New Beginning

Options
I have not been very successful in following a calorie restricted plan with a balance of exercise for a few months. As a result I have gained weight. No scale at home but I know it's in the area of 10 lbs by how my clothes fit.
Today is a fresh start! Anyone care to join me in a new beginning?

The key for me will be the exercise piece. Not only does it give me calories back, but it actually curbs my eating. So it's time to dust off my old friend - the treadmill - and step into a new beginning.

I've been using MFP for over a year and appreciate the support here on the forums.

SO WHO'S WITH ME ON A FRESH START?

Replies

• karenmetfan
    karenmetfan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT GAIL! Keep with the exercise and you'll get to where you WANT to do it. Never thought that would happen for me, but it has. I still have days where I just don't want to do it (mainly because of pain in my heel--plantars fascitis), but I still do or I count it as my day off and get right back on the next day. I mixed it up too. I like walking, but when it gets too hot or too cold outside or it's raining/snowing, it's just not practical to go out. I have the treadmill too, but again, if I just did that I'd be bored. I happen to LOVE Leslie Sansone's DVDs. You don't have to be in perfect shape to do them, you can modify the moves to meet your needs and you can increase intensity as you improve. I've gotten a good workout with them, she targets other areas so you get some arm work in, you can add wrist weights to add some strength training or use a stretchy band. When I enter it on MFP, I use aerobics. I really enjoy the DVDs and was liking doing them more than going out for a walk or doing the treadmill. I think I have 5 of them now and use the walk boosters she has (got them with the dvds--stretchy bands, waist belt, wrist weights). The key is finding something you like to do so you will stick with it. That's why I chose walking. I LIKE it and can do it even when my knee, ankle or heels are bothering me (just don't do as much or walk as fast).

The other part is making sure we make smart food choices. I still allow my treats, but I'm eating smaller portions. Also looking to find lower calorie/healthier versions. For instance, I found a low cal, but delish pumpkin nut (I use chocolate chips) for only 160 calories. Instead of chips, I am buying Pirate's Booty--1/2 oz packages only 65 calories. I don't drink hot tea or coffee. I'm a milk girl, but plain milk in the morning makes me nauseous so I have been doing chocolate milk. I switched to a lower cal syrup that cut about half the calories. It's just little changes, but they add up to make a big difference. I'm not depriving myself, I'm not being a food nazi, I'm just trying to be smarter about it. Even though I knew what to do in the past, I'm actually following through on it now.

So far it seems to be working for me :) Hope you have the same success! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • poulingail
    Options
    You are a motivation for me Karen. I watch you post your workouts and your successful eating and I think "That girl is amazing!" I'll DM you the link for some heel seats that I have used with great success for plantar fascitis. It's the exercise that keeps my weight down. Without it I gain it back fast. Today was a success but I still haven't dusted off the treadmill.
  • karenmetfan
    Options
    Thanks :) I've been able to get the BP back to normal with the weight loss and want to get off lipitor at my next visit. Think I will since my non-fasting test was normal. I don't want to be on meds if i don't have to be.

I know, for me, I needed to be still be able to have certain things (like my daily chocolate!). I'm not going to completely omit things because they aren't "healthy," but I am going to be smarter about it. Like replacing chips with something else, whether it be pretzels, popcorn, pop chips or the pirate's booty. They work when I need the salt fix. Planning for certain meals helps too--if I know I'm going to have a higher cal dinner, I have a lower cal lunch and/or breakfast. On Saturdays I pick up Chinese food after Church. I know that's going to be higher cal, so I usually will have a lighter breakfast and lunch--cereal and banana or other fruit and a pb sandwich for lunch, for example--or I'll have a bigger breakfast, but then just have a piece of fruit and a kashi bar for lunch. Not skipping meals, but having a smaller one. This way I can still get my fix of curry chicken :P

You can do it! :D
  • janeelizabethhoff
    Options
    I'm with you. I have tried sooooo many times to loose. Joined MFP about 3 weeks ago, taking one meal at a time. Sending you a friend request.
  • karenmetfan
    Options
    Feel free to friend me :) You can do it!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    me to sending a friends request
  • foodcallsme
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it! Feel free to add me :)