I Don't Get It!

Options
I watch programmes on TV and read packaging on food and it says the average woman should eat 2000 cals and if they want to lose weight eat 1500. I am eating less than 1500 and I am either stuck where I am or putting on. I know everyone isn't the same but it is just really annoying to not lose when you are being good. Rant over :smile:

Replies

• kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yup. Consistency is the key - just keep at it no matter how disheartened you feel. Don't let your mind win the battle! You are doing this for health AND weight loss. There are lots of factors that play a role in weight loss too, ie stress, hormones etc. dr Libby website has some good info.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The clue there is in the word "average".

You're not average, you're you.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Have you found the 'goals' link on the 'home' tab?
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The clue there is in the word "average".

You're not average, you're you.

I'm average in everything else, but not the one thing I want to be average in, typical :laugh:
  • Poods71
    Options
    Have you found the 'goals' link on the 'home' tab?

Ye, I have set it all up and my projected loss is 0.3lbs a week, so if I go over even slightly I won't lose that explains it. I don't want to change it and put cals down as I am pretty near where I want to be anyway and I don't like being hungry lol. Probably the fact I can't get my walks just now cos my knees are bothering me isn't helping.

Ah well, keep at it and hopefully get where I want to be eventually :smile:
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If your eating a lot less than 1500 your body will hold on to what its got thinking you wont feed it again - especially if your overly hungry.

Have you looked at your portion size/preperation of food - theres lots of places for calories and additional fats to hide.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    If your eating a lot less than 1500 your body will hold on to what its got thinking you wont feed it again - especially if your overly hungry.

Have you looked at your portion size/preperation of food - theres lots of places for calories and additional fats to hide.

If that is the case, why does fasting work?

Do you know how long it takes for the metabolism to slow down? It takes days of not eating to feel hunger, not just a few hours which is normally thirst not, real hunger. These are myths perpetuated by the internet and the ill educated.

What you eat and when you eat it is important here. 1500kcals is enough and you can eschew exercise with those numbers, unless you are looking to put on muscle mass too?
  • Poods71
    Options
    I eat 1400 but this week as I am off work ill and can't exercise so harder to stick to 1400, but I try not to go over 1500. I would have assumed I would lose as I am not starving myself but not overeating either. I don't do loads of exercise just walking when I get the chance but that is not possible just now because of my knees.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    As someone else also said, consistency is the key. How consistently do you stick to these calories and how truthful are you to yourself about it? I went for years, not understanding why I was getting fatter and fatter, when I was being diligent, made the healthy choices, yet my weight just went up and up. (And this was after losing weight successfully with a "lifestyle" change program, so I knew what was good for me and what was bad for me).

It was only get I started doing it EVERY day, logging absolutely EVERYTHING that I started realising how badly I was lying to myself. You need to get a handle on things and keep track of food you are eating for at least two weeks. Be careful in reading the labels, because quite often, the label will give you the calories for x amount, but there's more or less in the pack. (This was also something I used to do - it's only now that I realise that when I was comparing the pre-made salads in the salad aisle, that the pasta salads' calorie count was for half a pack, whereas other salads are for a full pack, so it seems like the one is less where the other isn't.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    I eat 1400 but this week as I am off work ill and can't exercise so harder to stick to 1400, but I try not to go over 1500. I would have assumed I would lose as I am not starving myself but not overeating either. I don't do loads of exercise just walking when I get the chance but that is not possible just now because of my knees.

No problem, shift the carbohydrates to the evening. Where possible eat them as late in the day as you can.

Before anyone jumps on this, yes your body does use glycogen when you sleep and needs to be replenished but you body is more than capable of doing this from lipids, or fat reserves. You may feel a little sluggish for a few days but this is normal.

Carbohydrates are great at what they do and when you’re exercising they do it well. However, if you can’t exercise then regulate your hormones and keep blood sugar level and avoid carbohydrates until evening. Or the carbohydrates will not get used and stored as fat, negating the point of all this.
  • Poods71
    Options
    As someone else also said, consistency is the key. How consistently do you stick to these calories and how truthful are you to yourself about it? I went for years, not understanding why I was getting fatter and fatter, when I was being diligent, made the healthy choices, yet my weight just went up and up. (And this was after losing weight successfully with a "lifestyle" change program, so I knew what was good for me and what was bad for me).

It was only get I started doing it EVERY day, logging absolutely EVERYTHING that I started realising how badly I was lying to myself. You need to get a handle on things and keep track of food you are eating for at least two weeks. Be careful in reading the labels, because quite often, the label will give you the calories for x amount, but there's more or less in the pack. (This was also something I used to do - it's only now that I realise that when I was comparing the pre-made salads in the salad aisle, that the pasta salads' calorie count was for half a pack, whereas other salads are for a full pack, so it seems like the one is less where the other isn't.

I am always totally honest, no point in kidding myself, and have been caught out by the packets only giving you the cals for half a pack so I don't get caught out with that anymore.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I think what you're doing is right anyway as I know from daily seeing your diary that you are consistant at staying within your cals, and ok so if things were working right you should lose 0.3lbs a week, its not a lot but if it were even that it would be something - I think we all know deep down if we wanted to shed pounds quickly we could eat really 'cleanly' and they would DROP off but this isnt a 'diet' we're on, we're taking it slow, altering our food choices etc and I do believe that the pounds will start shifting and soon. I know at the weekends are your biggset problem but even there lately you have been keeping under allowance too - I was sure you'd see a nice number on those darned scales!! I do think as someone else has mentioned that sometimes we CAN underestimate our portions, I know I sometimes can't be bothered weighing the food and I know if I'm honest thats probably why I'm not losing a bit more each week, but we are busy people, we are trying and we ARE doing WELL :) and I'm glad I have you and some other great friends on here to keep me motivated!

Just keep on going, when your knees are better again and you're able to walk again you will feel and look better :)

Ruth xo
  • Poods71
    Options
    Thanks Ruth, always the voice of reason :smile:
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I ignore that projected weight loss. Just watch your calories and the scale and be sure that you track everything. Once you've had a couple weeks then you will be able to tell if you need to increase or decrease your calories.