Exercising with a terrible resting heart rate?

Options
I can't go to a doctor right now, laid off and don't have insurance. I started having heart problems while I was pregnant with my daughter, she was delivered early due to my preeclampsia.

Anyhow, my resting heart rate seems to be between 105-115 according to my monitor and around 95ish when I count it myself. Walking at 3.0 mph has my heart rate in the 150's, 5 mph has my heart rate around 180-182 after about 30 seconds.
I'm concerned about getting it up that high, but at the same time I figure the only way to lower it over time is to challenge it a bit.

So, I've only been doing 5.0 mph for about 30 seconds and then dropping back to 3.0 mph for the rest of the quarter mile and then repeating. I do a mile in the morning, again in the afternoon, and again at night. I'm using a treadmill as I get shin splints even walking on dirt trails. Also, walking outside around here isn't a good idea with our bear problem since two of my walks are when the bear is out and about.

Basically, is what I'm doing a good idea? Or is 5.0 mph pushing it too far since my heart rate goes so high?

Replies

• olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but since you have a history of heart problems, I would not push your heart rate up that high intentionally. I would stick with the 3.0 mph pace and continue to monitor your heartrate. Overtime, hopefully your heart health will improve and you can go faster without pushing your heart rate so high.

And see a doctor as soon as you can.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but I think you should what feels best to you. Not easiest presay but what you find moderately difficult and go from there. That being said you really should go to a doctor, even if you have to find a charity to do that. I know catholic ministries do some of that. But remember putting off a doctor's visit could mean far higher cost in the end than going now.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Since it sounds like you've had a child recently you should check out Medicaid. It's for women with children. Or could to your local social services office to see what you qualify for.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Wow - if your resting HR is that high I'd see a Doctor rather than seeking advice from strangers on an internet forum...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I understand your situation with not having medical insurance while having a spotty medical history. Been there myself. All I can say is that none of are doctors, and even if someone is, they aren't YOUR doctor. Don't take medical advice from us. Please.

Take it easy and remember that losing weight is about your calorie deficit more than your exercise level. If I had a documented history of heart problems I would not push it *when I was not covered by insurance*. Concentrate on the diet for right now. Better than safe than sorry, especially if you have children to care for.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, lots of good advice there. I think what I'll do is take it slower on the treadmill, stay around 3 miles per hour and see if after a few weeks my heart rate doesn't come down on it's own.
    In my state, medicaid only covers one postnatal appointment. I was laid off from my previous job midway through my pregnancy and ended up on medicaid for when my daughter was born. Since I had a c-section, I got to choose whether I wanted to go have my stitches taken out or go to the cardiologist, so I got the stitches taken out.
    I just hope one of these days I get a job that actually has insurance instead of the temp jobs I keep getting, so frustrating!