Troubles with ViSalus

Options
I know a lot of you are against Visalus. You have your reasons why you dont want a part of it and I my reasons why I am taking the shakes. You cant post anything in here about the shakes that I havent read in any other thread posted about ViSalus...thanks anyways.

This is for those who DO take Visalus.

I started the 90 day challenge two weeks ago. For the first week I did very well...lost 5 lbs. Two shakes a day and a healthy dinner. Now Im completely falling off track already. Yesterday I only had one shake and havent had any today. I have a hard time eating throughout the day (why Im taking visalus in the first place) so I just have no ugre whatsoever to make the shakes.

Do I absolutely HAVE to have the two shakes a day for results? Or can I do one shake a day?

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    your going to put your body into starvation mode with only a shake a day and a dinner. each shakes on their own are 90 cals if made with water. If you make with skim milk 190 cals add that to a dinner and you are talking about less than a 900 cals a day and that is if your dinner is 600cal
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    your going to put your body into starvation mode with only a shake a day and a dinner. each shakes on their own are 90 cals if made with water. If you make with skim milk 190 cals add that to a dinner and you are talking about less than a 900 cals a day and that is if your dinner is 600cal

I drink the shakes with skim milk so its about 240 cals per shake. 2 scoops of the powder is 110 cals.
    Obviously this isnt ALL I am consuming in a day but I should of put that. I snack on baby carrots, fiber peanut butter bars when I need something sweet. Coffee,,,of course...Im "trying" to teach my mind to eat yet stay with in my calorie range but also trying to teach myself not to munch out everytime Im hungry, I just finished my morning coffee,,,started it at 9:30 am and its now 11am..I just figured its pointless to drink a shake when I just finished a coffee,,,or to drink it with a coffee, So I was just going to have a shake for lunch,
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of you are against Visalus. You have your reasons why you dont want a part of it and I my reasons why I am taking the shakes. You cant post anything in here about the shakes that I havent read in any other thread posted about ViSalus...thanks anyways.

I started the 90 day challenge two weeks ago. For the first week I did very well...lost 5 lbs. Two shakes a day and a healthy dinner. Now Im completely falling off track already. Yesterday I only had one shake and havent had any today. I have a hard time eating throughout the day (why Im taking visalus in the first place) so I just have no ugre whatsoever to make the shakes.

Do I absolutely HAVE to have the two shakes a day for results? Or can I do one shake a day?

You're asking if you can eat even less than you already were to get results? Maybe temporary results, but that will hurt your body in the long run. You need a minimum of 1200 calories....and a lot of people here (myself included) would suggest that you eat a minimum of your BMR calories.

One shake plus one meal probably isn't going to cut it. You'll be facing some serious negative side effects: hair loss, lack of energy, fatigue, dizziness, mood swings, etc. Just because you don't "feel" hungry doesn't mean your body doesn't need calories.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    no not pointless, if all you have is coffee in the am you are not getting your metabolisim off to a good start. You need more than just that.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Options

You're asking if you can eat even less than you already were to get results? Maybe temporary results, but that will hurt your body in the long run. You need a minimum of 1200 calories....and a lot of people here (myself included) would suggest that you eat a minimum of your BMR calories.

One shake plus one meal probably isn't going to cut it. You'll be facing some serious negative side effects: hair loss, lack of energy, fatigue, dizziness, mood swings, etc. Just because you don't "feel" hungry doesn't mean your body doesn't need calories.

Im having such a hard time controlling my calories....I either go way over in a day or way under :S
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have used Visalus, I am not against shakes, I just think they are all the same and why pay so much money when something at GNC is just as good with out the ludacris shipping price (I am in Canada).

I started out with 2 shakes a day, and I quickly realized that I wanted to chew my meals, so I only used visalus for breakfast.

I personally think you just need to pick something you can stick too. If you reduce your calories (ie have a calorie deficit) on one shake or two you will still lose weight. You dont NEED shakes to lose weight.

but if you want 2 shakes and don't feel like it, why not premake them? I would make my breakfast shake at night and refridgerate it. I would just give it a good shake in the AM to mix it back up and it was good.

Just a thought.

ETA: you can have one shake to have results but you need to replace the second shake with a meal.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with the 2 shakes, but my understanding is that one shake a day is for maintaining. I would guess that you might not get the full effect switching to one shake a day after 2 weeks.

Have you tried different things in the shake?????

I also used almond milk, which is 40 Cal per cup making the shake and powder only 150 cals per shake!

I would also eat every 2 hours, something small but healthy in between meals like cottage cheese and strawberries, raw veggies and so on.

I lost 9 lbs in my first week and a total of 13 all together, and I lost 5 inches. I have been on one shake a day since may and have not put that weight back on. You need to maintain at least 1200 calories. But stick with it, you won't be sorry because it does work!

I know some people miss the chewing, I made my shakes chunkier (with fruit) and I was still able to chew so I did not miss it at all.
  • kimad
    Options
    My shake was always: 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup frozen fruit or 1 banana, and the shake mix.

