Exercising before breakfast

Options
Just read this article about exercising before breakfast - an extremely limited study.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/exercising-before-brekfast-helps-you-lose-more-weight/story-fneuzle5-1226506951347

I prefer to exercise before breakfast because it suits my schedule and my body clock. Others?

Replies

• nosillanosilla
    Options
    Working out first thing means I get it done before my day gets too busy. I've really come to enjoy my morning workouts :)
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'd rather give myself a lobotomy lol
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    If I am going for a jog in the morning or do something cardio based then I do it fasted. If I am going to lift weights, then I must eat a little something.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think fasted training may benefit already-lean individuals.

In obese folks the differences between fasted and fed training would likely be somewhere between "tiny and zero". Additionally, this study used 10 subjects, no mention was made of overall calorie or macro intake, and the net difference in fat stores was a whopping 45g.

In lean individuals, sometimes fatty acid mobilization gets to be a problem and fasted cardio can apparently assist with this. In obese people, mobilization isn't typically an issue.
  • Abbymsom
    Options
    I enjoy exercising before breakfast. It is my time before kids and work take over the rest of the day. I also find that it gives me more energy in the morning, I am happier, and it curbs my appetite!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I find it more comfortable to workout on an empty stomach :smile:
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I exercise on an empty stomach or I have a coffee before I workout
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

If I eat before working out, I tend to feel nauseous the whole time. Probably doesn't help that I wake up at 3:45 am to work out.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

This.

I can't eat before working out...my stomach feels like it's going to come up through my throat if I do...yuck! :happy:
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Best time of the day for me, otherwise I'll never get it done. Besides, what better way to get your day started?
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    On weekdays working out before breakfast means working out before work... and I've found I don't get much out of early morning workouts because I don't have as much energy. However, I do walk or bike to work every morning so I get some light exercise in before I eat.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Agree with Sidesteel.

If you can perform to the same level doing fasted training then go for it. If performance suffers then I'd eat something prior. I've found it's mainly the mental challenge though.
  • I always have a walk before breakfast. I find I'm not hungry as soon as I wake up but after a walk, I feel refreshed and hungry and ready to start the day
  • spicerv1
    spicerv1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same here. I wake up at 3:45am (Monday thru Friday) to get in 60 minutes for cardio or toning or both before work. By doing it in the mornings, I've outsmarted by excuses. Now if it provides me with a little more edge in the weight loss category...that's icing on the cake!
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Best time of the day for me, otherwise I'll never get it done. Besides, what better way to get your day started?

Now, having read the article, I've seen studies that say just the opposite. "Workout on an empty stomach and you will have less energy. A lite meal prior to a workout will give you more energy and a better workout."

Do what works best for you.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If I'm not working out in the afternoon or night
    ..I wake up, eat breakfast, wait an hour and a half, and then work out!
    I need the energy to work out and I need time to wake up a bit haha, and I also leave time for food to digest to avoid a stitch :)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    oh yes I always do my morning walk before eating. But then at night I do my evening walk after dinner.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    Hmmm. I've tried the morning workout thing and it simply doesn't work for me. It may have something to do with not being at all a morning person. Typically, it takes me a solid two hours to wake up enough I'm not awkward and clumsy. I'm basically a zombie in the morning.

For me, that means a morning workout isn't as effective because my muscles simply won't respond as readily. That makes me sluggish while trying to do cardio. Your lung capacity is at its lowest in the morning, which means less effective cardio because you wouldn't be able to move as much oxygen. The last time I attempted a morning cardio workout, it took almost a full extra 10 minutes to raise my heart rate. Since it's become difficult to raise my heart rate into the target zone anyway, that was particularly frustrating.

Having said that, I have had some success with strength training in the morning. The bonus there is that I do all my strength at home, so I don't even have to go to the gym at such an ungodly hour. Of course, given my lack of coordination at that time of day, I have to be particularly careful with form and such and definitely can't forgo a few minutes of warmup for the muscles.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i'm way too hungry when i wake up to spend 1-2 hrs working out before i can eat.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Biochemically...if the blood sugar isn't there...the body will call for the fastest and highest level of energy meaning it will draw from your muscles. It is like your body says "Oh CRAP...we need energy and we need energy NOW! Dadgum get that muscle quick high usable energy here NOW...we don't have time to wait for FAT to convert and get here!" If you goal is to lose FAT and you want your body to burn FAT it is best to have some blood sugar (food) on board so your body can say "oh...yeah...I'm going to need a bit more soon....I better draw from the fat stores."