effectiveness of elliptical trainer

Options
Hey everyone! :)

I was just wondering opinions of an elliptical machine. Anyone have any success stories from using the elliptical as their main source of cardio? I always check my heart rate and it is in my target zone throughout the duration of the workout. I then do strength training for another 20-30 minutes.

Hope this questions makes sense. Any feedback is welcome!

Replies

• jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thats what I do also. I have arthritis in knees and elliptical is only thing I can do besides swim. I also do weights 3x week. I have noticed my elliptical at gym calories are quite a bit less than what MFP gives. I go with the gym calories as MFP doesn't differentiate the intensity or my weight as the gym one does.
  • PatrickCoyle
    PatrickCoyle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to use the elliptical to protect my knees when I started but as I became fitter i found it harder to get my heart rate up on it so moved to the stair climber
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Do you do weight/resistance training also? I've been doing a lot of research since I re-joined a gym, and it looks like you get the most benefit from your workout by warming up on something like the elliptical for 10 minutes, then doing your weight training, then finishing on the elliptical (or whatever) for 20-30 minutes.

In the past, I've noticed that over time it gets harder to keep my heart rate up while on the elliptical. That isn't a problem right now, though.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! :)

I was just wondering opinions of an elliptical machine. Anyone have any success stories from using the elliptical as their main source of cardio? I always check my heart rate and it is in my target zone throughout the duration of the workout. I then do strength training for another 20-30 minutes.

Hope this questions makes sense. Any feedback is welcome!

I used the elliptical as my primary source of cardio when I lost 40 lb (before joining here), with some weights afterwards. According to my diabetes fitness instructor, you need to be doing at least 45 min of cardio (any cardio) per session to get the full benefits. I did from 45 mins to 1 hour. Now that I'm stronger, I mainly run instead, but still use the elliptical sometimes.
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    am i right in thinking the elliptical machine is a cross trainer? if it is I LOVE going on that! My buns are loving me for it! Plus the one in the gym has an aerobics setting where it tells you to push, pull go forwards/backwards and go faster or slower. I always work up a sweat on it working from 10 mins to 30mins. I also run 5km as part of my work out but the cross trainer is much more fun.