Sometimes I would do a peanut butter and banana one.. soooo good
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Im having such a hard time controlling my calories....I either go way over in a day or way under :S

One of the absolute best things you can do for yourself is not to try to weasel your way around this issue but to face it head on. Getting control over your eating habits is essential to making this change permanent.

One of the best things I ever did was learn to pre-plan. In the morning or the night before, I'd go through and fill out my diary with food I had either already prepared and was "grab and go" or was easily found or cooked up. I made it a weekly goal to stick to those plans every week. I suggest trying that first.

Also, make sure your calorie intake is around your BMR or slightly above it. Do not be afraid to eat enough. It'll give you room to eat regularly and help curb the urge to binge or splurge on trigger foods.

Don't give up on yourself just yet!

Edit to add: Eating at your BMR will still allow you to lose weight since the calories you burn through regular activity will cause a calorie deficit. It may just go slower than what you're used to. Just be patient.
  • Beckyloo80
    Options
    My shake was always: 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup frozen fruit or 1 banana, and the shake mix.

Or the apple pie one!

1/4 cup unsweetened apple cause and a little bit of cinnamon and some ice cubes..... so good!
  • LoraF83
    Options

One of the absolute best things you can do for yourself is not to try to weasel your way around this issue but to face it head on. Getting control over your eating habits is essential to making this change permanent.

One of the best things I ever did was learn to pre-plan. In the morning or the night before, I'd go through and fill out my diary with food I had either already prepared and was "grab and go" or was easily found or cooked up. I made it a weekly goal to stick to those plans every week. I suggest trying that first.

Also, make sure your calorie intake is around your BMR or slightly above it. Do not be afraid to eat enough. It'll give you room to eat regularly and help curb the urge to binge or splurge on trigger foods.

This is pretty much what I was going to say, so I'll just quote it :)
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Options
    I have used Visalus, I am not against shakes, I just think they are all the same and why pay so much money when something at GNC is just as good with out the ludacris shipping price (I am in Canada).

I started out with 2 shakes a day, and I quickly realized that I wanted to chew my meals, so I only used visalus for breakfast.

I personally think you just need to pick something you can stick too. If you reduce your calories (ie have a calorie deficit) on one shake or two you will still lose weight. You dont NEED shakes to lose weight.

but if you want 2 shakes and don't feel like it, why not premake them? I would make my breakfast shake at night and refridgerate it. I would just give it a good shake in the AM to mix it back up and it was good.

Just a thought.

ETA: you can have one shake to have results but you need to replace the second shake with a meal.

i agree with it being so expensive....Luckily, I did not pay for it lol A friend gave 3 bags to me. I have to mix them in my blender because I absolutely love the thick bubbly texture.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Options

Thats just my issue...I keep giving up. Everytime Im finally happy with my weight or just starting to lose weight....I get pregnant and gain 50 lbs. What is BMR?
  • kimad
    Options

Or the apple pie one!

1/4 cup unsweetened apple cause and a little bit of cinnamon and some ice cubes..... so good!

haha feeling a bit silly right now, I tried that one with a real apple and it was nasty!
  • Beckyloo80
    Options

Or the apple pie one!

haha feeling a bit silly right now, I tried that one with a real apple and it was nasty!

i made that mistake too! apple sauce is much better!
  • VelociMama
    Options

Thats just my issue...I keep giving up. Everytime Im finally happy with my weight or just starting to lose weight....I get pregnant and gain 50 lbs. What is BMR?

BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate. You can calculate it here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ It's the number of calories your burn by simply existing (as though you are in a coma all day). It's an estimate of how many calories you need just to survive. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is the amount of calories you burn per day based on your activity level + your BMR. This number is usually 20-40% higher than your BMR (depending on how active you are). The idea is to eat enough to keep your body properly fed and fueled with enough nutrients, but less than your TDEE so you drop the excess fat weight. It's a much more sustainable program than eating a super low calorie intake for a lot of people, and it sounds like doing this might be very beneficial to you so you have time to get a handle on your eating habits and get back the control you need.
  • LoraF83
    Options

Edit - Once again PregosaurusRex said everything I was going to say! She's awesome like that :)
  • VelociMama
    Options

Edit - Once again PregosaurusRex said everything I was going to say! She's awesome like that :)

NINJA FINGERS!
  • kimad
    Options

Or the apple pie one!

If I had some visalus I would try it, right now I have herbalife (my neighbour sells it).
    I did realize that oranges and pineapple didn't work. I tried a few from the shake list they send you. There is a rootbeer one that sounds yummy.
  • Beckyloo80
    Options

Or the apple pie one!

If I had some visalus I would try it, right now I have herbalife (my neighbour sells it).
    I did realize that oranges and pineapple didn't work. I tried a few from the shake list they send you. There is a rootbeer one that sounds yummy.

my faves were:

The chocolate mocha one (I add strawberries too, delish)
    The Apple pie one
    Strawberry banana
    Pinapple strawberry banana

I love that the shakes are so versatile, you just have to be careful about how much you put into them because you never want to make them too high in calories!

I have not heard of herbalife..... is it good?