Pain in side and in shoulder while running?

Options
Yesterday I set out for a 5 mile run (in intervals), and for the first 3 miles I was good, but around the 3rd mile I started getting pain in my left side/near my ribcage. I kept going, but then it felt like I had stabbing gas pains across my chest before it moved into my left shoulder and stayed there. I walked some more and it felt a bit better, but I have really bad health anxiety so of course I was freaking out haha. I just ran when I could and walked when I could, then my right shoulder muscle was really tight and started spazzing (probably bad form), and I had really bad pain under my right ribcage. Luckily that was at the end of my workout so I just stopped.

I had also eaten really badly for a few days before, and I was dehydrated while running. Could that be the culprit?

Replies

• drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You probably had what is commonly called a "side stitch". Most likely you were a tiny bit dehydrated, nothing to worry about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    I get side stitches a lot while running, but I normally get them lower around my waist. *shrugs* Thanks for the article though!
  • RopenChoke
    RopenChoke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. I get it from time to time in the exact same spots. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Yeah...keep yourself hydrated...Pain is just weakness leaving the body! :)
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    The same thing happens to me occasionally. I think it is air in my shoulder... sounds weird, but that's what I have chalked it up to.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I get side stitches a lot while running, but I normally get them lower around my waist. *shrugs* Thanks for the article though!

I've had those in the upper area as well, and tight shoulders from lifting at times that hurt when I run. I find that eating healthy and being hydrated are important for feeling better. I don't like to run with much food in my stomach. I used to get these a lot more earlier on but I've been running for over 30 years and rarely have problems.

You can get the stitches more often when pushing hard like with intervals. Whenever in doubt see your doctor.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    freaked me out too but after talking to my cardiologist he said that was normal and as other people have already said drink plenty of water
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I usually get it on the right side but hydrate and make sure that you are standing up straight. Hunching over (which often happens as you tire) collapses your diaphragm. Sometimes taking really deep breaths in through your nose and putting your hands over your head will ease it.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have read that the pain in the side is the muscle called the diaphragm, that is cramping from short breaths. Google, it's a article I read a long time ago.
  • filming_ghosts
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I'll definitely be sure to hydrate next time!
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing, with exertion.