middle of the night eating

ractayjon
ractayjon Posts: 365
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have had this problem since I was pregnant with my son (he was born in 2002!) I wake up in the middle of the night (12 - 1am)and go to the kitchen and get something to eat. When I was pregnant and well, to be honest up until I started the MFP I would always eat the same thing...a cup of milk and a few cookies (chocolate chip are my fav!). I know this helped me gain weight (duh, ya think?)
As I started MFP two things that I got rid of was soda and my dependence on refined sugars. Im still going tohave some but not as much.
So far so good. I stopped my soda (Im proud to say) with no real issues. And I have limited my cookies to maybe 3 in the past 4 weeks.
My overnight eating has stopped. I still would wake up but Id go to the bathroom, drink a glass of water and talk myself out of going downstairs to eat something. Its been working.
Until the last few days - I cant seem to get off this cycle....Im trying to talk myself out of it- telling myself it will cause my weight to go up, telling myself I dont need the sugar, ti isnt worth it...etc etc...but Ive still been going and eating. Im not hungry - Im not waking because Im hungry--
Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• YoungJr42
    YoungJr42 Posts: 25 Member
    The only thing I can think of is try to find out why you're waking up in the middle of the night in the first place. If you don't wake up you can't eat. :-)
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    :smile: I watch "What I Hate About Me" on the Style network on Dish satellite and a young woman had this same problem which caused her to gain 25 lbs. in a year and it has an actual diagnosis which sorry that I don't remember. What was suggested for the young lady was every time she woke up wanting to eat to journal, especially why she wanted to eat, her feelings etc. in that this way it would stop her from eating and get to the root cause of her wanting to eat. :smile:
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Maybe some days you could save some calories for middle of the night snaking? Get some lowfat milk and 100 calorie packs of chips ahoy or something and kinda of use them as a treat instead of any every night occurence.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Have you tried eating just before you go to bed? I know everyone says not to eat within 2 hrs of sleeping but if you wake up and eat cookies that's not exactly good either! Try eating something with lots of protein and fiber and maybe it will keep you full till morning?
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    I would put a post-it note on the cookies, reminding me of my goals:) Also I would suggest, although I have never tried, having a glass of water and tin of altoids by your bed. I love drinking cool water with a breath mint, refreshing! And you can't mix cookies with that taste in your mouth! LOL
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    The only thing I can think of is try to find out why you're waking up in the middle of the night in the first place. If you don't wake up you can't eat. :-)

Sleep has always been an issue for me. For years I would go t obed at say 9pm and not fall asleep until 1-2am but then not be able to wake up in the morning. I went through sleep studies and a bunch of other sleep related things. Finally I started yoga in the evenings (relaxation yoga not cardio yoga) and a sleep medication that helps me to fall asleep...but the night wakings have never gotten solved.
    Its mental I know it is - I have to figure out the why?!
This discussion has been closed.