Hypothyroid Help?

Options
Hi! I am wondering if anyone has any advice dealing with hypothyroid weight loss? I am on 75 mcg of Synthroid (levo gives me weird side effects) and my T4 is fine. I am working out and slowly converting to eating cleaner, just looking for extra help and maybe some tips that others have learned in this long, long journey!

Replies

• griffx12
    griffx12 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been on the same meds for over 20 years! I gained 30. Pounds in 3 mths in high school. I do 1200 calories plus exercise and I'm losing. It may take a little longer but it's totally do able.
  • 240x30
    240x30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm also Hypo and I'm eagerly waiting responses. :)
  • AZiegenhorn
    AZiegenhorn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm hyopo and on levothyroxine . . . I've been tracking in MFP for about a month and have been losing consistant with the goals I have set.
  • Hilarious92
    Hilarious92 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing any specific strength or cardio exercises? Or just tracking and being aware of food choices and caloric intake?

Sorry I am so specific! I have been searching for answers for a year and am glad to have found a friendly place with answers :)
  • PlusSizeGal
    PlusSizeGal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, im also with hypothyroidism, and looking for supporters/motivators,
    im not taking meds for my thyroids for i dont have any insurance, but im looking for information on seeing
    a doctor as i can, i moved to florida and they are giving me a hard time with medicaid,
    im hoping to find a free clinic or so to get the medication.. ever since i stopped taking meds i've been gaining a lot of weight, and im trying my best to lose the weight at least 30lbs i want to lose.
    from what i was told, you need to drink lots of water, stay away from sugar drinks and soda, and fast foods.
  • AZiegenhorn
    AZiegenhorn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been focusing completely on diet - I've only taken a couple of short walks in the month I have been tracking. Honestly, I'm not even letting the hypothyroid be a factor in my thoughts on losing weight - I think losing weight is hard and requires lots of discipline and concentration no matter what the circumstances.

I should also add, I think exerciese is really important and I should be doin it - I'm just taking one step at a time right now and haven't crossed that bridge very well yet.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have been hypo for years and on 88 mcg. I go see my endo for the 1st time today, so i am every excited and hope to get some answers... I found 1200 cals a day and eating back all my exercise cals is what worked best for the most weight loss... right now i am more of maintaining and eat 1400-1500, i find once i go to 1600 or more i start to gain right now and 1600 is suppose to be my maintance, so i think my dose will need to be adjusted soon. it will be a LONG slow process, so don't get discouraged, it took me a year to lose 20 lbs, and most of it didn't come off till 6 months ago when i got my dose upped.
  • cwestcott01
    cwestcott01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HI I am hypo also, I have been on meds 3 years. If you are not taking meds because of insurance I highly recommend buying some Kelp pills and even if you are taking meds add this to your daily routine. It helps alot. I am doing 1200 cals, no exercise yet, I also take a water pill, because alot of weight a hypo gains is in water. I stay away from rice and pasta, bread and eat Quinoa, chicken, salmon, and lots of veggies. Also I had my Viatmin D checked and it was low, its common with hypothyroid so now I take 50K of that a week prescription. Any of you feel free to add me if you want. Check out http://www.motherearthliving.com/cooking-methods/smart-foods-for-hypothyroidism.aspx

Alot of tips
  • Melody751
    Melody751 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm 19yo, and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a week before my 17th birthday (Cruel, right?). Anyway, I'm on 175mcg of Synthroid right now, as per my last blood test. I stay away from cereals, breads, grains, pastas etc. because I find they elevate my blood sugar levels so much so that I get fatigued/pass out/my body "shuts down" - which definitely doesn't aid in metabolic function and thus, weight loss. I eat a lot of quinoa, eggs, feta cheese, cottage cheese, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, protein powder, protein bars, protein "shakes" (homemade), chicken breast, salmon, vegetables and only SOME fruits (also, with a lot of fruits, they are ridiculously high in sugar - even if its the "good" kind - and best be avoided while you're trying to lose weight). STAY AWAY FROM POP/SODA (even the diet kinds!) Drink tea, coffee, or (most importantly) water. Exercise often. I cannot stress this enough. Muscle burns fat and when you exercise regularly, you increase your metabolic rate even when you're not working out. It also does wonders for your skin /toning, gives you energy and endorphins! I try to walk half an hour to an hour per day, do about a half an hour of cardio 5x per week, ballet, yoga or snowboarding (aka a full body exercise) 3x per week and HEAVY WEIGHTLIFTING 2-3x per week. So far, I've seen great results. I started MFP a little late, but since starting in on this lifestyle change, I've lost just over 30 lbs and 20+ inches and I'm still losing.

hope you can find this information to be of use for you & good luck xxxx
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for 8 years. I'm currently on 100 MCG Levothyroxine. My weight loss and gain has been a horrible roller coaster ride. I have noticed my weight loss comes to a hault or I gain weight with excessive dairy. I also follow "Thyroid Sexy" fan page on Facebook that has a lot of great information. I've learned from them that we are actually not suppose to eat any gluten (but I can't afford it...). I try to stick to as "natural" as possible.. produce, lean meats.. I also limit my carb intake. If I'm in need of a "burger" I eat Morning Star veggie burgers on the Thin 100 calorie buns. MFP says I can eat up to 1,770 calories a day but I find I can't eat any more than around 1200 to 1400 a day just by eating healthy, portions and moderation. In my previous attempts of "dieting" I never actually counted my calories. I'm finding counting calories is much easier and beneficial than I ever thought possible. I have currently lost 30 pounds since September 12th.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!