What's the best exercise for a 180 pounder?

Options
i've bwen doing a jog-walk combination everyday for 5 days already. I allot at least 15mins everyday. I know it's not enough but i,m having a hard time catching my breath whenever i run. Well, maybe because i haven't had exercise for the last 2 years. anybody cod help me work on an exercise plan?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    The best exercise.....find an exercise you love and stick to it. If you are just starting out you will have to work up to it. If you want to run start slow. Run for 30 seconds walk for a minute and alternate till you can run for longer. I am at 180 and I mix it up all the time. I run 2-3 times a week. When I don't run I ride a stationary bike, or do the elliptical machine. I swim a few times a month and try to lift weights 2 times a week. I enjoy all these activities which makes it more likely I will continue them for a lifetime. Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey!
  • iggyinportland
    Options
    I walk. Either on the treadmill (aka the dread-mill) or outside. I can do the treadmill for about an hour and then I get bored. I can walk outside for one or two hours. I also like to swim and take aqua aerobics.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    You may want to try C25K training. In 9 weeks it takes you from sitting on the couch to jogging 31 min. Check out Cool Runnings website or look for free podcasts that will cue you when to walk/run. The program recommends only running 3 days a week to allow your body time to become used to stresses and avoid shin splints. You could just power walk on the other days.

Depending on your physical fitness you may want to DVDs. If you are more fit, Jillian's 30-day shred is popular. If you are more out of shape or looking for an easier workout, try one of Leslie Sansone's walking videos. Taking a class at a gym is also popular - esp Zumba.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Running is great to help you loose weight. It burns calories super fast! The down side is that at 180 the pounding your feet do on the groud can hurt your knees, back, etc, which can also take you out of the game :( If you have access to the gym, try out an elliptical machine. You can adjust the "running" difficulty by increasing the resistance and incline and some even will let you train in a backwards motion...all without the pounding of your feet on the ground :) The results can be comparable to running. When you loose some weight and get bored of the machine you might try to run then to rev up your workout.

Cardio is great to help loose weight in the short term. But for long term results I would definately add some weight training. For every pound of muscle on your body, you will need 50 extra calories to feed it :) Loose fat and build muscle...and eat more to maintain your weight when you are finished loosing!!