What do you have for lunch?

Options
Breakfast is easy because I rotate through a few of the same options. Dinner is a little more difficult but still fairly easy because we have probably 14 or so different recipes we rotate. But Lunch is what causes me problems. I work from home so I don't have an excuse to not eat a healthy lunch, but I struggle to keep a variety. Yes I can have the typical sandwich, salad, or soup; but those all become very boring to me really fast. I've tried having left overs but usually the next day day I don't want what I had for dinner. So I'll wait a few days. As we all know not everything can be saved for a fews before its eaten.

So my question to all of you is: What do you have for lunch?

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i only eat lunch twice a week but its usually a tuna salad sandwich..
    i make the tuna salad like this
    canned tuna (very low sodium) and 2 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese, pepper to taste!
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Honestly it is usually soup, salad, or a sandwich. I also have grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies quite often.
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    basmati rice + lite canned flavoured tuna = cheap easy rissotto
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i only eat lunch twice a week but its usually a tuna salad sandwich..
    i make the tuna salad like this
    canned tuna (very low sodium) and 2 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese, pepper to taste!

Thanks for the idea! I don't like tuna, but I have some chicken meat that I crocked and shredded and was trying to decide what to do to make it into a sammich. I will use your cottage cheese idea instead of (ick!) lowfat mayo.

Barb
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Usually just leftovers from dinner.

Or a turkey burger (frozen patties)
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Portion your leftovers into single servings and put them in the freezer. Then when you want something a few days or weeks later, it will still be fresh. Great way to keep a variety around.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    leftovers or soup.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.

I bring brown rice and chicken from home.
    I make cucumber sandwiches. No butter or cream cheese...just cucumber and bread. I love it.
    soup and/or salad
    Chipotle burrito BOWLS (split in 2)
    Steamfresh frozen vegetables (just microwave and eat)
    Protein/fiber bar

it's tough though i know...this is just what works for me.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    one flat out flax and fiber sandwich fold, wholly guacamole 100cal pack used in place of mayo, three pieces of turkey, three pieces of ham, and sprouts. Fantastic sandwich!!!!
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    lean turkey chili with lots of peppers, onions and beans. chicken.veggies stir fry with 2 tbsp with a good stir fry sauce. turkey and center cut bacon on a deli flat with honey mustard

i eat those 3 pretty often :)
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Salad with some type of protein.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a big salad.
    In a bowl/dish I fill it mostly with lettuce. I also sometimes add half spinach to add some variety. Romaine & Spinach. Next I add some red & green peppers for more veggies. This way I get several servings of veggies in case dinner isn't the healthiest.
    Next I add either roasted turkey or chicken. You can either roast a turkey on the weekend or day you have time, or I like the Perdue chicken that is ready to cook. Just add some water and toss it in a skillet to cook. You can choose different perdue flavors (I think it is perdue?) like grilled, or italian, or regular non flavored. There might be a spicey one but I don't like spicey. I only choose perdue since it is already mostly cooked and doesn't take much to prep it. I just make a weeks worth and add into my salads daily. I am sure there are other versions of cooked chicken out there...
    I also top with some shredded cheese for calcium....this could be left out if dairy isn't your thing.
    I like Ranch dressing, or Italian. But I've been using this Raspberry Vinigrette that has little to no calories and it tastes good.
  • positivelylisa
    positivelylisa Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My go to lately has been 1 C. cut fresh broccoli, some baby carrots or sugar snap peas and some sliced cucumber with roasted garlic hummus3-4 T. And either a light cheese stick or an ounce of gouda. It's a lot of food really. Takes me a while to eat it, which I need. I tend to eat too quickly - and then keep eating.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I like:
    lots of veggies with garlic hummus
    turkey pepperoni homemade calzones
    eggs and turkey bacon (breakfast food, but still good at lunch time)
    homemade chili
    protein shake with berries
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I usually eat all the stuff you said you don't want to eat ......sandwiches, soups, salads, and leftovers.

I freeze portions of whatever I make when I can so leftovers can be from days ago not necessarily last night.
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing every day for lunch (I'm a routine freak):
    - Greek yogurt with honey
    - large Royal Gala apple
    - fruit/nut/granola bar
    - baby carrots with hummus

It's not a huge amount of food, but I don't have much time to eat so it works.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing Mon-Fri: 1-2c salad (lettuce, capsicum, carrots, cucumber) and 1t olive oil. For variety I top it with 1/2c brown rice or roasted sweet potato then I add protein (2 boiled eggs, or other lean protein like fish or chicken). If I can be bothered I might add 1 rasher of bacon chopped up.