Feel sick when jogging

Options
Ok so I do this program on my bb called "Fun run" its training me to do c5k. I walk for 5 minutes, than jog for 60 seconds, than walk for 90 seconds, jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds ...... for a total of around 35 minutes. EVERY single time I jog , even for those 60 seconds I feel sick, like I'm seriously going to throw up. I know my body is seriously not in shape, but this feeling is making me not want to jog anymore. Can someone help me out?

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What are you eating within three hours prior to your run?
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Usually protein, thats all my diet pretty much consists of lol
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

I think that answers your question
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Are you going to take your own post seriously or do you just not really want advice?

I feel nauseated if I run on a full stomach. You may be the same way. Try running on an empty(or emptier) stomach. But you also realize that your macronutrient ratios are completely imbalanced, and I'm not sure why you find that funny, but if you're not getting any carbohydrates then you're setting your body up for failure.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Carbs 2-3 hours before a run.
    Protein after.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Ok so I do this program on my bb called "Fun run" its training me to do c5k. I walk for 5 minutes, than jog for 60 seconds, than walk for 90 seconds, jog 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds ...... for a total of around 35 minutes. EVERY single time I jog , even for those 60 seconds I feel sick, like I'm seriously going to throw up. I know my body is seriously not in shape, but this feeling is making me not want to jog anymore. Can someone help me out?

My son is in the Army and he's a puker. They run first thing in the morning and he doesn't eat prior, the one time he didn't puke, it was because he ate something that had protein and carbs the night before. Give the eating at different intervals prior to your runs a shot. Might help.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    You also might be trying to run too fast... Maybe slow down the pace a little ?
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Is the nasuea also associated with gasping for breath? I'm not familiar with exactly how the program is structured but if the answer to my question is "yes" then you might need to just do walking or slow down your running intervals for now. If you have access to low impact cardio options (biking, swimming, etc.) then you might want to cross train with those at a comfortable breathing level until your body is ready for running.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have been running since May of this year so I am not expert but when I jog at my normal pace I am fine. I dont eat before. On the days I due some endurance running (running faster) I do feel like I am going to be sick. I just use mind over matter and it usually goes away. Just try and concentrate on something else. Keep it up you can do it.
  • courtneylee31
    Options
    Yes I take this very serious, Im on a low carb, high protein diet. My body is very carb sensitive, like very! Thanks everyone for your input aside from the bashing, wow!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Carbs are a great source of energy....especially for runners. Some people will tell you that your body can use protein as an energy source, the same as carbs, and that's true, but for quick energy, carbs are usually better.

I can't run with food in my stomach. I just can't do it. You might have that problem.

Or you could be trying to do too much, too soon. Or going to fast. Honestly, it could be a variety of things.
  • courtneylee31
    Options
    Thanks :), my plan is to get in some carbs before my workout today, if that doesn't work than do a workout on an empty stomach. I guess I'll just switch it up until I find whatever works :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you're running first thing in the morning then just do it on an empty stomach. If it's later in the day then try and give yourself a window of 2-3 hours with nothing to eat before running. See if that helps you out.

I typically do 5 miles in the morning first thing and just have a couple gulps of water before heading out. Your body should have plenty of energy stored to get you through an hour of running no problem.
  • phyre_5
    phyre_5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I force myself because, well, I'm required to run :) Believe me, I understand the puking sensation, I've even puked WHILE running bleck. All of the advice is great. The day before an early morning physical training test, I'd eat carbs for dinner (before 7pm) and run on an empty stomach the next morning -- best results I've ever gotten. Stil wanted to puke after pushing myself so hard, but in a good kind of pukey way ha!! Listen to your body; if you have to slow up the intervals then do that, and increase them gradually. Good luck!!!
  • jekissa729
    Options
    I did that same program and am now up to running 12 miles. I have found that I need to eat before running. I usually will eat a bowl of cereal or a Clif Bar and a bottle of water about an hour before I run. Slowing your pace will probably help. If you're running to fast, you will feel like you are going to puke. I also find that if I'm dehydrated, I feel out of breath. Hope that helps!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I had to experiment a bit - I'm a morning runner.

When I first started the C25K I used to be get sick while running on an empty stomach so I'd have to 1/2 a banana beforehand. Then at some point I started to get sick when I did eat - so now I stopped.

Then within the past 6 months I've realized when I run long distances (9+ miles) I have to eat a full banana before going or I will get sick - especially when eating things along the run.

Other tips I've picked up:
    * stay well hydrated 48 hours before any run (even training runs)
    * Slow it down, you can't go too slow (unless you're sitting on the couch)
    * focus on your breathing, breathe in/out through your mouth
    * watch your posture, make sure you're standing up straight, if you lean over too much you're not getting enough air.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I can't run on an empty stomach. I'll have a piece of fruit (either a banana or an apple) and a glass of water before I run.
  • courtneylee31
    Options
    Thanks guys I really appreciate all the great advice :)