly larger than that of animals. It's what allows us to interpret message from other part of a brains and choose either to ignore them, ro act on it. It controls our movements, and is where we think and it is the 'I' of the brain. It's the part that you would consider you. The higer self if you will. The lower brain is the Hypothalamus, which controls hormonal secretions from the Pituitary gland. It produces all the animal instincts, like desire for sexual reproduction, eating, drinking, growth, maternial instinct, and is involved in the aspects of your behaviour. It also contains your biological clock. It is what creates addictions. It sends out urges to breathe, to drink, to eat (in normal amounts) But if you have something, such as alchohol regulary, or you binge eat, than it becoems an addiction because the Hpothalamus believes that it is vital for survival, and creates neural pathways, which stimulates the urges. The reason there are triggers, is because if you happen binge eat during a period of time when you are stressed, because you're going to dinner with your parents in a restraunt(for example), than your Hypothalamus will believe that you need to binge eat in stressful situations, in restruatants, and with your parents, and will create urges when you encounter similiar situations. Your brain creates habits, and the more you do something, the stronger the neural pathway gets, and the stronger the addiction is. Hypothalamus will create urges, but your frontal lobe decides whether you follow it. That's why the hypothalamus is the lowerbrain, that is why it's called the animal brain, and your frontal lobe is the higer, human brain, because it controls conscious choices, rather than instincts. Also, the brain adapts, it strengthens the neural pathways that are used a lot, and weakens, and eventually destroys the ones the aren't used. That's why you get better at things with practice, but get worse without practice. So, if you don't follow the urges, the neural pathway weakens, and eventuall is destroyed and the urges will stop. The whole idea is not to avoid urges, because they're instinct, but understand that they are meaningless, and nothing more than habit, and that allows you to get over it.

Basically, to not binge, you have to detach yourself from your uges. Don't conntect with them emotionally. Your urges will say something like 'you are all alone, why not turn to food' or 'weight loss is so hard, just give up', which sounds stupid if you remain detached and think about it logically, but if you connect with it emotionally, you get into that 'poor me' mindset, and that is when you are likely to binge. Don't fight the urges, just listen to them, and accept that they will come every now and again, but it will always be up to you to act on them. So far i've been binge free for 9 days with this knowledge, usually i can't go more than 3 :)
    Hmm I really like this.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Don't hate yourself, we all have the same problem. Don't wait until tomorrow to get back on track. This is a new minute and we start from here.

One thing I do so that I don't eat my calories all at once is I plan the day. I use to say "what am I hungry for?" and I use to do myself in. Right now for me boring is safe. I eat rolled oats with peanut butter for breakfast, yogurt for morning snack, string cheese for second morning snack, ham and tomato sandwich for lunch, protein bar for afternoon snack, chicken and salad for dinner, and cereal for late night snack. I know exactly what my calories, fat, carbs and protein are. I don't have to stress about when I will eat and if I can get through the day with out going over. If I'm going to go out for dinner, I know where I am going and I adjust the day around what I will be eating. No suprises.

Call me boring, but I got to 314 by eating what I felt like at the moment and eating moment by moment. I am down to 200 by planning ahead.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue! Your not alone.
  • Dennish68
    Dennish68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    thanks all for taking time to reach out to me. All the suggestions are great. It made me realize even more how important it is to reach out instead of isolate(which i am an expert at). I just put it all out there in my food diary instead of just pretending it never happened. I faced it and i am looking forward to a better day tomorrow
  • jdk322
    jdk322 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I have the same issues that Dennis is describing, especially the tendency to isolate myself. MFP has been a great tool to keep me accountable and has definitely made the difference this time around between success and failure.

Something that has helped me recently is what someone said here on MFP. (wish I could remember who it was). They said 'You didn't lose the weight in a day and you won't gain it back with one bad choice, meal, day, etc.' Thinking of this kind of snaps me out of my 'all or nothing' mentality and makes me realize that while I did mess up, it isn't the dire situation I imagine it to be and if I get ahold of myself and get back on track, everything will be ok. I don't need to be perfect, just do the best I can. The occasional slips or unavoidable situations we all find ourselves in should be expected, but they are not catastrophic. I have found that if I get right back at it, the damage can be minimized and it is much easier for me to continue on, where in the past I would feel like a failure and give in to the feelings of failure. It truly was a 'light bulb moment' for me.
  • mslisabrady1
    mslisabrady1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    good luck stick with it your doing great