Eating Health AND Cheap

Options
I've always struggled with my weight. When I was in graduate school (about 4 years ago) I made the decision to lose weight. It wasn't very difficult, because my parents were supporting me. I could pretty much buy whatever food I wanted including prepackaged diet meals (not like lean cuisine - think freshly prepared) and diet coke cans (they are my sweet craving savior). When I graduated and was on my own, I found that I couldn't really afford to eat this way anymore, and gradually gained 30 lbs back that I lost.

So, that brings me to my question.... does anyone have any good, cheap easy to make recipes that can ensure that I'm eating well and not breaking my bank?

Replies

• Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Options
    Just buy UNprepared food! Fresh vegetable, meat, whole grain cereals and bread. It's not expansive if you cook yourself with good fresh food with herbs and spices. Stay away from already-make stuff.
  • stacymac
    stacymac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try salads for lunch and healthy (Shredded wheat or Uncle Sam) cereal or eggs for breakfast and if you eat meat, try buying it in bulk and freezing it. I've learned this can shave off $$ at the store.
    Produce is pretty expensive, so I've taken to purchasing my fruits and veggies in the frozen section. :happy:
    Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Frozen veggies are a cheaper alternative than fresh and are almost just as good for you, way better than canned. Buy meat in bulk, bags of chicken breast are great. I don't know where you live but I have a garden every summer that helps out for a bit! I don't buy a huge variety of food each week because it's more expensive to buy more things, but it doesn't bother me too much. I know though, some people might not want salad everyday. Canned tuna is a lean source of protein, I love tuna sandwiches. Cereals aren't too bad really. Buy things when they are sale and freeze what you can (Bread, cheeses, nuts, etc)
  • CharInBC
    Options
    Hi there, I'm a single Mom with two girls, so I'm always looking for ways to cut corners without losing the "health" factor. I've found a few websites where you can find healthy meals on a budget. Over the years we've also cut out things from our diets - ie: chips, pop, etc; we took baby steps to eliminate these types of foods. We've replaced it with healthy snacks, fruit, air popped popcorn, etc. It really does make a difference on the pocketbook as well as on the waistline. Beans & tofu are good alternatives to buying meat. If you can make a few meals a week with beans or another meat alternative that would be cost saving. I have this recipe for my lunchtime meal....chick peas, tuna, cilantro, fresh ground pepper, flax seed and any type of low calorie salad dressing you like! I have it with a wholewheat bun or salad greens. Delicious and inexpensive! :) Good luck with everything...change takes time and you'll find things that will work well in your lifestyle. Here are the websites:

http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/healthy-recipes-superfoods

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    eating vegetarian often saves A LOT of money! quick things like salads and curries with rice are easy, good and way cheap...and you can make a lot to have leftovers for lunch! beans and legumes are cheap and full of protein and fiber...rice and noodles are cheap (even though not super low on calories), but you can do vegetable stir fry with rice (frozen veggies make it super quick and convenient), pasta with olive oil and veggies...eggs are cheap...whole foods in general are cheaper, although meat is expensive! yogurt and cottage cheese are great sources of protein and calcium. if you don't have a crockpot, get one...you can throw stuff in there in the morning and have dinner ready when you get home. if you must have some pre-packaged, convenience foods, trader joe's has tasty, healthy choices that are cheaper than typical grocery store fair.
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    If you stick to simple unprocessed foods you will see that it actually it is cheaper. We buy chicken thighs, which are really cheap, milk, cheese, bread, eggs, fruits and vegetables, brown rice and whole wheat noodles. That is all we buy really. From there you can cook a lot and if you make a point to use everything up and not waste anything then you will see that it is not that expensive.

Cheap produce during winter (at least where I live!)
    apples, oranges, banana.
    cabbage, onions, potatoes. Sometimes celery.
    You can also add some frozen veggies and dried fruits, like raisins.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yes, avoid packaged, pre-made foods..... esp. SNACKS like crackers, cookies etc. = $$$ :grumble: :noway:
    You can cook a few meals at a time and freeze or refrigerate to eat later.

Some foods can be bought in bulk, like beans, brown rice, meat to freeze etc.
    Buy small amounts of fresh produce at a time to use up before it goes bad.

My local New Seasons (health food market chain), is having great weekly sales since the economy is down.
    I've been watching the ads and getting great deals on yogurt, canned tomatoes, tea and vitamin supplements for ex.

Good luck & your body will thank you for the extra effort! :love: :flowerforyou: