Question for anyone who has lost 100lbs or more

Options
I have always feared of having excess skin after loosing all the weight I want. I have been told as long as you are working out you won't have any excess skin but is this true. Is there anyone who has lost significant amount of weight and didn't have surgery for excess skin cause I refuse to have surgery for excess skin.

Replies

• IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've actually lost a total of 105 pounds from my highest weight, and have been maintaining since March of this year. Although a lot has tightened up with regular workouts, there is still quite a bit that is still pretty loose. It has been said that it can take up to 18 months after hitting your goal to see the final results, so I'm still holding out hope!

How much loose skin you have will depend on a number of factors: age, genetic makeup, whether or not you take in the right amount of fluids/nutrients to promote skin elasticity, etc. I think what it all comes down to, though, is sheer vanity -- is it more important to you to be *healthy*, or do you just want to look perfect?

I'll take my "healthy with a little loose skin here and there", TYVM! :happy:
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am still jiggly around the middle.

I have had two big pregnancies and was up to 265 that I really know of.
    I think that it was higher.

Working out has really helped.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    When I lost nearly 100lbs a few years ago I didn't do any exercise whatsoever nor did I have a problem with loose skin. I doubt exercise will make any difference to whether you end up with loose skin or not - I think it depends more on genetics. My mum commented that she was surprised I didn't get loose skin and at the time I thought that was a weird thing to say. Till then I had never contemplated the possibility. I guess I'm just lucky because it can be real curse for some people.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have lost 180 pounds....exercised 4-5 times a week for the last 4 years....and did weight work from the beginning and YES i do have excess skin. On my arms, thighs and stomach. Really its just the thighs that bugs me tho. I am the same as you tho...no intentions of having surgery....i prefer to see it as a battle scar and just a reminder of what I dont want to go back too...dont let it sway you off track :)
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have lost 180 pounds....exercised 4-5 times a week for the last 4 years....and did weight work from the beginning and YES i do have excess skin. On my arms, thighs and stomach. Really its just the thighs that bugs me tho. I am the same as you tho...no intentions of having surgery....i prefer to see it as a battle scar and just a reminder of what I dont want to go back too...dont let it sway you off track :)

I have to loose about that much too. I only want to have surgeries that are necessary. My mother tells me that by working out it will tone my skin so I won't have excess skin. I just wondered if it was true.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have alot of extra shrively look skin that hangs some on my tummy -- I had twins though so I account alot of it from that.

I assume I may need a tummy tuck and my abs sewn back together.
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    I've lost 68lbs so far (only 10lbs to go) and I am also seeing loose skin on thighs, upper arms and stomach area. I'm in my late 20's so I never really considered this factor prior to deciding to lose the weight. I really wish I had now :( I also don't want surgery.

I've recently started going for skin tightening treatments (not surgery!!) which consists of a heat based massage type treatment. I don't know much about it but my husband has worked with them for years, so I thought it worth a try. I've only had 2 treatments so far, so I don't see results just yet, but his colleagues recommend that others in the same position should start treatments soon after starting the loss. The skin has more chance of "bouncing back" gradually, rather than just starting with the loose skin at the end of loss.

Sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful... Good luck on your loss though!
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Best way to think about this topic ( this is what my doctor told me ) When someone goes in for a skin graft they need to strech out your skin by somekind of device they will implant in you. This is done so they can get extra skin and put it where they need to but, when your overweight it acts just the same as the device, your fat is stretching out your skin. YOU WILL NEED SURGERY TO GET RID OF IT.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs and don't have one once of loose skin. My abs are as tight as all get out. I have some stretch marks on the back of my hips but it doesn't bother me. I think of them more as battle scars.

i maintain on the low end of my BMI as well. I think the exercise regimin has helped tremendously, and I do a lot of core, cardio and strength training five days a week for one hour. I did this as I was losing weight (started out at 3 to 4 days a week for a half hour/40 minutes, and I think that was critical to allowing myself to have the success that I did.