Need help gaining healthy weight!

Options
Hi all,

I'm new here. I am a 28 year old female that has lost approx 7 pounds from my 5'4" frame. I am currently 110 lbs and trying to get up to 117. What are some healthy-ish foods to help gain weight?

My weight loss is from severe stress, so I generally don't' have as much as an appetite as I used to :(

Cat

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Nuts would be a good place to start as they are high in fat but good for you. Avocado too. What about the weight gain shakes that body builders drink - a direct approach without having to eat lots of food.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread about this a month ago. Couldn't find it though. Maybe you will have more luck but someone posted a massive list of high calorie healthy food.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to get lean body mass?
  • silverchez
    Options
    I am already pretty lean and fit, but due to extreme stress, I need to gain some weight back (approx 5-7 lbs). I work out regularly--alternating weights and cardio, so decreasing my exercise isn't an option. I've try weight gaining shakes with minimal results. I just need relatively healthy calorically dense food ideas! :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Avocados, nuts, seeds, nut butters, cheese, full fat dairy, healthy oils added to salads or cooking, dark chocolate, eggs, slightly increase portion sizes of proteins and carbs that you already eat. If you find you get full easily, then drinking your cals can be easier: milk, nut milks, smoothies, protein shakes etc.

And, it might sound obvious, but avoid anything labelled "low fat" or "lite". You might want to cut sugars for health reasons, but don't be afraid of eating fat.; it's high calorie, and good for your body.
  • silverchez
    Options
    I've been trying to drink whole milk regularly; I am just worried the amount of fat in it will raise my cholesterol. Thanks for your suggestions :)
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to drink whole milk regularly; I am just worried the amount of fat in it will raise my cholesterol. Thanks for your suggestions :)

if you are healthy and active, whole and natural fat will not do this. especially if you are needing to gain weight. saturated fat isnt bad for you. highly processed fats are bad for you.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i agree on the mik, it is the fake oils in cakes & cookies, youll never find a baby or toddler w/high cholesrol,