Can't seem to loose the weight, I need some tips!

Options
2»

Replies

• tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the healthy changes that you have made!! To be honest, I only skimmed most of the comments and this may have been mentioned, but the calories that you burn, do you eat those additional calories? Say if you burned 300 calories in a workout do you just say woohoo or do you say "I now have 300 more calories to eat?" I know there is some debate over this, but when I lost 50lbs, I stopped losing weight when I didn't eat the additional calories that I "earned" in my workouts. Your body needs more fuel to born more fuel. That's just my 2 cents.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

The biggest problems I'm facing:
    -I'm tired ALL the time. I mean it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little sleep I get, I'm falling asleep ALL the freaking time. If I have to wait to long at a stop light I'm falling asleep. It's pathetic. Even large amounts of caffeine don't seem to really do the trick for very long. They work for maybe an hour, sometimes if I'm lucky I get two hours, but then I'm right back to falling asleep. This can't be normal.

Sounds like you need a sleep study. I had one done and I have a CPap machine and I feel so much better!!
  • LyndsMill
    Options
    I completely know the feeling! I've only lost 4 lbs since starting two months ago! Question: have you been tracking your inches? I just started doing this and noticed that I'm losing inches more so then weight. I'm thinking this has to do with the Insanity workouts I have been doing. They build lean muscle which, by the sounds of it you are doing as well through your workouts. So while you aren't losing much in the way of weight, you are toning up and losing inches which to me matters more than the scale.

I would definitely get your thyroid and andrenal glands checked out as well. The fatigue issue is something you need to delve into a little more.
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    See if your doctor can check you for an underactive thyroid. If you're tired all the time and can't lose the weight, it may be the culprit. Good luck!

I had the very same thing. I finally went to the DR and found out my thyroid wasn't functioning well. I have been on a thyroid pill for about 6 months now and have begun to finally see weight loss. I have more energy. I sleep through the night. It has drastically changed my life!! :flowerforyou:
  • bostonmia
    bostonmia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My ultimate recommendation is getting the book Nutrient Timing, researched approach at losing/gaining/sustaining weight based on PERSONAL goals, lifestyle, body comp, etc. This really truly may open your eyes.

Thought I would share this with you, I know most of us think immediately Thyroid and agree that when you test on the low side of normal you can absolutely still be affected. You must be your own health advocate, you must continue to ask, push and make it a priority for yourself. No one but you knows how it feels to wake up in your body every day.

Here is an article to get you thinking: http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/why-youre-tired-all-time

Also, as a Trainer, not a Nutritionist or RD, I would consider looking at 1200-1300 calories/day. Enough to sustain you, keep you satiated, however enough to truly make a change in your current diet. At that rate you should see a decrease between .5-1 1/2 lbs per week which is a very safe and effective pace to lose fat and less muscle and other water/etc .

Sugar.... I would absolutely cut down on the sugar, especially if you are stressed!! The recommendations are for ADDED sugar, so fruit would not count as going over or Lactose in yogurt, but at the end of the day you want to cut out as much as possible. Low sugar fruits such as berries, kiwis, grapefruit, cantaloupe may be good options to wean yourself off, and in moderation.

Stress=cortisol= belly fat and that is some of the hardest to lose.

Questions I have:
    Are you eating 3 meals a day, 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day?

What is your typical intake for fat?

Are you using artificial sweeteners? If so, I would cut those out completely and change to either non or a purer form such as Stevia.

Veggies are great, but what are you adding, putting on your veggies or to your meals? Are there any hidden calories you are not paying attention to, cream in coffee, olive oil in your meat/veggie cooking, sauces or extra seasonings, ketchup (hidden sugar)?

I would suggest truly trying to eat CLEAN and see how you feel. Clean proteins, steamed veggies, brown rice, quinoa, nuts, raw veggies, protein supplements (whey or veggie), no dairy, dairy substitutes like almond milk, Greek yogurts (no added sugar),

In the end there is no EASY answer and this is a journey that you sound pretty committed to, I have faith you will find your answers with time, perseverance and lots of COMMITMENT and support.

Happy Halloween!!
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to correct grammar especially when someone has just poured their heart out. Ego issues?
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice on getting all the thyroid levels checked. One thing also, how do you sleep? Sleep Apnea can be the culprit in energy, weight gain, daytime sleepiness. A sleep study may be worth looking into.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The fatigue issue is also a red flag for me.

You may have undiagnosed sleep apnea. Sleep apnea can affect everyone, regardless of their weight. We often associate it with obesity, but thin and fit people can have it as well. An interesting thing about sleep apnea is that it prevents your body from releasing leptin (the "I feel full and happy" hormone) which causes us to eat more. When your sleep is frequently interrupted, your body also releases more cortisol ("stress") hormone.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years ago, but I know that I've had it all my life. I have never felt better, or more able to work out and be active, than I have since getting diagnosed and treated.

Even though I've lost over 100 pounds and am normal weight, my sleep apnea hasn't changed one bit, so please don't think that it only affects people who are morbidly obese.