Leeks and sweet potatoes

Options
jtconst
jtconst Posts: 641 Member
Hi. I am trying to incorprate some new foods into my diet. I have been buying a couple new things every week or so. This week I bought a sweet potato and some leeks. I am not sure what to do with them. I would prefer savory ideas for the sweet potato so if anyone has any good recipies I would love to hear them.

Replies

• Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I like the sweet potato baked, nothing fancy. Just bake, half and top with some butter and salt.

For the leeks:
    Slice, wash and saute leeks, put them in foil packages with fish (for example tilapia) and top with a mix of tomatoes, fresh parsley and french fried onions. Bake the foil packages at 350°F for about 40 min (longer if the fish is still frozen).
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    where did you find leeks?? I have been looking for them since some of my recipes call for them. Sweet potato I just steam them. A little butter and brown sugar but they are good just steamed as well
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I make oven fries out of the sweet potatoes, slice, spray with a bit of olive oil or olive oil pan spray, sprinkle with seasoning of choice, I use Jamaican Jerk or Mrs Dash Carribean citrus. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes, yum.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I make this sweet potato soup every fall, it's super easy!
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/african-sweet-potato-and-peanut-soup/detail.aspx
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Leeks are great in soups. A little oniony, but mild. Just be sure to wash them well. They are notorious for being full of sand in the folds. And you only eat the white and very light green part. Toss the dark green part.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    With leeks I make this quiche without the crust for breakfast:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/317211/asparagus-leek-and-gruyere-quiche
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I peel sweet potato (we call it kumera) and cut it, then put it in a bowl with some fennel seeds and salt and a teaspoon of olive oil and shake it up til it's all coated then put them in on baking paper in the oven and roast them. Yum.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Roast sweet potatoes with a little olive oil and cumin!
    And/or mix the roasted sweets with some black beans and onions, sprinkle on some cheese and a tortilla and it's a black bean/sweet potato burrito.

For leeks: Look up potato leek soup recipes
    I also make mashed cauliflower with leeks and fat free sour cream
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have two sweet potato recipes for you.

Cinnamon Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
    Boil the sweet potatoes until tender, and let cool slightly, then slip off their skins.
    Mash the sweet potatoes
    Sprinkle in cinnamon, and stir well.
    That is all I do! Some people add a bit of butter, but I am trying to get off of animal products right now.

Sweet Potato Baked Fries
    Peel the sweet potatoes, unless you like skin-on fries.
    Slice raw sweet potato into french-fry style shapes, or whatever shapes you prefer (cottage style fries, maybe?)
    Add a bit of olive oil, and stir, to coat the sweet potato fries.
    Spread them out one layer deep in cookie sheet of low baking dish.
    Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, to taste.
    Bake in oven till they are the tenderness you want (some people like them crunchier, other like them softer). You will need to
    turn them over with a spatula at least a few times during this process. They don't brown up like oil-cooked french fries, so
    the color doesn't indicate doneness.

You can also dice sweet potatoes up, steam or boil them, then mix them into salads, or serve them as a side dish, or add them to soup, or mix them with another vegetable like cooked spinach for a vegetable side dish, among other things.

Leeks can be used instead of onion in soups and stir fries. I have heard that you can also cook boil them with cauliflower to make mashed cauliflower, but I haven't tried that yet.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi for sweet potatoes I have been adding nutmeg and cinnamon. I've been cooking butternut squash too and with this
    I have added nutmeg, curry and powdered ginger for an Indian type flavoring.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    cool ty for all the great ideas guys. I am going to try the sweet potato tomorrow.
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For the sweet potatoes I LOVE sticking it in the microwave for about 5 minutes (like a bakers potato), cut it in half and squish in a slice of laughing cow cheese. YUMMY. That is actually what I had for dinner tonight.