Question for those with a really physical job.

Options
I started my job a few months ago and some days my body is so sore and tired I don't think I could exercise after work. How do I get past this block. I want to get back to the gym but need to get over this hurdle. I work at an animal shelter so I'm constantly moving.

Replies

• TriciaMcLink
    TriciaMcLink Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My previous job was very physical. I would motivate myself by telling myself I'll just work out for a quick 10 minutes. It was 100% effort to get started, but once I was there I always worked out for longer.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't work out at all for the first few months of my job. I was constantly sore and constantly tired from working so much. I let my body get used to all this every day activity before pushing more stuff on myself. It was enough just to have to come home and do dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking...

A good idea is to start slow. Do only ten minutes, maybe more if you can. Or start doing something like yoga where it doesn't require a ton of energy (you don't need to jump around or run or anything). Also the yoga will help you stretch out so you're not as sore and it'll take less time for your body to get used to the new job.

I'm not one that could just start and keep going. There were days where I seriously couldn't finished a 20 minute workout. I would start and just could not do it to save my life. However, I did the 20 minutes but I was dragging my feet and concentrating solely on staying on my feet. lol