Coffee?

jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone know if coffee can cause slowed weight loss?
I have approx 6 cups per day with a little skimmed milk (that a i allow for) and 2 splenda 0 calorie sweetners in each.
I keep within my daily allowance give or take 100. I have treats but within all my guidelines and am very low on fat rate.
My weight loss is just static for nearly 2 weeks despite working out nearly everyday. And I still drink 6 - 8 glasses of water each day too.
Could caffine have an effect on this do you think?

Thanks for any help x

Replies

• I was wondering the same thing.............? So I just switched to half-caff coffee. Would love to know the answer to your question.
  • I DONT THINK SO...MOST DIET PILLS HAVE CAFFIENE IN THEM. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE HIT A PLATEU. TRY CHANGING YOUR WORKOUT TO CREATE MUSCLE CONFUSION.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Everyone has different responses to different foods. I would cut way down on the coffee 1-2 cups for 2 weeks to a month to see if it makes a difference. You need to do it long enough to get it completely out of your system and see if less coffee makes a difference for you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    caffiene probably speeds up your metabolism rather than slows it as it increases your heart rate. I also know of products containing caffeine and other stimulants that claim to boost your fat burning capabilities and Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).

I have heard numerous times that you shouldn't drink coffee past midday(roughly) mainly because its a stimulant that can distrupt your sleep patterns.

All in all too much caffiene isn't good for you - it's a drug/stimulant at the end of the day. To me 6 cups of coffee a day sounds like a lot and could lead to other problems like migraines or head aches, put strain on your heart.

I'm not suggesting that you will get any of these and don't want to worry you - don't take my word on it - get on google it and check out some reputable websites

hope this helps :happy:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I drink just as much coffee as you and have not noticed a slow down with weight loss at all. But I really don't have the answer for that one.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    If anything, coffee will give your metabolism a boost (not to mention assist in mental clarity)! Caffeine is noted for helping boost energy, metabolism... etc.

The 'bad' part of the coffee is the stuff that goes in it (sugar, cream, preservatives, artificial flavorings, chemicals...) As long as it isn't effecting your sleep, productivity or causing headaches etc. I would keep enjoying your coffee! I do :-)
  • jaycee76
    Thanks everyone

I know alot of diet tablets contain caffine. I find that drinking a nice coffee takes away the urge to eat which is why I tend to drink so much.
    The funny thing is that I can drink as much coffee and even energy drinks and it does not affect my sleep at all ! I have even been known to go for a nap (1 - 2 hours) after drinking many coffees.

It was just a thought to see if anyone had found this as I cant really see what else I could change without going to starvation levels (which I won't)
  • jaycee76
    I DONT THINK SO...MOST DIET PILLS HAVE CAFFIENE IN THEM. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE HIT A PLATEU. TRY CHANGING YOUR WORKOUT TO CREATE MUSCLE CONFUSION.

I could have hit a plateau but it seems silly when I have only been dieting a few weeks, I do try and do different workouts too. I guess I will just have to keep pushing along until something hopefully happens x
  • BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    If you are not used to working out, the following will happen (It's happenning to me right noe lol) :

You'll loose a bunch of weight, I lost 10 lbs in 1 week!! you loose all that xtra water and then you hit the plateau!
    what happens is that you muscle mass is replacing you fat mass and muscle is heavier than fat. The good thing about muscule is that it speeds up your metabolism!!
    So you'll plateau for a little bit and then start loosing again. Try mesuring your waist instead of getting on the scale, that the best way to see results, THAT will keep going down when the scale doesn't move!

Good luck! we can do it!
  • jaycee76

Thanks racermom that is very interesting. Will cut down to 2 cups initially then might go without.
This discussion has been closed.